No announcement yet.

30 years ago today... hazy memories from the trip that started it all for SQFG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice anecdote, SQFG! Come to think of it, I, too remember the particular date I flew on SQ for the very first time!

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      Oh climbing the spiral staircase (or any staircase for that matter) was a pipe dream for me in 1983. Was just happy to sit on a plane.

The first time the curtain was behind me instead of in front of me was in 1993...... that opup damaged me in more ways than i can imagine :O
      Very well said....
      And mine, the damages are beyond repaired....

Comment

Hmm..

My first registered memory of flight was SQ15/16 between SIN-TPE. Those flights were to return home to visit relatives.

Check in always involved a now unheard qestion, "Smoking or non-smoking cabin?"

Always insisted to my parents that I get the window seats. Regardless of the number of times I've seen it, I'm always fascinated to see the flaps being deployed and retracting during take offs and landings. (Till this day I'm still fascinated by it and thus now insist my girlfriend to let me have the window seats, or at least during take offs and landings.)

Too small in size to see projector screen from my window seats. I vaguely remember soba noodles in whY.

Being a kid has its privileges, SQ girls always come round to ask if I'm ok. kept receiving sweets (which my parents then insist i share with my cousins after returning home) and other memorabilia. Sadly, the only surviving piece was a 747-400 model. Wonder where did all my MasterMinds disappeared to.

Took the A300 once too. Remembered as I was asking my parents if 2 engines was sufficient to get us to TPE and I spilled my orange juice PDB on my dad.

There was this particular flight that was forever etched into my brain. The seat had IFE! Remembered playing the games non-stop and asking my parents if the pilots can take a little longer to land. Mum "confiscating" my controls during mealtimes (Don't finish your meal, no games!). Took a nearly 4hrs bus ride back to my hometown. Upon reaching home, almost all my relatives were there. Lotsa crying and huggings going on. Didn't comprehend back then what happened, but only a few years later did it dawn on me that we were on the ill-fated SQ flight.

Took BR when it first started the TPE-SIN route with a B767. Back then it felt horrible. No IFE, no projector screen. inflight movies were screened on 13" (I think) CRT monitors between the aisle. Too near and you get a "nose bleed seat", too far and you can't see anything. On the way back, the whole family was upgraded to business class. For a kid, there was just TOO MUCH space.

Somehow I also remembered taking BR's MD11 once on the SIN-TPE leg as I asked my parents the same thing if 3 engines was sufficient to get us to TPE and that it was such a weird design and I didn't want to fly in that. If only back then I knew what I was in for. Now I can't even find a three-holer to fly in regionally.
        Last edited by RCTP; 12 March 2014, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
          Now I can't even find a three-holer to fly in regionally.
          Sure you can. There's this forlorn looking former D7 A340-300 sitting at a remote stand in KUL missing the number 4 engine. I'm sure they could whip up a flight for you if you asked nicely

Comment

Sure you can. There's this forlorn looking former D7 A340-300 sitting at a remote stand in KUL missing the number 4 engine. I'm sure they could whip up a flight for you if you asked nicely
            Think they're quite busy there at the moment and won't be entertained.

Will try asking nicely when there is a proper closure.

Comment

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
              Think they're quite busy there at the moment and won't be entertained.

Will try asking nicely when there is a proper closure.

Actually the airport's a mess. It's really full of (sorry for the Malaysian/Singaporean term) "kaypohs". aka busybody with no real purpose. They're not next of kin or anything - those people have been moved to hotels, so I really have no idea what these hangers-on are doing there.

Comment

Wonder if those kaypohs were there to watch the bomoh in action.

Anyway, just remembered something else too! When I was young, I once "stumbled" onto the upper deck of the 747. One of the pilots happened to come out from the cockpit and seeing me hold the 747 model in my hands, asked if I wanna take a look inside the cockpit.

I freaked out. I wanted to go, but wary of what my parents told me about talking to strangers. (Somehow I was worried that I might be kidnapped)

Said no and wanted to return to my seat and one of the SQ girls came along told me it is really cool to see the cockpit. I insisted on going back to my seats. The pilot laughed and told the SQ girl to help me return to my seat.

Wanna go back in time and whack some sense into my younger self.

Comment

2) my first ever SQ ride was on a 727. I think it had 3 rows or something of F and we sat in the 2nd row after the bulkhead in Y. Got served a cheese sandwich with a coffee nut as a garnish/ornament on top. Wow free food! I recall seeing a huge amusement park on the right hand side, with a really long waterslide too just as we approached Paya Lebar.
                  Hi I believe that park was called big splash. (This is to help give you some closure)

Comment

Originally posted by tinderium View Post
                    Hi I believe that park was called big splash. (This is to help give you some closure)
                    Yes ! that's it (vaguely) - that means we must have approached QPG from the south because I was sitting on the right hand side...

My first SQ ride and it was a 727 no less. Turns out it was my only 727 ride as I don't really think there's much chance for me to get another one now.

And you lot are getting excited about A350's ?

Comment

Since this thread's been resurrected, I'll add my first flight experiences. My first flight was with Air New Zealand from WLG to AKL when I was about 3 months old. This was followed by my first SQ flight, from AKL to SIN, and then SIN to HKG (Kai Tak). My family still has copies of the itineraries for these flights; I'm guessing the SQ flights were probably operated by 747-200s or -300s.

The earliest flight I actually remember taking was with CX in an L1011 Tristar. It originated in SIN but I remember it most for the landing into Kai Tak.

Comment

And you lot are getting excited about A350's ?
                        I'm very excited about the A350s as they are such a vast improvement over the 777s in terms of cabin comfort. I flew on QR's A350 a few weeks back and it's incredible how much quieter the A359 is compared to the 77W. The whole cabin felt more airy with high ceilings and the absence of center overhead bins, although I suspect that comes down on how airlines will configure their A350s.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                          I'm very excited about the A350s as they are such a vast improvement over the 777s in terms of cabin comfort. I flew on QR's A350 a few weeks back and it's incredible how much quieter the A359 is compared to the 77W. The whole cabin felt more airy with high ceilings and the absence of center overhead bins, although I suspect that comes down on how airlines will configure their A350s.
                          Not doubting you - I too have ridden the 359, along with the 748i, 787-8 and 9 and just about all and sundry that is new. They're great improvements in passenger comfort and safety as you say.

But if you put me on the tarmac now..... with two planes in front of me, and one was a 727, the other a new glitzy shiny latest model *insert a/c here* - i know which one I'd take a ride in.

Comment

Definitely R class on Air Asia

Comment

Working...
                            X