Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JAL Global Club as OW FFP -- anyone who can read Japanese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    It's a long-haul crew... they fly NRT-SIN-KUL-KIX and vice versa.
    Interesting. Nice to see they offer an F cabin via JL710/JL719. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I'm sure Diamonds get plenty of op-ups (have read a few on TOF), but I have no intention of gunning for that, nor do I have intention to redeem much on JL. This is purely a OW status gaining exercise from the perspective I've decided to look at..
    It's not that. It was that on the long hauls, F availability on redemption is usually open for Diamonds. Worst case, you waitlist and always clear.

I'm sure there are other "unwritten" benefits which are similar to NH's.

With regard to the "Which FFP for me?" master thread - I'll leave that up to the various ones in power to decide. For me, I was just asking on a very specific translation that had irked me for many months and primarily focused on a technicality of JL's Mileage Bank (Fly-On) and JGC soft-landings. I did think the TOF JL section is seriously lacking any serious information, probably because other FFPs are more suitable to other OW members outside of Japan.

I'm happy to defer to the various admins/mods.
    Point being that from a translation question, we've moved more into the JGC option as a pseudo lifetime (albeit confusing) FFP.
    HUGE AL

Comment

Uh-oh, then we better not leak that to the Internets otherwise my favourite flight will get inundated and no more flirting with the dark side...

Actually, JL722 / 721 are not operated with an F cabin onboard. Only 2-class config. No new fancy seats here...

Comment

Actually, JL722 / 721 are not operated with an F cabin onboard. Only 2-class config. No new fancy seats here...
        Yeah, I don't pay attention to those.
        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
          The JGC thing IS very confusing. In my research one of our expert members informed me: "With the JGC thing...you get to maintain Ruby status with paying an annual fee of roughly 11000yen per year for a credit card...As long as you pay the yearly fee you get to maintain Ruby status without flying for a lifetime."
          I also read on the JL site that it is possible to simply requalify for JGC by paying a membership every year which is not too high. This, with the above 'soft-landing' requalification bit, is sufficient to not just get the JGC benefits, but also OW Sapphire (with business lounge access minimum on OW, priority etc).
          HUGE AL - 11000 Yen is a very reasonable price for a JGC membership, to me. OW Ruby is unfortunately not what I'm aiming for with JL as the benefits would be similar to KF's ES.
          Do note that, as far as I'm aware, the JPY11,000 membership fee refers to their JGC Credit Card. You can't just pay JPY11,000 each year to renew Sapphire without any flying, if you do not have the JGC credit card.

The problem is that it is, to my best knowledge, very difficult to qualify for this credit card in Japan unless you actually live there (and even then, apparently not very straight-forward if you're not Japanese).

NH also have the same deal, the "Super Flyers Card" which has less benefits than NH Plat (mid-tier) but you do not need to fly to renew it. You get full Star Gold benefits for life, as long as you pay the renewal fee each year. Again, the problem is qualifying for the CC in the first place.

Comment

The other problem is that the fee is not guaranteed. When you think about it not much different to paid lounge memberships - eg buying an Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership every year.

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
              Do note that, as far as I'm aware, the JPY11,000 membership fee refers to their JGC Credit Card. You can't just pay JPY11,000 each year to renew Sapphire without any flying, if you do not have the JGC credit card.

The problem is that it is, to my best knowledge, very difficult to qualify for this credit card in Japan unless you actually live there (and even then, apparently not very straight-forward if you're not Japanese).

NH also have the same deal, the "Super Flyers Card" which has less benefits than NH Plat (mid-tier) but you do not need to fly to renew it. You get full Star Gold benefits for life, as long as you pay the renewal fee each year. Again, the problem is qualifying for the CC in the first place.
              Ahhhh...thank you, stargold, for bringing this up. In checking my notes you are indeed correct about the credit card. Which further proves my point that this program is very confusing.

Upon researching further, here are the Emerald JGC (JGC Premier) qualifications and (somewhat) details:

http://www.ar.jal.com/world/en/jalmi...n/premier.html
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                The other problem is that the fee is not guaranteed. When you think about it not much different to paid lounge memberships - eg buying an Admirals Club or Qantas Club membership every year.
                Personally, I think the two are actually very different:

1. Given that JPY11,000 is not even USD150, the JGC fee has a long way to go until it starts to resemble lounge membership fees. In fact, I don't think the credit card fees would ever approach the lounge membership fees.

