Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Late Christmas/New Year Trip Report: SQ1/2 (77WN), MI's A320 and SQ's A333 (MAA-SIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overall Impressions of my Trip:

Let me tell you that I was very very impressed with everything about SQ. Honestly, my parents LOVED the Voyager 3D map, and so did I. I felt really happy to have gotten a plane with these. Information compared to the previous 2D map is still better and improved. My dad had a ton of fun playing around with it.

I used Uber in India, because there we have Indian phone numbers we can use on our existing iPhone, so it helped a lot in many situations. We just never called them for the airport or for long trips (We used taxis). My perception compared to previous trips has made me appreciate my culture and everything about the world compared to when I was young and used to take everything for granted.

As far as the 77WN seats, they are EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE. Every flight on the 77WN, I felt I never wanted to get out or go for a walk or anything. I did to stretch out, but this was the first time I felt this way. I think SQ did a fantastic job with getting a top notch product. I'm sure J, S, and F are pretty good, too, but I can still live with Y in any case. The A330 2006 product was really good, too.

On SWZ, I used the time based T-Mobile Wifi as well, and same scenario as here, no breakouts or anything like that. In fact, I recommend every 77W (The retrofitted SW* planes) should have this system, too. Unless OnAir has developed a system that is time based like this, that is also acceptable. I could upload IG photos, surf the web, you name it. Saved me a heck of a lot of time during the trip and at home to upload many photos on IG and FB. SFO is very lucky to receive 77WN of this type. It will only be a matter of time SQ2/1 could go 77WR as I lurked around and read SQ's plan was to even get the 77WN to a 77WR config. For Wifi fans, cherish the 77WN Wifi system while it lasts.

My parents' opinion: They loved everything like me. In fact, my mom was really happy taking SQ2 instead of SQ32. At HKG, she was happy to have a transit stop/break and she personally feels the 77W is much more comfortable than the A350. My parents did not use the Wifi but still a good utility to have. As always, you can't go wrong with Singapore Airlines' service. Still the best airline out there.

Here's a pic of SWZ I captured from SIN-HKG thru the fr24 app:

Last edited by SQfanatic; 21 March 2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Great trip report, SQfanatic!

Makes me miss Trivandrum an awful lot
      Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Thanks for the report, SQfanatic! Very nice pictures of India.

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
        As far as the 77WN seats, they are EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE.
        I am a fan of the SQ 77WN Y seats as well. Very comfortable for long haul.

I have also always enjoyed the Indian/AVML catering on SQ -- delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post

I actually recently flew my first flight in the new Y seats. They really are pretty comfortable and recline quite a lot more...of course this meant that the person in front of me had his fair share of the recline too

One major gripe that I noticed...the earphone ports are on the seat back now and no longer in the armrests. This means that whenever someone wants to get out you have to either unplug your earphones from the port or the earphones from yourself to let them out unlike in the past where you could just slip over them without much interruption to your seatmates' entertainment.

Cost cutting to place it closer to the screen together with the IFE setup perhaps? Badly thought out imho. If you're seated by the window, two people have to unplug themselves from their movies each time you enter/exit. But the rest of the product is pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post

Thanks yflyer for the kind words. So have I and my parents. My father is flying to/from DEL both ways on SQ31/32 on the 359 so he'll definitely enjoy it again. He'll be KrisFlyer Silver.

Comment

Originally posted by wdranne View Post
              I actually recently flew my first flight in the new Y seats. They really are pretty comfortable and recline quite a lot more...of course this meant that the person in front of me had his fair share of the recline too

One major gripe that I noticed...the earphone ports are on the seat back now and no longer in the armrests. This means that whenever someone wants to get out you have to either unplug your earphones from the port or the earphones from yourself to let them out unlike in the past where you could just slip over them without much interruption to your seatmates' entertainment.

Cost cutting to place it closer to the screen together with the IFE setup perhaps? Badly thought out imho. If you're seated by the window, two people have to unplug themselves from their movies each time you enter/exit. But the rest of the product is pretty good
              Exactly my thought. The earphone ports are a major issue. My father doesn't use the entertainment system much as he mostly sleeps during the flight and can play with the 3D maps. I felt pretty bad for the person in say...40C or 51C to do that when I had to walk or go to the restroom. The old design of having them in the armrest was much better.

The last gripe was the EmPower plugs at the bottom. The new seats are awesome but they could have maintained some of the existing engineered positions of the headset jack ans EmPower plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                Great trip report, SQfanatic!

Makes me miss Trivandrum an awful lot
                You're welcome 9V-SPL, glad I was able to provided a more detailed TR than my past TR's. Any more SQ trips I take, I will use templates provided by all you guys to improve what to add/remove only for future TR's

Comment

Hi,i have done numerous sq-kochi flight on MI and its nostalgic seeing tvm as well as sq where i stayed for a decade.Nice trip report!sq 77W is so much comfortable because of 9 across economy and 4 across biz class.A fantastic airline indeed compared to say Emirates which has 10 across in eco and 7 across in biz on the 77W!Btw a new international terminal has opened in kochi and it certainly is good.check it out on your next trip,cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by arjundreamcatcher View Post
                    Hi,i have done numerous sq-kochi flight on MI and its nostalgic seeing tvm as well as sq where i stayed for a decade.Nice trip report!sq 77W is so much comfortable because of 9 across economy and 4 across biz class.A fantastic airline indeed compared to say Emirates which has 10 across in eco and 7 across in biz on the 77W!Btw a new international terminal has opened in kochi and it certainly is good.check it out on your next trip,cheers!
                    If I visit Kochi and also fly back Internationally from Kochi, I will definitely check it out. Glad I was able to provide a lot more detail of this TR. Most definitely agree, SQ is the way to go and definitely much better than EK in my experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X