Rumour: SQ to return on YVR non-stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
    Huh, I was expecting SIN-HKG-YVR on TR, to give Cathay and AC a run for their money...

why SQ want to do this? Does SQ ever have right between HKG-YVR?

I think SIN-YVR nonstop should be more make sense
    visit my blog

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
      If the pax numbers are justifiable, SIA will start a service to YVR whether its 4 or 7 times a week.
      No they won't. You need more than passenger demand to commence revenue flights.

Comment

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
        why SQ want to do this? Does SQ ever have right between HKG-YVR?

I think SIN-YVR nonstop should be more make sense
        Well, I meant that more in the spirit of the date.

I believe the current bilaterals restrict the amount of 5th freedom flights, and given that CX and AC both run high-capacity 10 abreast 777s, it will be quite interesting to see TR run an operation out of there.

For what it's worth, I seem to recall reading that there's plenty of VFR traffic between HK and Canada that may not mind an LCC. Maybe Mainland China as well, but given ATC there I'm not sure if stopping over in China on the way makes sense.
        an infrastructure geek

Comment

Or perhaps, SQ can run SIN-HKG-YVR, on HX Metal later this year!

If this piece of news is true: (Only available in Premium Chinese)

https://news.mingpao.com/pns/%E7%B6%...B3%A3%E7%9B%A4

Comment

If the pax numbers are justifiable, SIA will start a service to YVR whether its 4 or 7 times a week. However am sure SIA todate finds it not feasible, but find Seattle a more viable city to fly to.
            Again, it's not that the don't find it feasible, it's because the authorities will not give them they access they would like to operate the service. If they do they will.

Unfortunately, as other airlines have discovered, AC are very good at lobbying against other airlines getting access to Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
              Again, it's not that the don't find it feasible, it's because the authorities will not give them they access they would like to operate the service. If they do they will.

Unfortunately, as other airlines have discovered, AC are very good at lobbying against other airlines getting access to Canada.
              The authorities you refer to are... South Korea? Other potential fifth freedom points? As someone stated, SQ and AC are both free to fly from Singapore nonstop to any point in Canada with no restrictions on frequency or capacity. Is SQ's feasibility of flying to YVR contingent on their access to intermediate markets? It seems to me SQ cannot feasibly operate the service with just O&D and 6th freedom traffic. AC, however, is studying the feasibility of YVR-SIN working with the same restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
                The authorities you refer to are... South Korea? Other potential fifth freedom points? As someone stated, SQ and AC are both free to fly from Singapore nonstop to any point in Canada with no restrictions on frequency or capacity. Is SQ's feasibility of flying to YVR contingent on their access to intermediate markets? It seems to me SQ cannot feasibly operate the service with just O&D and 6th freedom traffic. AC, however, is studying the feasibility of YVR-SIN working with the same restrictions.
                MAN Flyer's information is correct. It comes from a very reliable source. I heard the same source say this with my own ears. "Someone" stating SQ is free to fly to Canada with no restrictions is incorrect information. Period.

The decision makers at SQ know what they can and can't do without relying on hearsay and speculation on online forums and indeed, if there is a change to current regulatory environment I'm sure they will be aware of it as they would be the ones who would need to negotiate it.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  MAN Flyer's information is correct. It comes from a very reliable source. I heard the same source say this with my own ears. "Someone" stating SQ is free to fly to Canada with no restrictions is incorrect information. Period.

The decision makers at SQ know what they can and can't do without relying on hearsay and speculation on online forums and indeed, if there is a change to current regulatory environment I'm sure they will be aware of it as they would be the ones who would need to negotiate it.
                  https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...s-deal-219729/

The 2007 flight services agreement between Singapore and Canada as published by flight global. It mentions specifically that "Under the new arrangements, airlines can operate unlimited passenger and all-cargo flights between the two countries via select intermediate points." Note that this agreement for passenger flights is for direct service only and not 5th freedom flights.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...14Jan2009-1900

The above is the suspension of service to YVR notice dated 14 Jan 2009, of which it says "...the economic conditions and performance on the route has been badly affected by the global economic downturn." This route, like the HKG-LAS route did not survive the great recession of 2008, gives a clear implication on the market demand of this route.

I would like to use Jumbojet Lover's very useful link again. https://blueswandaily.com/video-of-t...k-white-spots/
                  'Looking wider, the airport does not have a direct link to Canada. “With new aircraft types coming along I think there are more options for a direct flight,” he acknowledges.' Changi Airport is citing aircraft capability as a criteria for direct air link with Canada.

Putting it all together, I think it is quite clear that demand for direct air link from YVR to SIN may not be adequate at this point to launch direct flights. SQ may make it work, with better 5th freedom rights than what Seoul was giving, or more extensive code share with Canadian airlines to boost connection and demand. After all, they did say that the A359 is 'a game changer'.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent1000 View Post
                    This route, like the HKG-LAS route did not survive the great recession of 2008, gives a clear implication on the market demand of this route.
                    Actually, SIN-HKG-LAS did not even see the pre-2008 boom years of 2006 and 2007. It ended way before the recession began, in 2003 during the SARS outbreak, along with SIN-AMS-ORD.
                    https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-...-Vegas-service

Comment

This rumour never dies for some reason....

https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...?f=3&t=1459355

SQ Launching SIN-YVR A359 4x weekly service, October 29th, 2021

Comment

looking at its yesterday date, it seems more of a april fools joke.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                          This rumour never dies for some reason....

https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...?f=3&t=1459355

SQ Launching SIN-YVR A359 4x weekly service, October 29th, 2021
                          Maybe SQ will really launch Direct flight to Canada if Canada Covid cases remain low

It is currently under CAT II of the classification of safetravel lane.
                          And one criteria of the VTL is direct flight.

So there should be chance. Unless SIN govt could allow transit flight via Korea ?

Comment

some how this rumour never go away. There's just simply not enough pax to sustain a non-stop SIN to YVR flight, not for some many years to come.

Comment

some how this rumour never go away. There's just simply not enough pax to sustain a non-stop SIN to YVR flight, not for some many years to come.
                              The reality is that Singapore-Canada is a very small market, especially for corporate travel. It might be likelier for Scoot to open up a one-stop flight via TPE/ICN. However, one can always dream of the return of SQ to YVR, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                                The reality is that Singapore-Canada is a very small market, especially for corporate travel. It might be likelier for Scoot to open up a one-stop flight via TPE/ICN. However, one can always dream of the return of SQ to YVR, right?
                                Small but when it was in operation, I always had difficulty finding a seat on the flight. SQ17/18 if i remember correctly. Big Top and Celestar... those were the days.

Comment

Working...
                                X