No announcement yet.

Start of another round of cost-cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The nuts could go, so could the menus (nice touch but anyway less than 50% of passengers are looking at them), the amenity kit is useless anyway.
    But if they cut all that, they have less reason to justify their premium pricing. The saving is not that big either.

3-4-3 in the 77Ws would just add capacity SQ would need to fill. More empty seats flying around. Not sure if this added capacity is required.

In my opinion the cost savings are somewhere else:

The ageing 777 regional fleet comes into my mind (some of them still stored in the desert). Especially the last retrofitting round of some of the old birds didn't make sense to me. Cut the losses and sell them. Stick to newer more efficient planes. Anyway, I believe that SQs fleet is to big for the network they are providing.

Cut the tag-on flights within Europe and Australia (or don't even start them). They are nice to have, surely enable SQ to offer more destinations, but they are costly. And the destinations are usually low-yield.

Cut flights which are not performing, some of the new routes for instance are not doing that well. SQs focus needs to shift away from the crowded Europe routes, they cant fight ME3 with cost cutting.

Comment

I think we're all jumping a bit far ahead here. You have to spend money to make money and it was inevitable that their recent network expansion would cost them initially at least. They can't keep letting the ME3 eat them alive and it's clear that the European airlines are more than happy to team up with SQ to create a united front by providing seamless connections to small destinations.

Two years from now, the fleet will be much more efficient with more A350s and 787s arriving each quarter, so at least some of the old 777s will be gone, but I'd agree that refitting the oldest of the 772s is a perplexing move.

Yes, the nuts could go as filling the cabin in the first 30 minutes of a 13 hour flight with nut fragments when so many people have severe allergies to them defies all common sense, and yes they are full of palm oil, but I don't think they cost that much in the big picture.

Menus on the IFE screen would be quite an innovation. The socks are likely to stay though because they are sort of a response to the whole DVT scare, with airlines being told to be more responsible about the issue. The toothpaste could go into the holder in the bathroom, but it needs to be available either way.

If the hot towels disappear, they may as well close down operations. It's a symbol of hospitality that sets them apart and it's far too intrinsic to the SQ experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
        Two years from now, the fleet will be much more efficient with more A350s and 787s arriving each quarter, so at least some of the old 777s will be gone, but I'd agree that refitting the oldest of the 772s is a perplexing move.
        My take on the refurbishment of the SV 772s is that if SQ really has to keep some 772s flying because the A330s are going, they might as well keep the ones fitted with the long-haul J since it's a better product and also gives them more versatility in deployment. Also, I think they've started to realize that mid-haul routes (especially to Australia) need to be serviced by flat-beds in order to keep up with the competition. I suspect as the A350 starts to go to Rome, and the 77W to CPH, we will see more SV replacing the A330s that go to Australia, as we already do see with Brisbane and Perth. They need to have at least the 2006 IFE standards in order to match up to EK, CX etc.. The A330s released will then be returned to lessors.

Menus on the IFE screen would be quite an innovation.
        I could see them easily incorporating it into the newest touch-screen Krisworld in Y.

The socks are likely to stay though because they are sort of a response to the whole DVT scare, with airlines being told to be more responsible about the issue. The toothpaste could go into the holder in the bathroom, but it needs to be available either way.
        Agree that if they can dispense the items individually in Business Class, they can definitely do the same in Economy. I mean, even ear buds are now self-service!!

By the way I've always wondered how many people actually brush their teeth on flights...

If the hot towels disappear, they may as well close down operations. It's a symbol of hospitality that sets them apart and it's far too intrinsic to the SQ experience.
        LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
          By the way I've always wondered how many people actually brush their teeth on flights...
          Me! I actually can't sleep until I've brushed my teeth, because my brain says, "...but for the last 15,000 nights you've brushed your teeth, so do it or I'll stay awake waiting!"

Comment

I only use it on the ground when connecting after an SQ flight. It feels odd brushing my teeth in a space as cramped as the aircraft lavatory.

Comment

Also I wonder how many people will actually wear the socks supplied during the flight.
              I believe SQ can do the following to increase revenue:
              Charge passengers S$30 for seat selection if chosen Economy Super Saver (K, V classes)
              Open their lounges and charge economy passengers S$50 per visit to lounge
              Allow passengers to pre- book excess luggage for $
              Allow economy passengers to book the cook to reduce waste on food loading
              Cut amenity kits (It is not necessary)
              Provide comb and tooth brush only upon request
              Fly Europe direct rather than 1 stop, such as BCN and ARN. If HKG can afford both destinations direct, I don't see why SIN can't.
              Shift unprofitable Indian routes to UK - UK Crew should be cheaper than SQ/MI crew
              Replace some short haul routes with MI aircraft rather than SQ aircraft, further incorporate MI into SQ so to increase flexibility of aircraft usage.
              And if all fails, merge with CX to launch an IAG type of alliance.

