Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QF & EK tie up; drops SIN-FRA, SIN-LHR

In summary,

QF will work together with EK from April 2013 (Subject to the ACCC approval).

10 year agreement.

Frankfurt will be dropped. MEL-SIN-LHR and SYD-SIN-LHR will be now via DXB instead.

Changes to fleeting strategy in Asia. SIN and HKG will see better flight timings to suit Asia connections. Increase in flights.

Codeshares with LH, AF, CX will be terminated (Europe side). Only AY remains.

Trans-Tasman code shares possible.

QF agreement with BA will be terminated.

Agreement with BA

No equity investment in the other.

Members of their frequent flyer programme will see equal status on the other.

Nothing about QLD, WA and SA to Europe.

EK has ruled out joining OneWorld.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...ubai/#comments

How do you think Changi and SQ would react? Any SQ-talkers affected? Do you think this is good or bad?

Feel free to discuss.
    Last edited by zilchster; 6 September 2012, 09:39 AM. Reason: Add a line

I see SIN-LHR/MEL/SYD fares going up.......

Comment

Singapore is still going to be served with multiple Qantas flights per day
      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Great for QF- it'll strengthen their links to the middle east and Europe with EK's vast network.

Good for SQ- less competition on the kangaroo route

Not so good for Changi and SIN-based pax- fewer flights from QF will mean less business for Changi. This would also mean fewer options for SIN-based pax particularly to LHR and SYD/MEL so prices might go up

Comment

Wonder how this'll pan out.

SIN is a stopping off point for the Thai, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia tourist market.

(For 8 months of the year,) DXB is a stopping off point for getting your skin melted off.

Hope BA steps up their game in some way.

Comment

Kinda sad for Changi I think.

Meanwhile, this QF and EK partnership seems to have been well thought off for sometimes I guess. They have even come up with a dedicated website now complete with a video: www.qantasandemirates.com

Comment

Knowing EK's brutal strategy, dont be surprised if they step up the frequency from SIN to MEL and BNE to perhaps twice daily (or perhaps even start SIN-SYD(vv)).

Comment

This is a big blow for SIN. Unfortunately, the decision is likely to have a domino effect on the operations of other European carriers here, AF and BA being the obvious examples.

It would be great to see the losers in this deal come to an agreement with SQ for onward flights to Australia and New Zealand, but we all know the chances of that happening are very slim, especially considering how uncooperative and stubborn SQ can be with their own Star Alliance partners. Surely working with carriers from other alliances is out of the question.

I hope the folks at Changi have a back up plan, or this is going to be a big step backwards in their quest of remaining a global aviation hub.

Comment

Interesting to see how this would turn out. It's too early to say anything.

I don't think the tie up will mean much less competition on the Europe-Australia flights for SQ. Generally two competitors became friends overnight, well, to be honest, QF has always been at a disadvantaged as compared to EK. With this tie up, more staunch QF supporters that will not fly with EK may fly EK. But coming together might see fares Australia to Europe go up. Loser would be the travelling public.

SIN-based pax would probably be screwed on direct options to London that's all. BA still flies SIN-LHR either one daily or two daily. There are still other ways to LHR and FRA. Star would be the biggest winner here. Will SQ 380 return to FRA?

Singapore will still be served by multiple QF flights a day, but in what way? EK flies SIN-MEL, SIN-BNE, QF can easily codeshare on those services. Or would it be through Jetstar? Anything is possible.

AF and BA are gutted kind of. Will BA even keep its SIN-SYD flight?

If I were SQ, I would talk to AF. It is after all just a simple codeshare that's all. Would be good for them. Will AF cooperate with CZ/VN or GA then to Australia?

I don't think this would be a big blow to SIN unless as what this article http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...oneworld-81650 analyses or suggests that HK will replace SIN as a key city.

That said, I believe Jetstar would still stay in SIN for the SEA/India ops I guess. But it won't be that big of a player I guess.

I wonder what this will mean for members of both the airlines' FFP. Their membership would be massive, can the lounges accommodate? Something's gotta give.

And what will MH role in Oneworld be right now? It's probably of no use to QF. There are rumours that QR might join Oneworld. How will this affect them?

The next few months would be interesting.

Maybe SQ should have a fourth daily MEL or fifth daily SYD flight?

Comment

Originally posted by diecastdrool View Post
                    Knowing EK's brutal strategy, dont be surprised if they step up the frequency from SIN to MEL and BNE to perhaps twice daily (or perhaps even start SIN-SYD(vv)).
                    Hopefully SIN PER too!!

Comment

I fail to see the logic of posts suggesting that EK would ramp UP SIN-Australia frequencies in direct competition with their new partner...

Comment

My guess is that QF will probably codeshare and let EK fly the existing routes from SIN to Oz. Logic is: QF runs out of ideas to keep their int'l operations profitable.

Meanwhile, QF will concentrate on their low cost subs Jetstar out of SIN. Just my 2 cents

Comment

I think Qantas will still serve PER, MEL, BNE and SYD direct to SIN. I'd suggest once daily to MEL and BNE and maybe twice to each PER and SYD... equipment to be used is unknown but I think mix of 747 and A330
                          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                            I think Qantas will still serve PER, MEL, BNE and SYD direct to SIN. I'd suggest once daily to MEL and BNE and maybe twice to each PER and SYD... equipment to be used is unknown but I think mix of 747 and A330
                            I guess that you would be right.

I think they will keep their existing one daily MEL, BNE service.

I think they will keep at least one daily to PER.

As for SYD, I can't tell. There will be at least one daily. But I won't be surprised if a second daily is operated by Jetstar Asia or Jetstar. Why would QF fly the route when Jetstar could do it cheaper?

Comment

Interesting move...and so many different ways of looking at this...

QF throwing in the towel internationally and pretty much divorcing itself from OW. Waving bye bye to BA, deals with MH not working out, and a frosty relationship with CX. They still need OW for the Americas, but that's about it.

Not sure it's a big loss to SIN overall, as QF are looking to beef up flights to SIN significantly if the reports are to be believed...just no more onward connections to Europe.

More to add, but no time right now...
                              /Desert Traveller

Comment

Working...
                              X