SQ221 or SQ231 and Changi museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ221 or SQ231 and Changi museum

I am booking a trip ARN (Stockholm)-SIN-SYD with a 3 night stopover in SIN.
    My question is flying SIN-SYD, 2 flights to choose from:
    SQ221 20.35-07.40
    SQ231 00.45-11.50

My plan was to book the 20.35, I want to visit the Changi Museum and thought we might do that on the way to the airport. The museum closes at 5 pm, so we can then go straight to the airport.

On the other hand the 00.45 flight gives us a few more hours in SIN, so we have more time to go to the museum and back to hotel at any time.

We have 3 kids (ages 5,9 and 11) might be a bit tired for the 00.45, but still they are on European jet lag time, so maybe not a problem...

What do you think?

You would have probably adjusted to SIN time given 3 night stopover.
    SQ221 arrives SYD a bit early. Probably, bedtime is calling much earlier than you would like to be.
    Question is do you have a short stay in Australia? Do you need to maximise your time?
    SQ231 is a bit late for your kids. If you are stretching your kids a bit, there are things to do in the airport.
    Would you prefer to sleep on the late flight? And you are not so bothered about inflight food?

Comment

Originally posted by crl View Post
      I am booking a trip ARN (Stockholm)-SIN-SYD with a 3 night stopover in SIN.
      My question is flying SIN-SYD, 2 flights to choose from:
      SQ221 20.35-07.40
      SQ231 00.45-11.50

My plan was to book the 20.35, I want to visit the Changi Museum and thought we might do that on the way to the airport. The museum closes at 5 pm, so we can then go straight to the airport.

On the other hand the 00.45 flight gives us a few more hours in SIN, so we have more time to go to the museum and back to hotel at any time.

We have 3 kids (ages 5,9 and 11) might be a bit tired for the 00.45, but still they are on European jet lag time, so maybe not a problem...

What do you think?
      Apart from the considerations you listed, you may also want to consider whether you want to lug all your luggage to the Changi Museum before heading to the airport. Yes, they are both in the general direction, but Singapore is not so big that it is inconvenient to make a separate trip there.

Secondly, is there a special reason to go to Changi Museum? I don't find the place particularly interesting for kids. It is a smallish museum, which displays mostly pictures and artefacts from WWII.

Bear in mind that the SIN-SYD flight is only about 7 hours and with two meals thrown in (one main, one small, if my memory serves me right), you really don't have much sleep time especially if you're in Y (the lights will be on and they'll push your seat upright for the meals - even if you don't want to eat - if the pax behind you wants to). Therefore you may want to consider a day flight?
      Last edited by CarbonMan; 31 October 2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I usually come back to Sydney on SQ211. It leaves SIN at 9.40 so it's not too early a start, and arrives in Sydney at 8.35 in the evening. Much more pleasant than an overnight flight, particularly if you've already started to acclimatise to Singapore time.

Rob

Comment

Agree with the above posters. When I fly home to MEL (same flight time as SYD) after a trip away I do everything possible to avoid an overnight flight out of SIN. It's too short to sleep on due to the meal services- you will get 3 hours if you're lucky. Then you have to stay awake all day and your hotel rooms won't be ready most likely.

The day flight arrives with enough time to get to a hotel and settle, then sleep.
          I go home and sleep and then get up the next day and it feels more normal.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.
            We have a long stay in Sydney, so we dont have to take that in to concideration.
            We are now planning 4 nights in SIN, so hopefylly we have adjusted, got over the jetlag.
            Maybe the day flight is better then.
            The only downside is that we then miss a few hours we could have spent in SIN.

Comment

I wanted to see the Changi Museum to see a bit of WWII history in SIN, but may there are better museums/tours for that?

Comment

Originally posted by crl View Post
                I wanted to see the Changi Museum to see a bit of WWII history in SIN, but may there are better museums/tours for that?
                I'd recommend a visit to Fort Siloso at Sentosa, I believe they have tours that offer quite the prospective to not only the British era pre/during WWII but the Japanese occupation and ousting post WWII as well!

^Gosh I hope i've got my facts right.
                The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

I would definitely avoid the midnight flight when traveling with three small children. They are gonna be so out of it especially when you need them to be awake and alert duing arrival in SYD.

Do the Changi museum tour if you're a WWII buff, but on the day of departure, take it easy and limit your pre-hotel departure activities. At the airport, there will be enough cultural distractions for you and the kids before your flight
                  Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                    I'd recommend a visit to Fort Siloso at Sentosa, I believe they have tours that offer quite the prospective to not only the British era pre/during WWII but the Japanese occupation and ousting post WWII as well!

^Gosh I hope i've got my facts right.
                    There's also quite a comprehensive section on WWII, as part of a historical development of the island at the Singapore Museum right in the city. They have a free guided tour twice a day as well which is a plus because the guide add a bit more info that reading the exhibits.

Comment

Thanks again. I have changed ot the day flight and we have 4 nights in SIN, so I hope I can see a little bit of WWII history.

Comment

Working...
                      X