Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Top 10 mostly randomly-ranked reasons (so far) for why LHR isn't such hell ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Top 10 mostly randomly-ranked reasons (so far) for why LHR isn't such hell ...

... or so I try to convince myself to keep from being driven mad by the accumulation of inconveniences (BAA security queues ; non-working travellators; holding for a landing slot; parking at a remote stand; the depressing carpeting; etc. etc. etc., to borrow a phrase from "The King and I").

What makes LHR not such a bad place:
    • Zone R (though I haven't used it in ages, due to clients being located at the other end of T4 short-haul flights]
    • The bacon baguette breakfasts in the First Lounge (soon to be a much-missed perk because someone has been banking his OneWorld miles with TraitorAir )
    • Being served by BA crew in Club Europe (I think the best of the European short-haul business class products [MAN-ZRH and MXP-BCN excluded from this category, of course ])
    • Hearing the captain announce you've finally been cleared for landing ("Cabin crew, 10 minutes to landing") just sounds so sweet after the too-usual interminable holding pattern
    • The view of central London (night or day) as the aircraft makes its approach to land
    • The instant camaraderie with fellow travellers that develops when the BA captain, still in that preternaturally calm and reassuring voice, announces that you will be riding a bus to the terminal building
    • Feeling the relief of not having to go through FCC as I make my way to immigration control
    • IRIS when it works and the people ahead of you know how to use it and there's a slow-moving EU line as the alternative
    • Knowing I can trust the cab drivers to take me home as safely and quickly as possible (not quite the feeling I got with a few New York cabbies )

And my top reason ...
    • Witnessing scenes such as the one this evening, when someone got p*ssy with the cab dispatcher outside the terminal because he "needed to get to Cape Town" and the cab dispatcher's adamant "Sir, this is LONDON; all the cabs can only get you to LONDON" just wasn't good enough

Still makes me smile ...

<sigh> My colleagues who haven't been to Singapore thinks I've concocted an airport called Changi as an escape from my routine travel reality.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

I was thinking the other day that we haven't a jjpb3 list for a while!

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    Being served by BA crew in Club Europe (I think the best of the European short-haul business class products [MAN-ZRH and MXP-BCN excluded from this category, of course ])
    Besides CE, I've only tried SK intra-Europe J so I can't really comment. However, I see that AJ J (short and long-haul) have been getting high praise from BA regulars:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=603898
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594563

I will be trying them next month.

Other reasons which spring to mind:
    • National pride - whilst SIN is good, it only handles half the number of pax as LHR - world's busiest international airport, world's 3rd busiest etc.
    • Arriving back at LHR after a long trip means arriving back home.
    • The number of direct connections from LHR to all around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      I was thinking the other day that we haven't a jjpb3 list for a while!
      Someone like me needs lists to make sense of my topsy-turvy world.

However, I see that AJ J (short and long-haul) have been getting high praise from BA regulars ...
      I assume you meant AY, right? Haven't taken them yet, so I formed my judgment perhaps prematurely. Was that a Freudian slip with AJ? (Paging the AJ who might get high praise from BA regulars ...)

Comment

Whoops, yes, I must have AJ on my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3
          Was that a Freudian slip with AJ?
          Whoops, yes, I must have AJ on my mind.
          Hmmmm, well now this is very interesting. I always knew how jjpb3 always thought of me as rather special , but jhm too....!!!??!

jhm, next week, the hills are alive with the sound of music....

Comment

Oh, and yes I love LHR and I do get praise from certain BA regulars!

Comment

Other reasons which spring to mind:
              • National pride - whilst SIN is good, it only handles half the number of pax as LHR - world's busiest international airport, world's 3rd busiest etc.
              • Arriving back at LHR after a long trip means arriving back home.
              • The number of direct connections from LHR to all around the world.
              About national pride: I need more solid reasons than just sheer volume. Lots to love about the UK, LHR can do a good job taking away from that lovin' feeling.

About getting home: I agree (thus my post about the relief about not needing to go through the FCC). But home shouldn't have to take so long to get to, especially when you're supposed to have priority luggage handling on the home carrier.

About direct connections: direct connections = generally good. Direct connections on non-SQ airlines vs. indirect connections on SQ = I'm sometimes (only sometimes ) torn about the tradeoff.

But really, don't mind me too much. I'm just feeling ornery from a stressful work week (not an excuse, just an explanation).

Comment

Originally posted by AJLondon View Post
                jhm, next week, the hills are alive with the sound of music....
                Indeed! And the lyrics continue further down - ... my heart wants to beat like the wings of the birds.

Comment

Indeed! And the lyrics continue further down - ... my heart wants to beat like the wings of the birds.
                  And after hearing you say that,

My heart wants to sigh like a chime that flies
                  And
                  To sing through the night

Comment

Oh good Lord. If you two are be witnessed doing the Capt. von Trapp-and-Maria dance or "Wicked Childhood" duet at T1 or T4, you'd definitely be one of the scenes included in my top reason for not considering LHR so hellish.

Comment

It would go down a lot better (or not ) to try it at SIN rather than LHR!

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        Oh good Lord. If you two are be witnessed doing the Capt. von Trapp-and-Maria dance or "Wicked Childhood" duet at T1 or T4, you'd definitely be one of the scenes included in my top reason for not considering LHR so hellish.
                        Awww, don't worry, we promise to stuff you with schnitzel with noodles! And I'm quite sure you'll prefer that to Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

Comment

Awww, don't worry, we promise to stuff you with schnitzel with noodles! And I'm quite sure you'll prefer that to Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
                          That is a problem is as difficult to solve as Maria, I'd have to say..........

Comment

Hmmmm, ... I always knew how jjpb3 always thought of me as rather special , but jhm too....!!!??!
                            The true color has been revealed. Too bad to find this indirectly. I am not special enough for AJ.

Comment

Sorry folks, it's a hell-hole. End of. The place should be subject to a concerted day of B52 bombing runs.

While I don't doubt for a minute that for you Smog Dwellers who start and finish your journeys there it may be OK, for us Northern Monkeys who have the fabulous FCC transit experience it's dreadful. In fairness outbound tends not to be too bad, inbound is a nightmare nine times out of ten.

Use of the fabulous VS Clubhouse for us down there is the only good thing I can think of.

Comment

Working...
                              X