Another Award Chart Devaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sethor View Post
    We are still better off than we were 7+ years ago when SQ did not allow saver awards on the "New" Business & First class cabins.
    Indeed. If I'm not mistaken, Savers were only available on the 744. As wonderful as that F cabin was, it was getting rarer and rarer until it was completely retired.

Comment

What are my odds and any suggestions?

This whole devaluation caught me by surprise. I posted sometime in a December asking for suggestions / places to fly to redeem my miles. The year started really crazy at work and I never got around to it, then I got the email :/

So about 1.5 weeks ago I put in the following waitlist for 2 adults and my 4yo for business class. All 3 waitlist have the departure leg confirmed and the return leg is waitlist. I've tried looking for all sorts of dates where I have both legs confirmed but no luck. I have enough miles to clear either one of the trip, not all 3.

1) SIN-NRT-SIN - May 2017
      2) SIN-HND-SIN - Nov 2017
      2) SIN-NRT-SIN - Nov 2017

I've got email reminders on ticketing timeline and have spoken to a few customer service who helped to put in a request for the waitlist to be cleared.

I've also got a large chunk of miles expiring in May itself! Any better suggestions on clearing the waitlist?

Comment

3 saver awards on the very same flight and no status? Give me one good reason why SQ should give away so many seats on one flight for so little? I am surprised that you are cleared on all three flights on the way to Tokyo.

If I were you, I would lock in the one way to Tokyo and issue. You will always find a way back (or they might clear later).

I would look into award availability with ANA as well. You can use your miles before they expire but ANA will also not have 3 seats in one so you might have to split.

Comment

Once upon a time, not too long ago, I booked 5 J saver IST-SIN all at the same time. So SQ can be generous it seems.

If you have enough miles to burn without the 15% discount I'd wait. Otherwise I'd just confirm the way there as SMK77 suggested, but continue to waitlist. Worst case just fly scoot back. And I would do HND. So much more convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
            3 saver awards on the very same flight and no status? Give me one good reason why SQ should give away so many seats on one flight for so little? I am surprised that you are cleared on all three flights on the way to Tokyo.
            I'm having 4 J saver awards on the same SQ32 flight, not flown yet (so has to be recent). No status as well, I'd go with the fact that SQ is generous.

Comment

In quite a dilemma to redeem at current rates. Either

(A) SFO in F (no YQ if via HKG) or

(B) LHR in R where I play A380 roulette

Leaning towards the latter. Any views?

Comment

For the new award chart, anybody can enlighten me on what is the Carrier Surcharge all about? I notice that flights from CGK and BKK into SIN has that, on top of the airport tax. I've checked Jpn, Msia, TW and HK into SIN, they don't have this Carrier Surcharge fee

Comment

Carrier Surcharge fee is now included in redemption rates.

FYI - I had a waitlist come through 1am this morning, the new award rates apply.

Comment

Interestingly. I have 2 Europe wait-listed seats cleared, in the afternoon.

Comment

Still no revised upgrade award chart? The one on the website is still dated 4 July 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethor View Post
                        Carrier Surcharge fee is now included in redemption rates.

FYI - I had a waitlist come through 1am this morning, the new award rates apply.
                        How long did you waitlist before your clearance came through today? I kinda suspected they would only clear some after the devaluation is in effect.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post

If I were you, I would lock in the one way to Tokyo and issue. You will always find a way back (or they might clear later).

I would look into award availability with ANA as well. You can use your miles before they expire but ANA will also not have 3 seats in one so you might have to split.
                          Thanks SMK77. Like others, I've managed to redeem a number of business class (no status) in the past to other locations e.g. Perth, Seoul, Italy, this trip to Japan is my first.

I did try your method and spent about 20 mins on the phone with the customer service. They found the indirect route back via ANA for 3 tickets, she put me on hold to put in the details but came back after few mins to tell me before she could submit, the seats were closed. Happened to quite a few dates/flights that she managed to find for 3 of us but same thing happened. In the end I gave up as it wasn't very productive to do it over the phone - so maybe visiting the ION outlet may be better.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbles View Post
                            How long did you waitlist before your clearance came through today? I kinda suspected they would only clear some after the devaluation is in effect.
                            Maybe about a month ago.

Comment

Thanks @sethor.

I managed to redeem business class flights to Japan for the family using my miles. As my return leg was waitlisted and I didn't want to gamble on the wait and not able to do any pre-planning, I chose to fly back from Fukuoka instead. So now we get to visit 2 places in Japan! thanks to everyone in this forum for all the tips and suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                              X