Pilots leaving or remaining in SIA??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilots leaving or remaining in SIA??

I wonder why the people leave SIA for green pastures.. I may not know what happens to them.. I am unaware of the new things cropping up like that.

I love SIA. The number of paper tickets is getting lesser. E-ticketing is on...

You have answered your own question: People leave the airline for greener pastures elsewhere. SIA is not known to be the most generous paymaster around. However, I do understand that it compares well to other Asia-based airlines.

In any case, welcome to SQTalk, Michelle1212!
    My Cafe Adventures
    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
      You have answered your own question: People leave the airline for greener pastures elsewhere. SIA is not known to be the most generous paymaster around. However, I do understand that it compares well to other Asia-based airlines.

In any case, welcome to SQTalk, Michelle1212!
      Thank you, The High Flyer. There is still competition among several airlines..
      They are trying to stay ahead. However, SIA must not be so mean. Not until the airline remains strong.. Challenges still ahead..

Up to them to make decisions. As for me, I am not sure whether I want to be on SIA plane or not.. Up to me..

Comment

Just a thought: Is the pay related to the fact that SIA is able to recruit quite a substantial number of pilots locally? Especially from the Singapore Air Force? Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know, CX pilots are amongst the best paid in the world? Anything to do with them having to recruit from overseas? My observation is that most of their pilots are Caucasians (not meant to be a race issue), in fact, I cant remember when was the last time an Asian was at the helm of my CX flights!
        -z.h.i.w.e.n-

Comment

Originally posted by zhiw3n View Post
          Just a thought: Is the pay related to the fact that SIA is able to recruit quite a substantial number of pilots locally? Especially from the Singapore Air Force? Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know, CX pilots are amongst the best paid in the world? Anything to do with them having to recruit from overseas? My observation is that most of their pilots are Caucasians (not meant to be a race issue), in fact, I cant remember when was the last time an Asian was at the helm of my CX flights!
          You're right. Very seldom does an Asian made it into Captain in CX.
          We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

I might be wrong but my recollection is that the RSAF has restrictions on when its airedales could leave the service to join the airlines including SQ. This is to avoid an attrition of air farce pilots due to competing wages from the civilian carriers.

Comment

Just a thought: Is the pay related to the fact that SIA is able to recruit quite a substantial number of pilots locally?
              Not sure about that but it may also be down to the fact that - it seems - the Singapore government played hardball with the SQ pilots.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...ic/3676881.stm

Nothing like that in Hong Kong.

Comment

Some details of SQ and CX pilots' salaries here:

http://www.askcaptainlim.com/aspilotsalary.htm

Comment

A belated warm welcome Michelle1212 !

Hope you enjoy yourself here!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies and jhm, that was a very informative website!

I'm really surprised to find a rather large difference in the pay of a Captain at CX and SQ. The highest for a Capt at SQ is $16,500 per month while a Snr Capt at CX earns up to approx SGD30,229. Thats almost like, DOUBLE?! I've always thought both are pretty close in terms of their remuneration. Operating costs for CX would have been so much higher than SQ just in this aspect alone.

I still remember quite a few years back when the CX pilots went on a strike for some rostering issues? Well, humans are just never satisfied, are they? In Singapore, MM Lee clearly sent a message, "Don't ever dare think about it"
                    -z.h.i.w.e.n-

Comment

Working...
                    X