Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoot to move operations to Changi Airport's Terminal 1

Scoot to move operations to Changi Airport's Terminal 1

SINGAPORE: Low-cost carrier Scoot will move its operations from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 at Changi Airport next year, it said on Thursday (Nov 15).

The shift, which takes place in the last quarter of 2019, is being done to facilitate Scoot’s growth plans and improve customer experience, the airline said in a joint news release with Changi Airport Group (CAG).

“Scoot projects double-digit annual growth over the next three years. At the same time, from a recent post-flight customer feedback survey conducted by Scoot, one key touchpoint that the airline wants to enhance is the check-in and boarding process,” it said.

“To better support airlines for future growth, Changi Airport has been undertaking upgrading works to expand the passenger handling capacity of T1, with the project expected to be fully completed in 2019.”

Refurbishment work at T1’s departure hall recently concluded, with an expanded area for self-service automated machines for check-ins and bag drop-offs.

The baggage claim hall is also being upgraded to serve more arriving flights, the news release added.

CAG’s managing director for airport operations management, Mr Jayson Goh, said it periodically reviews the allocation of airlines across all terminals to provide sufficient terminal capacity for future traffic growth.

“CAG will work closely with Scoot to ensure that its relocation to T1 is seamless for all its passengers,” he said.

Scoot is the low-cost arm of Singapore Airlines and began flying in June 2012. In July 2017, it merged with Tigerair Singapore in a move that retained the Scoot brand.

“The move to T1 will be beneficial for several reasons, chief of which being that it will allow us to continue serving our growing customer base comfortably and meet their needs for a fast and fuss-free pre-flight experience,” said Mr Lee Lik Hsin, Scoot’s CEO.

The airline has a fleet of 18 Boeing 787 Dreamliners and 27 Airbus A320 aircraft.

SIA group airlines spread over 3 terminals. That would be fun. QR is also operating out of T1 now.

Comment

Great, this will make T2 arrival less crowded
      visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
        Great, this will make T2 arrival less crowded
        And T1 arrival more crowded, especially with Jetstar also having a sizable operation at T1. But T2 is definitely overcrowded now, and by Scoot (which I guess accounts for half the T2 flights) moving over to T1, we may see some T1 airlines with less frequencies shifting to T2?
        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
          And T1 arrival more crowded, especially with Jetstar also having a sizable operation at T1. But T2 is definitely overcrowded now, and by Scoot (which I guess accounts for half the T2 flights) moving over to T1, we may see some T1 airlines with less frequencies shifting to T2?
          Possibly due to this? - https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...nd-end-by-2024

Also with the move of Air Asia operations to T4, T1 has been more quiet of late.

Comment

The govt spend a few hundred million to build T4 originally for LCC. Scoot should have moved to T4 as currently T4 is still fairly under-utilized except by Air Asia group.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
              The govt spend a few hundred million to build T4 originally for LCC. Scoot should have moved to T4 as currently T4 is still fairly under-utilized except by Air Asia group.
              Given that Scoot is codeshare with SIA on some flights now, I think shifting to t4 would make passengers connection troublesome hence this?

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                Scoot operation would not have been possible at T4 to begin with since it operates a fleet of 18 widebody aircraft, while T4 only has 4 widebody gates. If one fourth of its fleet were departing at T4 in a period of 6 hours on average, it would have taken up 4.5 gates exceeding the 4 gates available. This would also leave other widebody operators like Cathay Pacific and Korean Air unable to get a gate.

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                Don't forget Firefly operation would also be moved from T2 to Seletar New PTB.

I agree that some T1 carriers should shift to T2. Perhaps it is a good idea to have the Star Alliance members operating at T1 (suggestions: Turkish Airlines, Air China, Shenzhen Airlines) to move to T2 to co-locate with other Star Alliance carriers.

Comment

Definitely, there will be some rearrangements between airlines of all four terminals. Terminal 2 will be undergoing a transformation, hence I will make logical sense for Scoot to move their entire operations to T1.

T2 works will be massive, and it will stretch thru the year 2024. This includes an additional track and platform for Skytrain services to Terminal 5, airside works to link future T5 with existing infrastructure systems in T1,2,3, and new creation of departure/arrival halls towards a futuristic Changi.

Comment

Looking at the departure data from Changi Airport websites, T1 is severely under utilised now compared to T2 and T3, especially during the morning peaks.

Period T1 departure T2 (TR) departure T3 departure T4 departure
                    00:00 - 01:59. 5. 6 (2) 18. 5
                    02:00 - 03:59. 4. 4 (2) 5. 3
                    04:00 - 05:59. 4. 5 (3) 0. 0
                    06:00 - 07:59. 10. 24 (11) 7. 2
                    08:00 - 09:59. 9. 33 (9) 19. 3
                    10:00 - 11:59. 7. 21 (11) 9. 12
                    12:00 - 13:59. 8. 28 (8) 14. 13
                    14:00 - 15:59. 11. 16 (8) 8. 6
                    16:00 - 17:59. 10. 17 (5) 11. 9
                    18:00 - 19:59. 10. 17 (5) 13. 6
                    20:00 - 21:59. 11. 18 (2) 13. 8
                    22:00 - 23:59. 10. 12 (6) 16. 6

So, decision to relocate Scoot to T1 to facilitate redistribution of loads amongst the terminals and also to facilitate upgrading of T2 is a sound one. There are plenty of space available in T1 given the expansion undertaken during the upgrading and reconfigurations of T1 to incorporate Jewel. Thus I am not too worried about T1 overcrowding as a result of Scoot move to T1.

T4 in the early morning peak also seem to be under capacity, inherent because of lack of local carrier in that terminal.

Comment

Out of curiosity, is this the average across the entire week, or just a particular day of the week?

Although I have said it and I will say it again - kick the Lion Air Group to T4.
                      an infrastructure geek

Comment

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
                        Out of curiosity, is this the average across the entire week, or just a particular day of the week?

Although I have said it and I will say it again - kick the Lion Air Group to T4.
                        This data point is only for a particular day (4 May 2019) but it should be quite representative enough.

Kicking the Lion Group to T4 in my opinion won’t actually improve much the terminal load balance as they will only duplicate AirAsia peak and through in T4, further escalating the peaks in T4. Furthermore Thai Lion now sends its A330 on one of the DMK-SIN-DMK rotation (https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...late-jan-2019/) so there might be shortage of wide body gates situation in T4.

Comment

Actually, do we know what the scope of the T2 upgrading will be - a reconfiguration of existing spaces, or will they even go as far as to rebuild sections of the apron, and perhaps the piers as well?

If they're doing the latter it could mean more airlines may need to move out of T2.
                          an infrastructure geek

Comment

I don't believe there will be any work in the Apron area. Most of the work will be in the arrivals and departure check-in

Comment

Source: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...oject-11390174

No mention of work in the apron area.

In the 5-year expansion project, T2 is to be upgraded to accommodate 5 million more passengers from the current 23 million.

- FAST initiative will be expanded with more automated check in kiosks, bag drop and immigration gates.
                              - Facial recognition from check in.
                              - Section by section upgrading.
                              - Reconfigure the whole layout of T2 check in hall.
                              - Change the layout of departure immigration. (most likely centralised immigration like T3 and T1, instead of 2 separate ones)
                              - Inside transit area, more exciting features including 20% larger retail space and better view of the airside.
                              - Lounges will also be reconfigured.

Comment

Working...
                              X