Comment

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
                Also I wonder how many people will actually wear the socks supplied during the flight.
                I believe SQ can do the following to increase revenue:
                Charge passengers S$30 for seat selection if chosen Economy Super Saver (K, V classes)
                Open their lounges and charge economy passengers S$50 per visit to lounge
                Allow passengers to pre- book excess luggage for $
                Allow economy passengers to book the cook to reduce waste on food loading
                Cut amenity kits (It is not necessary)
                Provide comb and tooth brush only upon request
                Fly Europe direct rather than 1 stop, such as BCN and ARN. If HKG can afford both destinations direct, I don't see why SIN can't.
                Shift unprofitable Indian routes to UK - UK Crew should be cheaper than SQ/MI crew
                Replace some short haul routes with MI aircraft rather than SQ aircraft, further incorporate MI into SQ so to increase flexibility of aircraft usage.
                And if all fails, merge with CX to launch an IAG type of alliance.

You look like in weekend mood already.

Charge money here, there and everywhere......hello RyanAir!

Lounges etc. are already full, cutting amenity kits...sorry but that totally sorts out the wrong impression so unless it's tongue-in-cheek which I didn't see then half this kills what little SQ has left to compete with. SQ is good, has good service but is expensive when departing SG, that's pretty much it.

As yflyer said before, treat frequent fliers better and fill the plane.

Comment

SQ need to start listening to the passengers who were previously 100% loyal SQ flyers and now choose other airlines.

Over time, for me, the final straw (among many!) was when they changed their Frequent Flyer program with the rule that if there is Premium Economy on a flight, you can't upgrade from Economy to Business.

Why? I fly long haul, mostly from Australia to Europe, connecting in Singapore. If one aircraft has Premium Economy and the other doesn't, you simply can't do the upgrade (unless you do 2 separate upgrades which a) costs more and b) is a complete pain, especially if you need to change a date later). So, I had an airline from another alliance Status Match my FF level and off I went. SQ lost my loyalty after 20 years flying with them. I did kindly write to them, but got a generic response back. So, I left. This kind of attitude, over time, erodes the customer base, which in turn means I don't tell others to only fly SQ anymore, it's a knock on effect. Unfortunately, SQ generally only think of things after it's too late.

Comment

A different kind of cost-cutting, and a first world problem, but nonetheless still cost-cutting. Check out the latest Private Room menu and notice the two dishes that are glaringly missing.

No more fois gras burger, nor lobster noodles (wasn't great anyway but still..)

I struggled to decide what to eat, and went with scrambled eggs and sausages from the breakfast menu in the end.

Comment

I just flew SQ807/SQ806 a week ago with SQ. Both flight was served with dinner. In SQ807, the cabin crew didn't sent out any snacks until the passengers asked for. The bread rolls in these flights are available but they just sent the cold one to passengers.

Besides, my wife who flew SQ in PEK route (also in SQ807 and SQ806) in business class. The cabin crew didn't provide almost nuts, let alone the nuts which is heated.

Comment

Who knows SQ might start charging non-status pax to book their preferred seat in the premium cabins in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by heninkk View Post
                          I just flew SQ807/SQ806 a week ago with SQ. Both flight was served with dinner. In SQ807, the cabin crew didn't sent out any snacks until the passengers asked for. The bread rolls in these flights are available but they just sent the cold one to passengers.

Besides, my wife who flew SQ in PEK route (also in SQ807 and SQ806) in business class. The cabin crew didn't provide almost nuts, let alone the nuts which is heated.
                          If doing away the nuts could save jobs then i am all for it. From a palette perspective, nuts before a meal don't really wet our appetites.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
                            If doing away the nuts could save jobs then i am all for it. From a palette perspective, nuts before a meal don't really wet our appetites.
                            You mean "whet"?

Comment

Anyone knows why all the flight numbers of Silkair flights are replaced by the SQ codeshare flight numbers in Google?

If you go to google and search "Singapore to Chiang Mai", all the MI flight numbers are SQ codeshare flight numbers, eg. Singapore Airlines 5042.

https://www.google.com.sg/#q=singapore+to+chiang+mai

Comment

No more fois gras burger, nor lobster noodles (wasn't great anyway but still..)

I struggled to decide what to eat, and went with scrambled eggs and sausages from the breakfast menu in the end.
                                Two of my favourites! That's a huge negative for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X