2. You can't just join the credit card schemes if you want to - you have to firstly achieve the necessary elite membership, then also qualify for the credit card.

3. An ANA Super Flyers Card or JAL JGC Credit Card is much more than a lounge membership since it offers other priority benefits as well as lounge access, across all the alliance carriers. Often, things like priority check-in can be just as important as lounge access to make the journey smoother.

Comment

Okay, I just had a good read through the thing and I think I've got it figured.

So, the "20,000 points" concession is only available if you are able to apply for the JGC credit card. Without the credit card, you have to apply every year as normal.

Key to understanding the system is that JMB = without credit cards, and JGC = with credit cards.

So, JGC Crystal, for example, is someone who qualified for Crystal and holds the credit card, whereas JMB Crystal is someone who qualified for Crystal without holding the credit card.
                  Last edited by stargold; 15 July 2009, 06:23 AM.

Comment

stargold, according to JAL's website, I'm seeing a different story:

"JAL Global Club (JGC) membership [OW Ruby] is available to JMB members who have achieved 50,000 FLY ON Points or have taken at least 50 flights of 15,000 FLY ON Points on JAL Group airlines flights during one calendar year (January-December)."

"As a JGC member you can renew your membership with the payment of the renewal fee of 5,000 miles from your JMB account around the beginning of March."

The annual fee can be waived if you have a credit card OR, "JGC members who earn 25,000 FLY ON Points or fly 10 eligible flights with JAL/JALways international flights during the calendar year."

Regarding the JGC Premier (OW Emerald):

"JAL Global Club members who have accrued at least 80,000 FLY ON Points or boarded more than 80 flights of a minimum 25,000 FLY ON Points on JAL Group Airlines and/or oneworld member airlines in a calendar year will be enrolled in JGC PREMIER Service."

Renewal of the JGC Premier is the same as above qualification.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
                      Personally, I think the two are actually very different:

1. Given that JPY11,000 is not even USD150, the JGC fee has a long way to go until it starts to resemble lounge membership fees. In fact, I don't think the credit card fees would ever approach the lounge membership fees.

2. You can't just join the credit card schemes if you want to - you have to firstly achieve the necessary elite membership, then also qualify for the credit card.

3. An ANA Super Flyers Card or JAL JGC Credit Card is much more than a lounge membership since it offers other priority benefits as well as lounge access, across all the alliance carriers. Often, things like priority check-in can be just as important as lounge access to make the journey smoother.
                      Extremely well put!
                      HUGE AL

Comment

"JAL Global Club (JGC) membership [OW Ruby] is available to JMB members who have achieved 50,000 FLY ON Points or have taken at least 50 flights of 15,000 FLY ON Points on JAL Group airlines flights during one calendar year (January-December)."

"As a JGC member you can renew your membership with the payment of the renewal fee of 5,000 miles from your JMB account around the beginning of March."

The annual fee can be waived if you have a credit card OR, "JGC members who earn 25,000 FLY ON Points or fly 10 eligible flights with JAL/JALways international flights during the calendar year."
                        This was the backup plan

And then, fly 10 JL flights every calendar year + pay 5000 miles renewal fee.

It is actuallypossible to fly 50 JL flights for USD2,316.

But to save the BIS miles, one or two longhauls also would be considered

Comment

And then, fly 10 JL flights every calendar year + pay 5000 miles renewal fee.
                          Dude, it's either or: You either fly the 10 segments OR pay the 5k miles. You don't have to do both. The 10 segments waives the fee.
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Even better!

Still gotta figure out how to get another 20 weekends in KUL..

Pity it's not from March '09-March '10..

I'm still not sure if it's worth it, though... especially if I can get lounge access in KLIA somehow...

Comment

Even better!

Still gotta figure out how to get another 20 weekends in KUL..

Pity it's not from March '09-March '10..

I'm still not sure if it's worth it, though... especially if I can get lounge access in KLIA somehow...
                              I don't feel like doing the math, but shouldn't the 400 bonus FLY ON points per segment help you qualify that way (25k) instead of the segments?
                              HUGE AL

Comment

I don't feel like doing the math, but shouldn't the 400 bonus FLY ON points per segment help you qualify that way (25k) instead of the segments?
                                That's to waive the annual fee...

---
                                ---

The 10 flights will already qualify for the annual fee waiver.

Comment

Working...
                                X