SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    If it returns to any form of revenue service, that would signal that they could have plans to return A330s to lessors quite extensively this financial year, otherwise I can't see why they would need this plane. It would also become the oldest plane in the fleet- an honour that SVB has held for a couple of years now, and probably will for quite a few more into the future.
    The SV series with Spacebeds have the exact same seat count in both classes as the A330, and I suppose that makes it very easy to put it as a substitute on an A330 route. Not a good thing though as it's a downgrade in hard product. But I can't imagine them refurbishing it at this point in time?? Unless it's really with the 77W hand-me-down interior.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
      The SV series with Spacebeds have the exact same seat count in both classes as the A330, and I suppose that makes it very easy to put it as a substitute on an A330 route. Not a good thing though as it's a downgrade in hard product. But I can't imagine them refurbishing it at this point in time?? Unless it's really with the 77W hand-me-down interior.
      Also more expensive to run.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyinghigher View Post
        No wonder... I was wondering why I saw a blank 777-300ER SQ Colours. My flight took off a few planes before this one. Is it going to be stored or scrapped?
        9V-SYG - she was flown to Victorville after her last job to serve CGK

she was flown directly from SIN

Comment

• Wow, didn't know the 773 can make it that far.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
            Wow, didn't know the 773 can make it that far.
            Must be an empty plane, and they shutdown some of aircond to save fuel. 14:04 hours, 14.152 kms.

Comment

• Yup.....empty plane, full fuel load, several electrical/bleed air-intensive (and therefore fuel-intensive) systems shut off/reduced in load, seems quite possible.

Comment

• Just saw SVA being pulled by a tug at SIN in an all white livery.
                The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• There are some interesting notes on planespotters about SVA and SVD. SVD has also been stored at ASP. Between 04NOV16 and 12JAN17 it also made a return to SIN before being flown back to ASP. The ex-Scoot 772s have either gone to leasing corporations or moved to Roswell, so they are a different category.

It could seem that SQ is keeping SVA and SVD in potential play. If this is the case, then we aren't likely to see any current liveried 772s depart for some time yet. This strategy must surely only be possible due to low fuel prices.

Comment

• I would think that they have to bring it back from time to time for maintenance at SIAEC to keep it in flying-shape even though its in storage at ASP? Perhaps.

Comment

• There is a SQ8877 scheduled to arrive from ASP tomorrow (04MAY17) at 1445 LT. Most likely 9V-SVD I assume.
                      Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• ok, this is an interesting episode to watch.

2 x old 772s mysteriously flown home from the desert,
                        3 x purple cabin 772s hanging around exclusively for BKK & MNL flights
                        2 x 772s + 2 x 773s refitted with the 77W hand-me-downs

are they really planning on extending the use of the 772s?? (i don't mind actually!)

looks like some error in terms of fleet planning from years ago. i don't think the A359 deliveries are behind schedule are they? so it's odd that there's a gap following the returning of the 333s to the lessors necessitating a life extension of the 772 fleet.

Comment

• If they do keep those 772 they really need to install the 2006 seats and IFE

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                            ok, this is an interesting episode to watch.

2 x old 772s mysteriously flown home from the desert,
                            3 x purple cabin 772s hanging around exclusively for BKK & MNL flights
                            2 x 772s + 2 x 773s refitted with the 77W hand-me-downs

are they really planning on extending the use of the 772s?? (i don't mind actually!)

looks like some error in terms of fleet planning from years ago. i don't think the A359 deliveries are behind schedule are they? so it's odd that there's a gap following the returning of the 333s to the lessors necessitating a life extension of the 772 fleet.

I'm finding it equally interesting. I'm happy to be corrected, but I remember something about the A350 program overall being delayed (much like the the A380 and B787 programs) and while they are now running to a schedule, that schedule is quite a bit later than might have been envisaged 5 years ago.

The one big event for me, which changed my thinking about what they were up to, was the fitting of 2006 products into SVB. Up until then I thought they might have selected a handful of the 772s that were slightly younger, to form a refurbed, temporary fleet for 4 years or so, while waiting for 787s and further 359s. In that scenario, SVI-SVN might have stuck around, but SVB-SVG were off to join their peers in the desert.

They own all remaining 772s from what everyone on this forum seems to know. Nobody is offering much cash for any 772 under 10 years' age, let alone 15, so there's no real logic to keeping the oldest and usually SQ remove the oldest planes first, like in the SQ, SR and SY series. If SVA and SVD return, they will be like SVF- nothing refurbed.

Two reasons I immediately think of for this:

Cost cutting in order to stay competitive means not renewing any further A330 leases. Constant pressure to lower ticket prices means they've made these decisions purely on financial grounds.

Unforeseen fleet expansion. While I think previous administrations worked to plan for fleet renewal, arguably not so well perhaps, I don't think any thought was given to expanding the fleet. Under the previous CEO, we saw very few new destinations and hardly even extra flights. The new strategists have made new destinations a key plank in their fight with the Middle Eastern airlines, but don't have the planes to do it unless they keep old ones.

Whether this means SVA and SVD return to flying remains to be seen though. It's a very old J product to be using.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                              Two reasons I immediately think of for this:
                              Could also mean some of the other aircraft are getting close to D checks, so they are going scrap those and replace them with these planes which still have a lot of hours left in them before they need D checks.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ217 View Post
                                Could also mean some of the other aircraft are getting close to D checks, so they are going scrap those and replace them with these planes which still have a lot of hours left in them before they need D checks.
                                Great point, I wouldn't have thought of that!

I guess it goes back to the costs- that must be where the rationale lies and they've come up with strategies like yours to squeeze every cent of value they can out of these old craft.

Comment

Working...
                                X