Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A|Club - The New Loyalty Program of Accor/Sofitel/Mercure...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But that's the thing! After some 'debate', shall we say, with the VIE staff, they actually can allow it. It's just SOP for them to refuse and come up with some other arbitrary check-out time... not a single time did I ever just have a kind 'no problem, we'll handle that for you' (something I've 80-90% of the time received when staying with Hilton or SPG, even when they are running very high occupancies in peak periods, whether it's NY or Christmas - anyway, no more ranting from me about the VIE... hehe)

Another thing I've noticed, MGallery/Pullman/Sofitel is supposed to accord 'special benefits' of some sort to A|C Gold or higher - I've stayed from St Moritz in NZ, to VIE BKK, to just last week, Cradle Mountain Lodge in Tassie - none of these properties have a bloody clue about this provision of 'special benefit' which is a stated perk... what does that actually mean?

Cradle Mountain: "Eh? A|Club? I think you get just the points, yeah..."

///
    A|Club Gold status
    With 30 nights or 10,000 A|Club points.

- 75% A|Club points bonus for every stay
    Exclusive benefits at Sofitel*, Pullman and MGallery hotels.
    - Welcome drink and gift
    - A room ALWAYS AVAILABLE if you reserve at least 5 days before your arrival.
    - Room upgrade**
    - Late check-out up to 4:00 pm**

A|Club Platinum status
    With 60 nights or 25,000 A|Club points.

Benefit from all the advantages of A|Club Gold status, plus:
    - 100% A|Club points bonus for every stay
    - A room ALWAYS AVAILABLE (at Sofitel*, Pullman and MGallery) if you reserve at least 3 days before your arrival.
    - A Thalassa sea & spa Institute beauty and treatment product when you stay at Sofitel Thalassa sea & spa
    - A welcome gift for any stay of 10 nights or more at Adagio, plus late check-out**
    - Dedicated customer service

* Except Thalassa sea & spa
    ** upon request, and subject to availability
    ///

Edit: I just realised this is probably better off in the dedicated A|Club thread, could these last couple of posts be merged where feasible?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
      In all fairness, if the hotel is fully booked - the 4pm check out does not have to be accommodated...

Though in your defence lingua101 you did try and negotiate a 2pm extension - which, depending on a number of factors e.g your room type, expected arrival times of arriving guests etc could have been accommodated - did you in the end get your 4pm extension after your little tantrum?

What happened at Mercure Bali?

Gunnar, VIE guest are mostly QF air crew. I think 4pm check out I think should be able be accommodate as most of the crew will arrive late night, IMO.

Well at the end they did let me keep the room until 2pm. Well what I hate is this lady does not even bother to check. Like Kyo said is like their standard, you must be out by 1pm no matter what.

If they are sincerely full, I can really understand. Even then what make so much different between 1pm and 2pm.... Not all guest will arrive at 3pm right?

You know what it costs them? I got 2 nights FOC plus they served me wine on my arrivals and give me a passport holder as a gift

Actually as a A-Club Platinum you are entitle for late 4pm check out at M-Gallery, Sofitel and Pullman brand when avail. My question how you how if the room is really avail or just the hotel simply refuse to give?

I always get my 4pm check out at Sofitel Silom.

Pullman I am ok as I know the DFO
      visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        But that's the thing! After some 'debate', shall we say, with the VIE staff, they actually can allow it. It's just SOP for them to refuse and come up with some other arbitrary check-out time... not a single time did I ever just have a kind 'no problem, we'll handle that for you' (something I've 80-90% of the time received when staying with Hilton or SPG, even when they are running very high occupancies in peak periods, whether it's NY or Christmas - anyway, no more ranting from me about the VIE... hehe)

Another thing I've noticed, MGallery/Pullman/Sofitel is supposed to accord 'special benefits' of some sort to A|C Gold or higher - I've stayed from St Moritz in NZ, to VIE BKK, to just last week, Cradle Mountain Lodge in Tassie - none of these properties have a bloody clue about this provision of 'special benefit' which is a stated perk... what does that actually mean?

Cradle Mountain: "Eh? A|Club? I think you get just the points, yeah..."

///
        A|Club Gold status
        With 30 nights or 10,000 A|Club points.

