No announcement yet.

The Final SQ Boeing 747-400 flights - 06 April 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of London and SQ 747s, here's some cool footage of 9V-SMS taking part in Heathrow's 50th Anniversary Flypast display on June 2, 1996:

https://youtu.be/W7OEOeUKgus
    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...086a21df4a050e

Comment

• BA's last 744's departed LHR today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N05RHKcCICg

Comment

• Sad to see them go. My first ever long haul flight was BA033 (or maybe 034, cannot recall which way around it went) to CGK, via KUL, upper deck in Sep 1995. I make the rookie mistake of choosing a window seat: my neighbour was clearly an experienced traveller and as soon as we had taken off, he cranked his seat back, swaddled in a blanket and slept all the way to KUL. Getting over the guy to use the loo was challenging to say the least...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bytor View Post
            Sad to see them go.
            Yep, a magnificent aircraft. The FCL cabin on SQ's 744 remains my favourite cabin on any aircraft. I accept there are far more important issues in the world at the moment but sad all the same.

Here is a video of it landing at Kemble. You can see a sizeable chunk of the rest of the fleet already there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ber9O46eSD8
            Last edited by MAN Flyer; 11 October 2020, 05:07 AM.

Comment

• I know the A380 is a marvellous bit of engineering, but I think it's just an ugly beast, whereas the B744 is beautiful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                I know the A380 is a marvellous bit of engineering, but I think it's just an ugly beast, whereas the B744 is beautiful.
                "Was" beautiful. The A350 is a lot more attractive than the 744.

Comment

• Originally posted by Avenger777 View Post
                  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To many, including myself, the 747 is still the most graceful and gorgeous commercial aircraft ever designed. The proportions of the 747-400 are just right to me, with its distinctive conical nose, iconic upper deck elegantly merging backwards down into the rest of the fuselage, and the winglets "bookending" the end of the wing. I won't argue that the A350 is the most beautiful Airbus aircraft to date, but it has nothing on the magnificence of the Queen of the Skies, the 747-400.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To many, including myself, the 747 is still the most graceful and gorgeous commercial aircraft ever designed. The proportions of the 747-400 are just right to me, with its distinctive conical nose, iconic upper deck elegantly merging backwards down into the rest of the fuselage, and the winglets "bookending" the end of the wing. I won't argue that the A350 is the most beautiful Airbus aircraft to date, but it has nothing on the magnificence of the Queen of the Skies, the 747-400.
                    I couldn't agree more. There's something about the B747 that imprints muscle and majestic in your mind upon seeing it. It's similar to the American muscle cars being compared to European racebreds.

Aircraft exterior designing doesn't place aesthethics or form high in the design objectives, giving importance to aerodynamics, structural strength and weight savings. Every design feature, from the upper deck which leads to the big nose and large triple slotted flaps and swept back wing and slight wing twist had practical reasons. Yet they collectively ooze power every angle you view the B747.

Case in point is the current trend of official aircraft of various heads of state slowly being replaced by twins. Countries like India and Japan have replaced their B747s with B777s. Can you imagine if Air Force One was replaced with a B777 or B787 ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                      I appreciate your sentiments towards the 747. However, to me, the 747 just looks archaic.

Comment

I appreciate your sentiments towards the 747. However, to me, the 747 just looks archaic.
                        Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Comment

• Originally posted by boing View Post
                          It's similar to the American muscle cars being compared to European racebreds.
                          I would much rather have a German hatchback such as an Audi RS3 than a mustang.

Comment

I am all for people having their own opinions, and you are perfectly entitled to all that, but seriously ?!.

A350's fit seamlessly in with all the other soulless twin engine widebodies that have been invading airports over recent years and unfortunately look set to dominate in the future. I prefer 777's to 350's.

Comment

Each to their own mate, but I'll have whatever you've been drinking!

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                                A350's fit seamlessly in with all the other soulless twin engine widebodies that have been invading airports over recent years and unfortunately look set to dominate in the future. I prefer 777's to 350's.
                                I can't imagine LHR and MAN devoid of BA and VS 747s, and probably absent any other passenger 747s. A sad reality that the airports, and others around the world, will be filled with functional, cookie-cutter twins.

Comment

Working...
                                X