Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
    SIN-MAN remains popular
    Tell me about it. I am on tonight's SQ52 to MAN and got the last seat in JCL. The whole flight is sold out, again. Granted I wasn't even doing this trip this time last week but it's a struggle to get on the MAN flights at times, especially at weekend. The sooner we get a daily MAN-SIN vv flight the better, and there are some interesting rumours around at the moment..

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      and there are some interesting rumours around at the moment..
      Don't leave me hanging about my local airport!

Comment

• There certainly appears to be justification to increase capacity on the MAN-SIN sector. However, the IAH-MAN sector doesn't have the same justification so it's difficult to see that SQ would decide to increase the frequency of SQ51/52.

If that is correct, the difficulty is that a SIN-MAN terminator using the same timings would have to sit at MAN for 24 hours to make SIN-MAN and MAN-SIN daily (as distinct from 7x weekly).

As I see it the options are either to introduce a new transit route via MAN, or a 3/4x weekly terminator with different timings to the present SQ51/52.

Having said all that, I'd not be shocked to see SQ51/52 as a daily flight.

Comment

• After all of that, April 2018 was a relatively down month for MAN-SIN, with a 15% drop compared with the equivalent in 2017. This was partly offset by IAH-SIN traffic increasing by 28% (albeit IAH-SIN traffic represents a relatively small proportion of the overall passenger volume so load factor is down).

That being said, the average loads SIN-MAN was 218 (86.5% lf), which is quite positive for a "quiet" month but MAN-IAH was 186 (74% lf).

I think the relative drop in MAN O&D traffic is likely caused by the popular Easter holiday period being earlier in 2018 (i.e. march) than it was in 2017 (when it was in April).

Comment

• An interesting document produced by MAN and published in a dark corner of their website. A number of interesting points emerge, but the interesting wording is at page 33. It reads as follows:

The Singapore Airlines UK General Manager was met in London. We understand that the Singapore–Manchester–Houston service is performing above expectations. More specifically the Singapore sector is performing very well and as such, the Airline are eager to look at ways to increase the current five times a week service to daily.

I don't think this is a surprise, albeit the question remains how MAN-SIN can be made daily under the present arrangements assuming MAN-IAH does not warrant a daily service?

Link to document:

http://mag-umbraco-media-live.s3.ama...-20th-macc.pdf

Comment

• MAN-SIN is relatively simple, it's what to do with IAH that needs thinking abut. As I said, there are interesting 'rumours' about MAN at the moment....

I did an overnight return trip to Houston/IAH a couple of weeks ago and while the MAN-IAH leg was half full in JCL the following days IAH-MAN was full. MAN-IAH vv should be busy for a while in the upcoming months for summer as it was last year.

Comment

• Looks like SQ are considering making this a 6x weekly service...

Comment

• You can get Y seats between MAN > IAH for less than £300. Are they selling cheap to fill the seats?

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                    You can get Y seats between MAN > IAH for less than £300. Are they selling cheap to fill the seats?
                    When was that for ?. Surely not at the moment as it's pretty busy to IAH over the summer and there was a few heading to transit in MAN when I disembarked SQ52 yesterday.

It's normal for other times of the year though, PE is also regularly available for 600 GBP when its quiet.

Comment

• It was late Jan / Early Feb. The price was around £280 for basic Y.

Comment

• That makes sense, it's generally cheap around then.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                          You can get Y seats between MAN > IAH for less than £300. Are they selling cheap to fill the seats?
                          I have been meaning to give an update on the route but (new) family commitments have taken over my time.

As a broad brush observation, SQ appear to be increasing two sector (SIN-MAN-IAH) traffic. This has obviously reduced the available single sector (MAN-SIN or MAN-IAH) capacity.

On the MAN-SIN sector, loads look pretty much full and there is very little spare capacity.

On the MAN-IAH sector, there is still plenty of spare capacity.

I don't know if this is SQ testing the water to try and figure out how to increase capacity without creating a problem on the MAN-IAH sector, but for now they have withdrawn slots at MAN for 6x weekly.

In summary, the issues remain the same. MAN-SIN needs more capacity, but MAN-IAH doesn't at present. Whether the solution to that is another transit flight to the USA via MAN, a SIN-MAN terminator, or an increase of frequency of the current route remains up for debate. Of course, SQ may decide the current arrangement is fine as is.

Comment

• You may soon be able to connect to/from SQ flights to EasyJet flights at MAN...

http://m.atwonline.com/it-distributi...tions-platform

Initial thoughts:

1 - good for SQ's further development at MAN (particularly TATL)
                            2 - interesting brand association (EZY is pretty comparable to the likes of BA shorthaul nowadays).
                            3 - how far can it go and how deep and seamless can the service become?

Comment

• interesting that SIA is now joining hands with foreign LCC in interline connections.
                              Last edited by flyguy; 8 September 2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Quote from a publicly available report at the MAN end:

Singapore airlines have held a commercial review of their Singapore-Manchester-Houston transit service; it is performing well and significantly ahead of Moscow, where this transit option was previously located. Given such performance, the airline is looking at several scenarios which could deliver passenger growth. There are a range of options at this point and we will work with them to deliver the best outcome for both parties.

Nothing earth shattering here, which is in line with the comments above. Assuming the likes of BNE become "regionalised" (not a good decision for supporting growth of the PE product IMHO) I suspect there is a decent chance some of the released A359 capacity is assigned Towards MAN (whether as additional rotations to the existing flight, a terminator or another transit route remains to be seen).

Comment

Working...
                                X