No announcement yet.

Manila Hotel recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Marriott Renaissance Makati has a very nice executive lounge that is open 24 hours. Three computers in the lounge with internet access. Cook to order eggs in the morning. Rice in the morning. ^

Comment

I am getting into MNL at 1315, and leaving the very next morning on a 0630 departure ( !). So I need a hotel for a few hours of shut eye and to freshen up.

I was wondering if someone could suggest a hotel that's cheap (for such a short stay -- maybe below US$100 if possible?), yet clean and comfy. Preferably in a nice neighbourhood with restaurants, cafes etc.

Cheerios.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

If the Pen has lots of rooms, they might be able to do it. When I stayed there last year, the rate was $135 / night -- however, I paid MUCH less.
        HUGE AL

Comment

I ended up in the Makati Shangri-La last month. I paid about 120 GBP for the Sunday and 150 GBP for the Monday, booked quiote close to arrival. I would definitely stay there again, it was patircularly handy for nipping across to the the Green Belt at night as it's just behind.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            I ended up in the Makati Shangri-La last month ... I would definitely stay there again, it was patircularly handy for nipping across to the the Green Belt at night as it's just behind.
            Always a good sign when SQfg recommends a place.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Another thing you can do is chance it completely and ask upon arrival. When you exit MNL airport, all the large hotels have offices across the street in the center aisle. You can ask each of them what their recommendations are. I just remembered we had to do that on my last trip since the Pen screwed up our booking. They actually arranged a night at a hotel near them (if I can remember the name and price, I'll edit this post) for an extremely low price.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                Another thing you can do is chance it completely and ask upon arrival.
                That sounds like a good idea if I'd get an ad hoc low rate. Would MNL be busy in July though? And no probs with not having an address on the landing card?
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  Always a good sign when SQfg recommends a place.

Maybe the Makati SL grew on me since it was the very first hotel I ever stayed in in the Philippines.

I'll never forget arriving at NAIA from KUL at around the same time as my boss's boss's boss's boss's boss from HKG. He was President of the Asia Pac region at the time, and I was a 3 month old company "veteran", and he was with another high up from one of our suppliers.

This Hotel E-Class Mercedes Benz shows up - and I graciously offer it to him, seeing as I thought it was pretty much beyond my station. He says thanks, and just as he's about to get in, this S-Class Mercedes Benz pops up behind the first car and by default becomes my ride..... :o . Very embarassing for me, he just chuckled.

Turns out my maniacal driver managed to beat him on the 6 mile run into Makati. We took about 3 hours 5 minutes. (anyone who knows EDSA will attest to this). The more sedate E class driver took 3 hours 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    Turns out my maniacal driver managed to beat him on the 6 mile run into Makati. We took about 3 hours 5 minutes. (anyone who knows EDSA will attest to this). The more sedate E class driver took 3 hours 15 minutes.

I don't really know EDSA but is that normally how long it takes to get from the airport to the city?? Or only when one of those massive protest rallies take place?

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post

I don't really know EDSA but is that normally how long it takes to get from the airport to the city?? Or only when one of those massive protest rallies take place?
                      It depends. The run is more typically 40-45 minutes, however during rush hour - 3 hours is possible, but it's on the upper end of the scale.

*EDSA= Epifanio De La Santos Avenue - which, IIRC, you'll have no choice but to navigate to get from NAIA to Makati.

Comment

I know nothing about MNL at all so this might sound totally daft - but, going off what I've read thus far on here and elsewhere, would it be correct to suggest that Makati City is THE place to stay at for a leisure visit?

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          I know nothing about MNL at all so this might sound totally daft - but, going off what I've read thus far on here and elsewhere, would it be correct to suggest that Makati City is THE place to stay at for a leisure visit?
                          possibly. Metro Manila is in reality a huge metropolis consisting of 16/17 cities IIRC.

For a first timer - yeah, Makati.

There are many other treasures though, but you could leave that for next time.

I'm also particularly fond of QC, Marikina, Caloocan.

IMHO though, the real gems in the Philippines are taking drives up the McArthur highway all the way to the Agoo/Bauang/San Fernando, La Union stretch. This stretch is possibly my favourite place in all the Philippines.

Ahh Memories of the Cabana Beach Resort.

There's an idyllic charm about that place... but I'm digressing, really.

So yes, Makati for the first timer. All the shops you could want - Greenbelt/Glorietta/SM/Rustans/Mercury Drugstore ......

Can anyone tell I'm missing the place?

Comment

Cheers, SQFG. I'll now try to look for an elcheapo place to stay in Makati. Seeing Green Belt mentioned a few times I might try to stay near there.

Comment

Greenbelt is one word . It's one area (actually a couple of blocks -- it's like saying 'Flatiron' for NYC) of Makati City, which, because it's the business district, might be challenging in terms of cheap (relative to other parts of Metro Manila) accommodations.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                                possibly. Metro Manila is in reality a huge metropolis consisting of 16/17 cities IIRC.

For a first timer - yeah, Makati.

There are many other treasures though, but you could leave that for next time.

I'm also particularly fond of QC, Marikina, Caloocan.

So yes, Makati for the first timer. All the shops you could want - Greenbelt/Glorietta/SM/Rustans/Mercury Drugstore ......

Can anyone tell I'm missing the place?
                                I think I need to get recommendations from you about my country of birth!

The row of places on the street that I walked on to get from the KLCC to the Shang reminded me of some of Metro Manila's nightlife spots.

Comment

Working...
                                X