- 75% A|Club points bonus for every stay
        Exclusive benefits at Sofitel*, Pullman and MGallery hotels.
        - Welcome drink and gift
        - A room ALWAYS AVAILABLE if you reserve at least 5 days before your arrival.
        - Room upgrade**
        - Late check-out up to 4:00 pm**

A|Club Platinum status
        With 60 nights or 25,000 A|Club points.

Benefit from all the advantages of A|Club Gold status, plus:
        - 100% A|Club points bonus for every stay
        - A room ALWAYS AVAILABLE (at Sofitel*, Pullman and MGallery) if you reserve at least 3 days before your arrival.
        - A Thalassa sea & spa Institute beauty and treatment product when you stay at Sofitel Thalassa sea & spa
        - A welcome gift for any stay of 10 nights or more at Adagio, plus late check-out**
        - Dedicated customer service

* Except Thalassa sea & spa
        ** upon request, and subject to availability
        ///

Edit: I just realised this is probably better off in the dedicated A|Club thread, could these last couple of posts be merged where feasible?
        Kyo, totally agree with you on that matter. Especially on their first year. total chaos!!

In fact I told them the same. I am only Hilton Blue, but they treat me much better in that respect. 2pm checkout is quite standard (if they are not fully book). Even that, some up-scale hotel normally reserve some room for their top guess. Well, I suppose that's not the Accor practice.

Kyo, are you starting a new threat?
        visit my blog

Comment

Hahahah now I know why I switched from Rooms Division to F&B...

Comment

I have no complaints about the F&B at either location really, both are acceptable! Good job, matey!

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
              My question how you how if the room is really avail or just the hotel simply refuse to give?
              Lingua101, how could you be so untrusting? They are in the hospitality business, so they are *sure* to tell the truth, right?

Sadly, this question also bothers me, so I take a different approach. I start off by asking how much would it cost for a late checkout. Or, on arrival at the hotel, I ask how much it would cost to upgrade my room, or for a basket of fruit. They are always happy to quote some ridiculous price. This proves availability. Then I turn round and say, actually, now that I think about it, doesn't my status entitle me to get this for free?

Unfortunately, some hotels still won't play ball. Everybody's favourite, the VIE, for example, wouldn't give me a room upgrade. After quoting me 20,000baht/night for a suite, they told me they couldn't possibly upgrade me for free - I'm sorry Sir, you're already in our best possible room. Our suites are not considered as an upgrade - they are a class beyond. Does this sound familiar from anywhere ?

Comment

Originally posted by DinkumDave View Post
                Sadly, this question also bothers me, so I take a different approach. I start off by asking how much would it cost for a late checkout. Or, on arrival at the hotel, I ask how much it would cost to upgrade my room, or for a basket of fruit. They are always happy to quote some ridiculous price. This proves availability. Then I turn round and say, actually, now that I think about it, doesn't my status entitle me to get this for free?
                Crafty and evil ... Me likes ...
                Unfortunately, some hotels still won't play ball. Everybody's favourite, the VIE, for example, wouldn't give me a room upgrade. After quoting me 20,000baht/night for a suite, they told me they couldn't possibly upgrade me for free - I'm sorry Sir, you're already in our best possible room. Our suites are not considered as an upgrade - they are a class beyond. Does this sound familiar from anywhere ?
                As I said, evil.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Sounds like the VIE staff are on a paid upgrade upsell incentive, i.e you pay for the upgrade and the staffer gets a commission of that upsell. Not completely uncommon in most 5* properties...

I know the staff at the Sofitel Silom are on this incentive, I was 'persuaded' into it when I visited in August. Initially she quoted me B1200 per night on top of my rate to upgrade to an Executive Club room, when I baulked at that price, she dropped it to B800 per night and I didn't get the Exec Room just the priviliges associated with it - win/win...

For the cost of 24hrs internet access per day, I got the added benefits of the exec club - well that's how I justified it anyway

Comment

Lingua101, how could you be so untrusting? They are in the hospitality business, so they are *sure* to tell the truth, right?

DinkumDave - It is not that I am untrsuting. It is just puzzle me. Coz, some even said, we can only let you checkout at 2pm, but beyond that you have to pay Then my logic will conclude so actually it is not because the room is not available, but they simply just do not want to give it to you for free. If they are really full house, even I want to pay there should be no way I can extend my stay.

