Which Hotel in SYD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Hotel in SYD?

In combination with my 30th b'day, and one of the few routes with the 744 still operating i am thinking of doing an trip from SIN-SYD in F for me and the missus in June.

Never been to SYD before and looks like its going to be a choice between th Four Seasons and the Shangri La. Any comments on either? The rooms at the FS look quite small. Also what are the club levels like?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions.

J

I'll try another last ride of the SQ 744 SIN<=>SYD run in May, after my unforgettable one in Jan 2009 on SFO<=>HKG run.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=25

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=26

Let's hope the swine flu won't affect my plan...

I'll stay at the Hotel Formule 1 Sydney Airport for 1 night where the price is quite reasonable for an AU$79 per night plus the apron view at the SYD airport.

http://www.accorhotels.com.au/5957/detail/default.aspx

Comment

SQTalker: Hotel Formule 1 is pretty far from the city centre, so you won't see much except planes (but no problems with that, you seem like you're into that)

I did the Four Points and Sheraton and while the Sheraton rooms (without a view, $40 cheaper) are nicer, the service and politeness at the Four Points (plus the view over Darling Harbour) and the cheaper cost wins my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamiegutz View Post
        Never been to SYD before and looks like its going to be a choice between th Four Seasons and the Shangri La. Any comments on either? The rooms at the FS look quite small. Also what are the club levels like?
        Jamie,

As you've never been to SYD before - I suggest you stay at the Park Hyatt. Quite simply the location does not get any better

However if that's not to your liking and you're set on the Four Seasons or Shangri-La - I would suggest you book at least a Junior Suite as both these hotel rooms are quite small as a standard room type. IIRC somewhere in the vicinity of 26 square meteres.

Can't comment on the Club Floor at Shangri-La, but the Executive Club at the FS (Level 32) has (at night) an amazing view of the Harbour, with that being said the Shangri-La's hotel bar Blue Horizon (Level 36) has equally amazing views of the Harbour at night.

Originally posted by SQTalker
        I'll stay at the Hotel Formule 1 Sydney Airport for 1 night where the price is quite reasonable for an AU$79 per night plus the apron view at the SYD airport.
        As for the Airport hotels, you wont see much staying at the F1, mostly Biz Jets and General Aviation. If you want a full view of the airport and a little more comfort, try the Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport. Generally they have half decent rates and views over the entire airport precinct.
        Last edited by Gunnar Smithsen; 30 April 2009, 07:17 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

The Horizon Club Lounge at the Shangri-La is very nice with great views of the harbour. Stayed there twice now and was impressed. I also liked the Sheraton on the Park, particularly the ability to sit outside the Exec Lounge.

I have also stayed at the Harbour Marriott and it's alright. I do actually like the 4P at Darling Harbour, but if you're looking at the FS and Shangri-La then the 4P won't be for you as it's not quite in the same category!!

The IC has a nice club lounge with views but I was not overly impressed with the hotel itself, even after staying there a few times as IC RA.

Comment

Just to add, the new Hilton is also nice since it's renovated 1-2 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by andySYD View Post
              Just to add, the new Hilton is also nice since it's renovated 1-2 years ago.
              A little bit longer than 1-2 years andySYD. It would be closer to 3-4 years IIRC.

That being said, the Hilton really isn't in the same league as FS, SL or PH as far as views or location go.

And that's not to say that the Hilton isn't a nice hotel (it's very nice and I do enjoy visiting there) but just not the same level.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                As you've never been to SYD before - I suggest you stay at the Park Hyatt. Quite simply the location does not get any better
                I totally agree. Pretty much the only reason I stay there myself.
                Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by SQTalker View Post
                  I'll try another last ride of the SQ 744 SIN<=>SYD run in May, after my unforgettable one in Jan 2009 on SFO<=>HKG run.
                  Yup...the 50% promo for SQ231/220 will come in handy during May's run.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Have decided on the Shangri La as the Normal deluxe rooms are 40 sq metres vs the Four seasos which are 26 sq metres (i didnt know hotel rooms go that small).

Normally i am loyal to Hyatt wherever i travel but the Park Hyatt in SYD seems a little pricey to me.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                      Yup...the 50% promo for SQ231/220 will come in handy during May's run.
                      Really...so if I paid the J class fare & upgrade to F, SQ will only deduct 20000 miles one way instead of the saver award 40000 miles...?

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Have decided on the Shangri La as the Normal deluxe rooms are 40 sq metres vs the Four seasos which are 26 sq metres (i didnt know hotel rooms go that small).

Normally i am loyal to Hyatt wherever i travel but the Park Hyatt in SYD seems a little pricey to me.

Cheers!
                        What were the price differentials?
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                          What were the price differentials?
                          Got a Deluxe Room in the Shang for A$250. Park Hyatt asking A$ 645 for lowest category room.

J

Comment

Got a Deluxe Room in the Shang for A$250. Park Hyatt asking A$ 645 for lowest category room.
                            Wow. HUGE difference!
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Q: IC or Shang?

I can get a rather good rate @ both and the difference is that the Shang is S$33 more than the IC.

Which would you choose?

Comment

Working...
                              X