Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions re connection at LAX

Hi guys,

I need to get to Houston from Auckland in June 2010 and have few questions on connection (bags and transfer) process at LAX.

1. Do have to I pick up my bags at Terminal 2 when connecting to a flight in Terminal 6?

2. Is 2.15mins long enough to do the transfer?

The specific possible itinerary is below:

Tue 29-Jun-10
    Auckland (AKL)
    Depart 21:30
    Terminal I to Los Angeles (LAX)
    Arrive 14:30
    Terminal 2 10,482 km
    (6,513 mi)
    Duration: 12hr 0mn

Flight: 2
    Los Angeles (LAX)
    Depart 16:45
    Terminal 6 to Houston (IAH)
    Arrive 22:06
    Terminal C 2,214 km
    (1,376 mi)
    Duration: 3hr 21mn

Flight: 541

Total distance: 12,696 km (7,889 mi) Total duration: 15hr 21mn (17hr 36mn with connections)

Thanks

Is it the same ticket for both flights? If so, you don't need to collect your bag. You can walk or take the inter-bus. LAX is shapes like a U and terminals 2 and 6 are directly opposite each other (except for a massive parking structure in between and the jetsons style restaurant) but you can still easily walk across if you're not hauling luggage. That's plenty of time as you should already have your boarding pass for the AKL flight and can go straight to the security line.
    blog

Comment

You need to pick your bag up at T2 for customs. You can drop it off right after customs inspection in T2. You don't need to carry your bag to T6. Then, proceed to your flight in T6 where you need to re-clear security. 2:15 should be fine if AKL-LAX is on time.

Comment

Thanks guys.

It should be two tickets, but I hope to have both tickets in my hands when boarding the plane in Auckland.

Comment

2:15 is doable but tight. IIRC minimum connection time is 3:00.

On arrival at LAX T2 you go straight to immigration. Then pick up bag at baggage belt and go through customs.

Since Air NZ mostly no longer through checks on separate tickets to other airlines (varies depending on the agent) you may need to carry your bag to T6. IF your bag is through tagged then you can deposit it at the baggage deposit just past customs, but only do this if you are highly likely to make your originally booked flight for LAX to IAH.

T6 is across the "U" from T2. Either take the free bus, or walk around the end of the "U" (upper level is much nicer than lower level - turn right when landside and an escalator is right in front of you), or cut across the middle by turning left and then taking the pedestrian crossings by Encounters (the UFO-looking building in the middle).

At T6 you'll need to check in (Air NZ will not be able to check you in for the onward flight), deposit bags, and clear security.

If you can you may wish to change from NZ2 to NZ6 which leaves earlier and thus a far safer transfer.

Comment

Sorry I thought you were going the other direction hence told you not to pickup two bags! My apologies. Good to see kiwi chime in the the little nuances of that not-so-fun airport.
            blog

Comment

Since you have time to change, why not via SFO? Much easier airport to transit

Comment

Thanks for the advice Kiwi and 9V-JKL.

NZ6 idea sounds good. Did not come up on the day I was looking, but see it now on the weekly schedule.

Can you give me any details on how to do the connection at SFO 9V-JKL? Would be arriving on NZ and catching United or Continental to Houston?

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Shores View Post
                  Can you give me any details on how to do the connection at SFO 9V-JKL? Would be arriving on NZ and catching United or Continental to Houston?
                  Not NZ specific but since NZ arrives/departs from the Int'l terminal, it would be almost identical to NH:
                  http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/sg/e/asw_co.../sfo_e_hd.html

Comment

Thanks 9V-JKL, really helpful!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Shores View Post
                      Thanks for the advice Kiwi and 9V-JKL.

NZ6 idea sounds good. Did not come up on the day I was looking, but see it now on the weekly schedule.

SFO is much simpler. In my experience the queues at immigration (for non-US citizens) arriving off NZ8 are either non-existant or huge (bigger than at LAX T2) - depending on when all the other longhaul flights arrive that are similarly scheduled. IIRC once through customs CO is to the left and UA to the right? The interterminal transfers at SFO can all be done inside albeit with a bit of walking.

Comment

I have a question on flight connections at LAX as well. Hope someone can give me their advice.

My connection is as follows :

LAS-LAX US 2648 ARR 0837 (Saturday)
                        LAX-EWR CO 0016 DEP 1025

Is this connection time enough and can I get US to through check me to the CO flight including baggage even hough they are ticketed seperately?

Comment

Originally posted by SQDoubter View Post
                          I have a question on flight connections at LAX as well. Hope someone can give me their advice.

My connection is as follows :

LAS-LAX US 2648 ARR 0837 (Saturday)
                          LAX-EWR CO 0016 DEP 1025

Is this connection time enough and can I get US to through check me to the CO flight including baggage even hough they are ticketed seperately?
                          you should be able to interline your baggage all the way through seeing as how both airline is part of the star alliance just provide them your on carriage info, the thing i would be worry about is the connecting time to get from US (terminal 1) to CO (terminal 6).... my advice would be go to the arrival level and see if there is heavy traffic, if no traffic catch the 'A' bus under the BLUE sign (it will take you to terminal 6), if there is heavy traffic your best bet is to run to terminal 6

Comment

thanks for that. however it does sound ominous. can US check me in and issue my boarding pass for the CO flight is Las Vegas?

Comment

if you are worried about getting a CO boarding pass, you can easily check-in online with CO and print out your own boarding pass

Comment

Working...
                              X