No announcement yet.

New SIN-CBR-WLG Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellington City Council says Singapore Airlines should use newer aircraft, they had no problem with them 9 months ago.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/9391...et-one-of-them

Comment

• https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/970...ing-first-year

Canberra/Wellington - perhaps the launch destination for SIA's B787-10?

Well, it seems it is WLG's short runway that disallowed SQ to deploy newer planes there is it?

Comment

• I'd be very surprised if they launched that on the CBR - WEL flights.

Flights to Chritschurch maybe... some of the 772's on that route are really showing their age now, and with Cathay also launching seasonal direct flights a refresh may be required.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saltwater View Post
          I'd be very surprised if they launched that on the CBR - WEL flights.

Flights to Chritschurch maybe... some of the 772's on that route are really showing their age now, and with Cathay also launching seasonal direct flights a refresh may be required.
          Not sure if that will be an upgrade or downgrade in comfort. Entertainment will definitely be better. But if SQ is going 3-3-3 on the 787-10, then seat width is definitely going down.

Comment

• But after a year which had a "lot of learnings", the airline hoped to build support for the service further over the next year, admitting there was still some work to do.
            There is a lot of marketing language in that report and doesn't seem that the flight is commercially doing that well.

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
            Well, it seems it is WLG's short runway that disallowed SQ to deploy newer planes there is it?
            It seems rather that it prevents SQ to fly direct WLG-SIN.

Comment

• I used the flight last weekend CBR - WLG) and I tried to check the load factors. On the way over the business cabin was pretty full (about 80%) and economy seemed to well over 150 people (by way of a head count). On the return, economy was about the same but business was down to about 55-60%.

I think its important to note that the prices on the CBR WLG sector are quite low now so the yield will not be great. The route overall is probably doing ok but I do not think we are going to see a major investment in it just yet. Hopefully over time things will improve and we do get some new aircraft. I think its more likely that in the short term the long haul 200s will be deployed as the regional 200s are reduced.

The CBR - SIN sector seems to be doing better so it may be possible for that leg to get additional flights (maybe with a tag flight to Auckland). Alternatively the Silkair MAX could make the journey which would be a much smaller aircraft.

I had a chat with the crew on the flight and it turns out that there is a different team for each sector. This would certainly add to the cost so it may well be that the change in flight times is to reduce the number of crew needed. Maybe 1 set for each of the SIN legs and then just one for the return from CBR - WLG. I think the approx 5 hour lay over in WLG means the same crew cannot return with the aircraft.

Oh and the flight was fantastic. Excellent service as always. SQ really do it better than anyone else. Aircraft were SQK and SQM. Both had the new brown covers in business. SQK seems to have the updated Krisflyer (more content) while SQM still seems to be the old system (while it had newer content, there was less of it and the system needed to be restarted during the safely demo).

Comment

• Originally posted by vasqflyer View Post
                I used the flight last weekend CBR - WLG) and I tried to check the load factors. On the way over the business cabin was pretty full (about 80%) and economy seemed to well over 150 people (by way of a head count). On the return, economy was about the same but business was down to about 55-60%.

I think its important to note that the prices on the CBR WLG sector are quite low now so the yield will not be great. The route overall is probably doing ok but I do not think we are going to see a major investment in it just yet. Hopefully over time things will improve and we do get some new aircraft. I think its more likely that in the short term the long haul 200s will be deployed as the regional 200s are reduced.

The CBR - SIN sector seems to be doing better so it may be possible for that leg to get additional flights (maybe with a tag flight to Auckland). Alternatively the Silkair MAX could make the journey which would be a much smaller aircraft.

I had a chat with the crew on the flight and it turns out that there is a different team for each sector. This would certainly add to the cost so it may well be that the change in flight times is to reduce the number of crew needed. Maybe 1 set for each of the SIN legs and then just one for the return from CBR - WLG. I think the approx 5 hour lay over in WLG means the same crew cannot return with the aircraft.

