X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fines if flight is late ... and early

Changi Airport to penalise airlines that don't watch the clock

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...22%257D&sfvc=1

What about those flights which are delayed by Changi as a result of using one runway instead of both during the morning peak timing as have often experienced. It would be best if the airport authorities release the information of the details ie of how many times were usually runway 02L/20R is closed during the hours of 9am to 12pm resulting in long delays.

Comment

I just find it ridiculous. I do not think there is any airline that really want to be late. There are many things that not in airlines control.

That's why the airlines now adays pad on the ground "delay". But Changi said those comes early also will be punished.

I guess soon we will find ourselves circling in the air more often when approaching Changi as they need to wait until their schedule time to land.
      visit my blog

Comment

I believe LHR has a similar policy. I read in an article a year or so back that QF were at risk of losing their landing slots and being fined for constant arrival delays. A tight schedule combined with delays at DXB were offered as the causes.

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
          I just find it ridiculous. I do not think there is any airline that really want to be late. There are many things that not in airlines control.

That's why the airlines now adays pad on the ground "delay". But Changi said those comes early also will be punished.

I guess soon we will find ourselves circling in the air more often when approaching Changi as they need to wait until their schedule time to land.
          Yes agreed that no airline would want to delay their planes as that would mean that there be consequential delays all the way down. Unless its a tech issue which no one can forsee.
          Seems quite a silly move by Changi to impose such fines, and again what happens then when its Changi that causes the delays?

Comment

I foresee issues with SQ's non-stop US flights. I've experienced in the past that on some days the tail winds are so strong that flights could land a whole hour early.

Originally posted by flyguy
            What about those flights which are delayed by Changi as a result of using one runway instead of both during the morning peak timing as have often experienced. It would be best if the airport authorities release the information of the details ie of how many times were usually runway 02L/20R is closed during the hours of 9am to 12pm resulting in long delays.
            Yes, throw in National Day and the multi-week rehearsals, Air Shows, etc.

Changi better be very flexible with this policy. But it'll force airlines to be much more careful with their scheduling especially LCCs. I wonder sometimes how Changi charges for the time a plane is at the jet bridge - actual or scheduled.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
              I foresee issues with SQ's non-stop US flights. I've experienced in the past that on some days the tail winds are so strong that flights could land a whole hour early.

Yes, throw in National Day and the multi-week rehearsals, Air Shows, etc.

Changi better be very flexible with this policy. But it'll force airlines to be much more careful with their scheduling especially LCCs. I wonder sometimes how Changi charges for the time a plane is at the jet bridge - actual or scheduled.
              It seems to me that the people managing Changi Airport are losing the plot with the decisions they have been making the past few years. With the underwhelming T4, decision to raise airport taxes and now this.
              Changi Airport is as good as the connections it offers through the many airlines flying here. Rub them the wrong way and they have KLIA and even BKK waiting for them with open arms. It is a long shot but I remember Qantas threatened to move its hub to KLIA about a decade ago.
              And as many people here mentioned, would Changi Airport compensate the airlines if the delay is attributed to airport ? It is a slippery slope.As carbonman mentioned, ULH flights can arrive up to an hour early due to prevailing winds. Does Changi Airport expect the airlines to burn extra fuel to arrive on time ? SQ has no choice but UA ?
              I hope MOT carefully thinks through this to prevent a reoccurence of what PSA experienced some time back.
              And here is a list of the charges
              http://www.changiairport.com/content...%20Charges.pdf
              Last edited by boing; 20 March 2018, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Yes, I think LHR can afford to be difficult to deal with because let's face it, every airline who wants a reputation, wants to fly to LHR. CDG is hardly going to ever rival them for hub status! It's also highly constrained and not seen as a hub connecting random places, but as a destination in itself or for connecting to a short regional flight. If SIN wants to compete with DXB, DOH and AUH, not to mention, KUL, HKG, BKK and any number of future SE Asian hubs, they have to be competitive, not elitist. I wonder if QF's return to SIN is inflating their ego just a little?

Comment

Working...
                X