Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stockholm - Dining and sightseeing suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stockholm - Dining and sightseeing suggestions?

Hello everyone, I am visiting Stockholm for the first time next month. Anyone have dining or sightseeing suggestions? What are good places to stay?

Paging Kapitan.... Can't remember much about Swedish food but do avoid the Surströmming at all cost!!
    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

I just left Stockholm yesterday.

This time I stayed 4 nights, at the Rival Hotel, which is at Mariatoget. Have previously stayed at the Hilton Stockholm.

Food wise, all these have always been arranged by colleagues and normally we will have other than Swedish cuisine.

A good place to see an overview of Stockholm Old City is at Hilton top floor executive lounge..... beautiful....

Maybe a meet up is needed to give you some tips, I hate writing...
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
        I just left Stockholm yesterday.

This time I stayed 4 nights, at the Rival Hotel, which is at Mariatoget. Have previously stayed at the Hilton Stockholm.

Food wise, all these have always been arranged by colleagues and normally we will have other than Swedish cuisine.

A good place to see an overview of Stockholm Old City is at Hilton top floor executive lounge..... beautiful....

Maybe a meet up is needed to give you some tips, I hate writing...
        Thanks kapitan...yes maybe a briefing over lunch one of these days!

Any opinion on the Sheraton?

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
        Paging Kapitan.... Can't remember much about Swedish food but do avoid the Surströmming at all cost!!
        I actually like the raw herring you get in Amsterdam. Not sure about the Swedish marinated version, though!

Comment

The hotels that I stay in Stockholm is governed by the fact that they are within 15 minutes walk to the office.

The Sheraton I think is near Central Station, maybe easier commute with the subway and the Atlanta Express.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
            I actually like the raw herring you get in Amsterdam. Not sure about the Swedish marinated version, though!
            The marinated versions are about the same that you get around Europe, especially around the Nordic countries... Surströmming is in a different class of it's own! It's actually fermented herring and pretty horrid IMHO. Apart from that, Scandinavia is great for cold seafood.

One thing that I remember was Tunnbrödsrulle, a Swedish street food which is like a wrap (Tunnbröd means "thin bread") that is filled with sausage and mashed potatoes amongst other stuff... It's kind of a must-try in Sweden, best after a night of heavy drinking!
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

I switched to the Hilton. It's a great place -- thanks for the advice!

Surströmming is in a different class of it's own! It's actually fermented herring and pretty horrid IMHO. Apart from that, Scandinavia is great for cold seafood.
              OK thanks for letting me know! Not going to be on top of my list for things to try...

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                I switched to the Hilton. It's a great place -- thanks for the advice!

OK thanks for letting me know! Not going to be on top of my list for things to try...
                I was just reading the Hilton Slussen reviews on FT and apparently service been bad recently...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...en-swe-20.html

Comment

View of Old Town "Gamlan Stan" from the E Lounge of Hilton Slussen...

Day View...

Comment

I was just reading the Hilton Slussen reviews on FT and apparently service been bad recently...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...en-swe-20.html
                    Thanks for the FT link and pics, kapitan!

I just read the links...seems to be a lot of whining about topics like limited opportunities for Hilton Diamond room upgrades, late checkouts not being as late as requested, and other quirks in the property (small rooms, multiple elevators) that to me are part of the charm of the place.

The only lapse which was of note, was the guest checking into a room, to find that it was occupied, and that the man in the room had no clothes on. But the fact that he was naked isn't Hilton's fault, is it? But I do agree that checking a guest into an occupied room is as big a no-no as you can get and warrants major service recovery. The last time this happened to me was at the Hilton KL Sentral. But at least there all I saw was the occupant's clothing neatly laid out, and not the occupant himself! Service recovery at that point? I was upgraded to a huge 2-level suite. I was Hilton Diamond back then. Needless to say I was very pleased with how it all turned out.

I found the Hilton Stockholm to be superb. A unique and wonderful Hilton property, with a lot of character. The location is great, walking distance from the Old Town, and lots of shopping and eating options.

Small rooms? Yes, but so are the Hilton Sydney's rooms -- that is just the nature of the property, and so is the sprawling layout, because the hotel is low-rise and spread out along the waterfront in a series of buildings that blend into the surrounding area. The rooms are small but I found the rooms to be beautifully decorated and styled. I liked my room very much.

And as kapitan pointed out, great views from various places around the hotel, including the restaurants, and even better views just steps from the door.

No issues with service and staff on my end... the style of service is quite Swedish: no gushing and over the top fawning over guests, just direct, to the point and efficient -- and friendly too. I don't see why anyone should be unhappy, but maybe I'm low maintenance...

What I really like is that it is not a cookie-cutter high rise with box-style rooms that could be anywhere in the world. I got the sense that I was staying in a unique property that could only be in Stockholm.

So thanks, kapitan, for highlighting the Hilton, and triggering my switch to stay there.
                    Last edited by yflyer; 10 October 2016, 03:27 PM.

Comment

So you are in Stockholm already... Hej du..... ....

go around the corner from Hilton and you will find a bar with the largest selection of beers ....

Comment

So you are in Stockholm already... Hej du..... ....
                        Went and came back already!

go around the corner from Hilton and you will find a bar with the largest selection of beers ....
                        Aiyah...now then you tell me!

One thing that I remember was Tunnbrödsrulle, a Swedish street food which is like a wrap (Tunnbröd means "thin bread") that is filled with sausage and mashed potatoes amongst other stuff... It's kind of a must-try in Sweden, best after a night of heavy drinking!
                        Spotted a street stall selling tunnbrodsrulle on my last day there, and had a try...very good!

Comment

Working...
                        X