Not sure if my logic is logical enough. That's why I am asking opinion (May be I am just too much??)

When I stayed in Doubletree Hotel KL last October, I called on Friday to check if I can do early check in as I will arrive on Saturday every morning (8am). I was told cannot as the room type I booked was fully back the night before. Actually I did went to Hilton website and try to book for Friday and I still able to find rooms.

That's why it makes me wonder. A quick check with a friend in hospitality industry, his answer is simply "why they should give it to you for free?"

Of course in this case I can understand, but in the case of the benefit of member at certain level, I really wonder if the hotel will always "honest" enough to give this benefit.

Anyway, they can always simply say no room available and almost impossible for us to check right?

Just wonder.......
                    visit my blog

Comment

Sounds like the VIE staff are on a paid upgrade upsell incentive, i.e you pay for the upgrade and the staffer gets a commission of that upsell. Not completely uncommon in most 5* properties...

I know the staff at the Sofitel Silom are on this incentive, I was 'persuaded' into it when I visited in August. Initially she quoted me B1200 per night on top of my rate to upgrade to an Executive Club room, when I baulked at that price, she dropped it to B800 per night and I didn't get the Exec Room just the priviliges associated with it - win/win...

For the cost of 24hrs internet access per day, I got the added benefits of the exec club - well that's how I justified it anyway
                      I used to get a lot of trouble when I stayed in Sofitel Silom like 5-6 years ago. The first year I joined the AdvantagePlus and I still remember it till now.

I booked 4 nights there (all free nights. 3 nights with AMEX and 1 nights with the AdvantagePlus voucher). You know what since day 4, they kept asking me with the AdvantagePlus voucher which I told them I have given to them how on earth I will give it again to you.

But they never stop troubling me with this. They even told me to pay 1/2 price (USD90) which I refused. I told them this is a matter of principle, I have given the voucher upon checkin, even you offer me THB1 price, I will not pay, as it means that I admitted I never give the voucher to you.

If your staff lose the voucher, then it is your problem. Even I did not give the voucher upon checkin (which I did), then it becomes your process issue, and that is not my problem! And I told you I want to talk to the Manager and stop bothering me with this nonsense.

You know what that night when I returned to my room, I saw a plates of chocolates and an apology card from the FOM and told me they found the voucher. Stupid right...

Well, feel free to comment if you think I am too much.

They did few blunders over years, until when I stayed in 2007 I felt their level of service improve much compare to last time, so when I checkin on the second time on the same period (after I came back from Hua Hin, I think), the GM sent me a card an elephants miniature for paper weight I think

Personally I feel the service in Sofitel Silom is now much better (as they are now very willing to pay for a experience staffs), but still there are still many room for improvement as now Accor is trying to rebrand Sofitel as their high end brand
                      visit my blog

Comment

Actually the Sofitel Executive club is nothing much. I always got upgraded to Club floor as I was Platinum member last year. The room is just simply more pillows and towels. There are few room in Sofitel Silom which is much bigger than other (even in non Club floor), I stayed there before. I think xx04 room.

The breakfast in the Club floor is suck.... I prefer to have it on the 2nd floor. More selection
                        visit my blog

Comment

but still there are still many room for improvement as now Accor is trying to rebrand Sofitel as their high end brand
                          That's already happened with the inception of Pullman & MGallery hotels

Sofitel being the 'luxury' leisure brand, Pullman being the 'luxury' corporate brand, MGallery being boutique'esque, Grand Mercure, Novotel, Mercure, Ibis, All Seasons, F1...

Comment

That's already happened with the inception of Pullman & MGallery hotels

Sofitel being the 'luxury' leisure brand, Pullman being the 'luxury' corporate brand, MGallery being boutique'esque, Grand Mercure, Novotel, Mercure, Ibis, All Seasons, F1...
                            Yeah, I know the reason for introduction of Pullman is because Accor want to bring Sofitel to the higher ground. The so-called luxury collection. You have seen over the past 3 years there are many Sofitel around the worlds that has been re-branded as Pullman or something else. The very obvious one is the one just across the causeway.

