Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ to Israel?

Hello,

I have heard rumors at SQ is planning to start services to Israel. I am assuming Tel Aviv would be the destination of choice.

At the moment it is a rumor but from a relative ok source.

I doubt this can happen in the present political environment. Flying to/from Singapore involves going over Malaysian or Indonesian territory at least part of the time. Both of those countries have no relations with Israel, and don't allow overflights of Israeli aircraft, and possibly also flights to/from Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
      I doubt this can happen in the present political environment. Flying to/from Singapore involves going over Malaysian or Indonesian territory at least part of the time. Both of those countries have no relations with Israel, and don't allow overflights of Israeli aircraft, and possibly also flights to/from Israel.
      Could SQ, perhaps, implement a novel fifth-freedom routing such as SIN-IST-TLV, to circumvent such restrictions? In such a situation, as far as the Malaysian or Indonesian authorities are concerned, the relevant (first) port-of-call would be Istanbul.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus SAS A340-500 View Post
        Could SQ, perhaps, implement a novel fifth-freedom routing such as SIN-IST-TLV, to circumvent such restrictions? In such a situation, as far as the Malaysian or Indonesian authorities are concerned, the relevant (first) port-of-call would be Istanbul.
        That makes plenty of sense.

Although I am wondering where the demand for this flight would come from. I'm assuming that there won't be much out of Singapore and/or the mainly Muslim ASEAN.

Instead, possibly connecting from Australia/NZ. There are about 100k Jews in Aussie, 7k in NZ. Then the entire flight will take two stops with one change of plane. Note though that there are existing one-stop options. KE does SYD-ICN-TLV. Or you could do CX to HKG or TG to BKK then LY to TLV.

Comment

Can't they just do a simple codeshare arrangement with TK rather than fly their own metal. Politically more palatable.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            Can't they just do a simple codeshare arrangement with TK rather than fly their own metal. Politically more palatable.
            But it's common knowledge that Singapore and Israel have quite cosy ties...

Wonder if one-stop via Colombo is feasible...

Comment

Singapore Airlines explores launching direct flights to Israel

Singapore Airlines, considered one of the world's top air carriers, is looking into launching direct flights to and from Israel. According to sources in the Israel Airports Authority, the airline has submitted a request for permission to land in Israel starting in the summer of 2017, but there is no guarantee that the flights will begin this summer.

Comment

do not think it is wise or politically prudent for SIA to consider launching services to Isreal so soon given the geopolitical situation and where Singapore lies in. And how much of a traffic can SIA really draw from this route? There's many other destinations to look at for expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                  do not think it is wise or politically prudent for SIA to consider launching services to Isreal so soon given the geopolitical situation and where Singapore lies in. And how much of a traffic can SIA really draw from this route? There's many other destinations to look at for expansion.
                  I think there is a market for 3x weekly. J for diplomats/scientists, and Y for tour groups. Flew TK via IST before, which felt quite long.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                    I don't think there is much political risk in SQ flying to TLV. After all, El Al flies to BKK, and it's not like its neighbor has made it an issue. There are lots of Israelis living and working in Singapore; one of my neighbors remarked how easy it has become for him to get the special visa he needs to travel to Malaysia for work. And apparently Indonesia gives the family visa on arrival in Bali (but only in Bali - not other ports of entry).

Whether TLV will be a profitable venture for SQ, I'm not sure. I bet they are not sure either, but believe it's worth trying out.

Comment

It would be really cool to have direct flights to TLV from SIN.
                      Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Originally posted by 259850 View Post
                        I don't think there is much political risk in SQ flying to TLV. After all, El Al flies to BKK, and it's not like its neighbor has made it an issue. There are lots of Israelis living and working in Singapore; one of my neighbors remarked how easy it has become for him to get the special visa he needs to travel to Malaysia for work. And apparently Indonesia gives the family visa on arrival in Bali (but only in Bali - not other ports of entry).

Whether TLV will be a profitable venture for SQ, I'm not sure. I bet they are not sure either, but believe it's worth trying out.
                        Flight LY86 TLV-BKK does not come close to Malaysia nor Indonesia. From TLV it flies SSE down the Red Sea and then turn due east at the Gulf of Aden, crossing India and Myanmar before landing in BKK - definitely not the great circle route, in order to bypass Saudi Arabia and other Middle-eastern countries.

The degree of sensitivity depends alot on the politics of the day. It may come from the government-of-the-day or the people on the ground. We've seen this during the Mahathir-era, from water issues to a crooked bridge. It'll boils down to quid pro quos.

Legally though, I'm not sure if a country can withdraw first freedom that's already granted or if the freedom comes under certain conditions.

Comment

It is indeed possible. If you look at this image, you can see that SIA can travel to Israel via Bangkok airspace and avoid travelling via Malaysia and Indonesia.

Comment

Originally posted by SMARTDODO View Post
                            It is indeed possible. If you look at this image, you can see that SIA can travel to Israel via Bangkok airspace and avoid travelling via Malaysia and Indonesia.

I guess it can work if runway direction is 20 (south-ward departures).

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                              Flight LY86 TLV-BKK does not come close to Malaysia nor Indonesia.
                              LY81/82 (TLV-BKK-TLV)

Comment

Working...
                              X