No announcement yet.

Coronavirus : Flight cancellations and contingencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems that the A359 is taking off from WTB packed full of vegetables, salad and milk powder/baby formula. The whole town is talking about these flights.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
      Wow, WTB. That's one very tiny airport for SQ to be serving!

I think the usual traffic there is largely limited to Embraers, so quite a significant development. I'm struggling to think of what they could be transporting- trucking cargo up from BNE to WTB is quite an effort and the local region is largely mining/agriculture. I'll ask family in the town if they've heard anything about it.
      Seem like CX is also having a cargo flight there as well

Comment

Wow, WTB. That's one very tiny airport for SQ to be serving!

I think the usual traffic there is largely limited to Embraers, so quite a significant development. I'm struggling to think of what they could be transporting- trucking cargo up from BNE to WTB is quite an effort and the local region is largely mining/agriculture. I'll ask family in the town if they've heard anything about it.
        Might be one-way cargo to SIN. New food supply source for Singapore? Singapore has been diversifying our sources of food as the coronavirus has impacted the usual lanes.
        https://finance.yahoo.com/news/singa...210000741.html

Comment

• WTB is an interesting airport. It opened in 2014 and was funded and built by the local Wagner family who are involved in the construction business. It can and does handle 747 on a regular basis with CX operating weekly cargo flights. CX has also used 777 for cargo. Passenger services are provided by Air North – to Townsville and Melbourne, Quantas Link to Sydney and REX to BNE and inland towns.

The city of Toowoomba is one of Australias largest inland cities and the surrounding region is growing fast. Meat and agriculture are the main products currently but plans are well advanced to construct a 40 hectare medicinal cannabis farm close to the airport that will be the largest such facility globally.

Australia’s inland rail project from Melbourne to Brisbane will pass through the region.

SIA’s weekly cargo flights are supported by the Australian Federal government and it will be interesting to see if they continue beyond the 6 week trial period. I couldn’t imagine SIA ever using the airport for a passenger service unless it was diverted from BNE.

I have flown from WTB to MEL and to CNS (before the route was discontinued) with Air North ERJ170.

Comment

• 9V-SMF 1000th Airbus aircraft did the honour for the flight in and out of WTB. You can catch some news report and photo here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...25112107556926

Comment

• Originally posted by jul247 View Post
              9V-SMF 1000th Airbus aircraft did the honour for the flight in and out of WTB. You can catch some news report and photo here: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...25112107556926
              The aircraft in the video was 9V-SHF not 9V-SMF, clearly evident from the missing 10000th Airbus aircraft sticker.

Comment

• According to local sources, a lot of fresh vegetables are on their way to SIN along with pork products. The area at the bottom of the cliff that Toowoomba sits on is known as “Australia’s salad bowl” so Singaporeans could soon be eating Australian lettuce
                Last edited by SQ228; 21 June 2020, 03:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Not You View Post
                  The aircraft in the video was 9V-SHF not 9V-SMF, clearly evident from the missing 10000th Airbus aircraft sticker.
                  Thanks for the correction. Was watching another video, typed to fast. Indeed it is 9V-SHF. https://www.facebook.com/tsbenterpri...4944497573687/

Comment

• Lettuce, broccoli and pork headed to SIN from WTB. It’s bizarre to think that in the future when we can fly again, I may find myself sitting in a plane that was once filled with salad.

Comment

Lettuce, broccoli and pork headed to SIN from WTB. It’s bizarre to think that in the future when we can fly again, I may find myself sitting in a plane that was once filled with salad.
                      So far there's no pictures or word if SIA actually fill the passenger cabin with cargo. I wonder if they actually do.

Saw from Samchui that FAA actually don't allow this in FAA/US airspace.

Comment

• Originally posted by ponders View Post
                        So far there's no pictures or word if SIA actually fill the passenger cabin with cargo. I wonder if they actually do.

Saw from Samchui that FAA actually don't allow this in FAA/US airspace.
                        They do filled up cabin with cargo. But only for certain planes only.
                        And the cargoes are those Non-food items such as PPE items

Comment

• As most of you might have been aware, I was supposed to travel to Chennai (and a few different places in Southern India) on Singapore Airlines in July. My parents were SUPPOSED to travel this coming Tuesday night (Wed early morning 1:15AM on SQ1) and I was supposed to travel a week later on. We were all supposed to return back on July 30th on SQ2.

I know COVID has wreaked havoc in our daily lives and we are working remotely, but it's unfortunate to say that all of our flights have been canceled since SQ is not flying to SFO.

If this helps, I've filed for a full refund on the SQ website since I booked directly from SQ's website itself (As well as my parents) a few days ago.

On a rough estimate, how long do you think it will take for a refund to come? I understand things are slow due to COVID-19, but I'd like to hear from your experiences.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                            On a rough estimate, how long do you think it will take for a refund to come? I understand things are slow due to COVID-19, but I'd like to hear from your experiences.
                            For my experience, they processed my refund 1 day after submitting the form on the SQ website (22 May) and I got back the refund in my CC statement 3 weeks later. On paper, they say the refund may take up to 4-6 weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                              My refund took 10 weeks.

Comment

• SQ passenger load factor is around 12% in June. Cargo load factor is 82.5%

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...tats-jun20.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X