Oh and the flight was fantastic. Excellent service as always. SQ really do it better than anyone else. Aircraft were SQK and SQM. Both had the new brown covers in business. SQK seems to have the updated Krisflyer (more content) while SQM still seems to be the old system (while it had newer content, there was less of it and the system needed to be restarted during the safely demo).
                Glad to hear a first-hand report! Your info on SQK & SQM matches with our SQ Fleet thread- SQK is listed as having 2006 Y & IFE, SQM does not. I've also read it mentioned before that the crew rotation is very complex. I think the number of days was up to 11 from start to finish. With flights only happening every 2 days mostly, that's a long layover in CBR, then WLG, then CBR again. Poor crew- while some destinations would be fantastic to spend two 48 hour layovers in the same week in, CBR really doesn't come to mind as fitting that category!

CBR-WLG wasn't ever started with the view to get rich quick. I think they will give it some time before deciding to axe it or not. The planes are fully owned by SQ and would otherwise be sitting in ASP or VCV and although they cost to maintain, they arent paying leasing or finance on them- they just hung on to some old 772s that would've otherwise been retired earlier. Canberra Airport lobbied SQ long and hard to get this service, so while yield may be low, there must be some kickbacks to sweeten the deal. The crewing definitely does present as one of the biggest negatives.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  ... Canberra Airport lobbied SQ long and hard to get this service, so while yield may be low, there must be some kickbacks to sweeten the deal. The crewing definitely does present as one of the biggest negatives.
                  Actually, I think not only CBR has lobbied hard for the service, WLG have also lobbied hard and dangled a carrot to SQ to start the service. Therefore, I think the incentives from both CBR and WLG must have been at least good enough to get SQ to start, and hold onto, the service. I for one sure hope the service would not only last, but gets upgraded (either from a frequency perspective and /or equipment perspective)...

Comment

• I wonder if the motivation behind rescheduling the service for the Northern Winter season has to do with not having to house cabin crew in WLG, and instead having them turn around in WLG to come back to CBR.

The new schedule to come in weeks is:

SQ291 SIN 23.55 - 10.40 CBR 11.55 - 17.10 WLG
                    SQ292 WLG 20.15 - 22.05 CBR 23.30 - 04.35 SIN

Roughly about 10h 10min there and back (plus 2 hours reporting, transport, etc.), the crew may not need to layover in WLG.

Comment

• Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
                      I wonder if the motivation behind rescheduling the service for the Northern Winter season has to do with not having to house cabin crew in WLG, and instead having them turn around in WLG to come back to CBR.

The new schedule to come in weeks is:

SQ291 SIN 23.55 - 10.40 CBR 11.55 - 17.10 WLG
                      SQ292 WLG 20.15 - 22.05 CBR 23.30 - 04.35 SIN

Roughly about 10h 10min there and back (plus 2 hours reporting, transport, etc.), the crew may not need to layover in WLG.
                      Very well could be. That would substantially reduce costs if it is. Feel even more sorry for the crew now- they will literally stay 3 or 4 nights in a row in CBR! I mean, we have some nice buildings and attractions in our capital, but once you've seen them, you've seen them. If you're a crew member who works a lot on the SQ/SR series 772s, you'd be seeing a lot more of the place than you'd want.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        Very well could be. That would substantially reduce costs if it is. Feel even more sorry for the crew now- they will literally stay 3 or 4 nights in a row in CBR! I mean, we have some nice buildings and attractions in our capital, but once you've seen them, you've seen them. If you're a crew member who works a lot on the SQ/SR series 772s, you'd be seeing a lot more of the place than you'd want.
                        During the current winter months, they can go skiing around there.

Comment

• SQ is having promo now. Return ticket @ $600 for K class.

Comment

• I was on SIN->WLG J on 28th Sept. Nice flight with nice service. SQ292 from Garage Project is fantastic choice onboard.
                            This is a route with a lot of J saver awards available. I got 5 J saver award seats. After my redemption was done, I still can find at least another 6 J saver seats available.

Comment

• ...and that's the end of the Capital Express service. 9V-SRO operated the final SQ291/292 flights (SIN-CBR-WLG-CBR-SIN) and is currently flying home CBR-SIN.
                              Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Working...
                              X