What I heard from my friend who used to work at the Peninsula BKK. The so-called upscale brand hotel will refuse to join a trade show if they see or know Sofitel is there. Not sure if this has changed
                            visit my blog

Comment

You have seen over the past 3 years there are many Sofitel around the worlds that has been re-branded as Pullman or something else. The very obvious one is the one just across the causeway.
                              It also has a fair bit to do with the owners of the hotels, if the owners aren't willing to bring the hotel up to the standard it will get pegged back a brand...

Another notable property to be re-branded from Sofitel is the Sofitel Seminyak - she's now part of the MGallery brand, although I don't see this as a negative for the property itself, IMO, it quite suits the MGallery brand better.

For those playing at home her new name is: The Royal Beach Seminyak Bali

Comment

What happened at Mercure Bali?
                                They pissed me off big time. OK I will try to keep this as short as possible.

I booked 2 rooms at Mercure Kuta (2 1-double beed rooms) during the Easter long weekend (starting from Thursday before the Good-Friday. I booked to Double bed room, as 1 room is for me and the other room is for my party who flew from Jakarta.

Upon arrival, they told me they give me 2 adjacent rooms. When I checked the room, to my surprise they gave me rooms with very nice view. A construction site next door! When I opened the other room, it saw it was a room with 2-single beds. This is not acceptable as both of us travel alone. Does not make sense to have 2-single beds. Those familiar with Accor know that you make a booking base on the beds type (not upon request).

I told that I never request for adjacent room. Hence although I appreciate it that they gave me room next to each other but this is not acceptable. But they just simply reply me no more room. I told them I don't care since I book double-bed and they have to settle it for me and I demand to see the Duty Manager (DM) or some one in higher authority

(Actually they did show me one room that has just re-painted and the paint smell is still very strong, you can even smell it from outside and this is on the other side of the building)

I left them and went for dinner as I was so hungry.

About an hour later, I came back and they said the DM is available and I talked to him. This guy is so yaya, as if he does not care and just told me "the rooms is full and what do you want". I reminded him few times that I am an AClub Gold (downgraded already) and AdvantagePlus member for the past 6 years. He simply does not care. I even threaten to bring this matter to the GM (which I quote the name) and Gerard (the VP for Indo, Sing, and Mal). He still does not care much.

Anyway, after long debate, he brought me to one room (somewhere nearby the room with the paint smell) and asked me if I am ok with this room. I asked him why only now they offered me this room. He told me this room actually a deluxe room, where I only book standard room (the only different is just the deluxe room has a flat panel TV).

I told him I am ok with the room and (since my partner will arrive after midnight and ok with the paint smell) I told him I also want that room. He was not happy and try to argue with me. He told me there is only 1 room with issue (i.e. wrong bed types) and why I asked for both rooms to be upgraded. I was really upset. I told him that room anyway was block anway (as the paint smell is still very strong). He still tried to argue here and there. Anyway at the end he gave the room.

But this whole things took about 3 hours and wasting my time.

If they just simply upgrade the room for me I will be very happy. But at that point I was so pissed!!!

I wrote email to Gerard and cc the GM. That was about 9pm. By midnight I got a reply from him saying he will has his VP Operation together with the GM to look into it and will get back to me.

I was quite impress actually on the speed of his reply.

Weeks after weeks past, there is no update from them on this matter. A month later I reminded him again and simply no reply at all.

This what pissed me off more than the incident itself!!!!

I hate it when someone promise something and never deliver. He was the one said that they will get back to me on this, but they failed to do it. What I need is just simply an acknowledgment that there is short fall and the hotel part and they will try to improve it! That's it!! Of course I will always welcome any token of gift

When I was very upset with SIA on the 1hours+ delay on my Jakarta flight, I wrote a complain letter. I know SIA won't care much as I bought a discounted fare and I am only a basic member. But at least they still bother to reply and thanks for the "feedback".

I swear that I will never go back to Mercure Kuta anymore (this is for sure). Actually I planned to not renew my AdvantagePlus again (for the 6 times) last July. But the girl sweet talks me and said "the issue is only with Mecure Kuta right, but not the other place......." so damn.... I renew it for this year....

Since I am so called their loyal customer (being AdvantagePlus member for the past 6 years), I do expect them to at least treat me with some kind of respect, especially when I wrote a "long-complain" email..... Not so sure if I have to high expectation though
                                visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                                X