Yes, it has finally happened... [A380 -> 773 equipment swap]]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, it has finally happened... [A380 -> 773 equipment swap]]

It had to happen sometime, and tonight is it, apparently.

Due to the technical delay from LHR, the 9V-SKA could not make it back to SIN in time for the evening departures on 26th May. So, the NRT flight got subbed with a bog-standard 773.

I'm not sure whether R passengers will receive compensation (R vs. F booking class, plus how many times have we seen "A class beyond First" mentioned? ) - they might receive the fare difference perhaps. But with a substitution like that, I doubt they're paying for R in a hurry anytime soon!

As for Business and Economy passengers, I would imagine that they would receive nothing more than an apology in compensation. Oh, maybe a "goodwill gesture" of some duty free vouchers. It's bad enough for the downgrade in Y, but in C - going from fully flat bed to C seats with <50" pitch, all I can say is that they probably drove away quite a lot of customers tonight!

I hope no-one on SQT was unfortunate enough to be scheduled to fly on this flight!

PS. I just realised that I might have missed any previous instances of this happening, perhaps on the SYD route - has it?
    Last edited by stargold; 27 May 2009, 12:40 AM.

Does this mean that a reconfigured 773A now actually exists and is in service??

Comment

Oops, sorry, I misused the abbreviation. Sorry for getting you excited without good reason!

I meant the bog-standard 773... I don't know why I put "A" at the end - I think I was just trying to differentiate between the 77W and 773 and had a brief moment of silliness.

Request to Mods: Could you please change the title to remove the "A" from the 773A? Thank you

Comment

deleted

Comment

Sorry for the confusion - As above, I made a boo-boo with the acronyms. I should have just said 773.

So, it's the normal regional recliner seats for both F and J.

Comment

I know a 747 has been used instead of 380... but haven't heard of a 773 been used instead... must be some indication of the loads too, if everyone booked on the 380 can fit on a 773!

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
              I'm not sure whether R passengers will receive compensation (R vs. F booking class, plus how many times have we seen "A class beyond First" mentioned? ) - they might receive the fare difference perhaps. But with a substitution like that, I doubt they're paying for R in a hurry anytime soon!
              Another real possibility is that there weren't ANY paying pax in R?

SQ's J/C/Z class fares have been cut significantly to stay competitive, such that in the example of SIN-Europe fares, R is now approx. 3 times the price of J!!!

Wealthy or not, I see fewer and fewer people willing to pay that difference in this economic climate. I imagine that Suites must be cannibalising revenue as former F-paying pax downgrade to J rather that upgrade to R.

And now seeing QF unable to economically sustain "basic" F on some major routes, it'll be interesting to see how much longer the whole "Class Beyond First" charade will last.

Oh goody, I predict more humble pie thru at least thru the summer and autumn!!!

Comment

Pretty bad - especially because it was an overnight flight. SQ is still charging a premium in J over 747 services. Everyone is entitled to a refund (R and J). I would think that they will "top-up" with some miles/vouchers. Nasty surprise if you have to go and don't get your sleep... Even an upgrade to Regional F would not have made me happy...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                  Oh goody, I predict more humble pie thru at least thru the summer and autumn!!!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

SQ doesn't have enough 744s at the moment to cover for the 388. SPG has been inop in SYD since 22MAY. SPA was put back into svc to cover for SPG.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                      SQ doesn't have enough 744s at the moment to cover for the 388. SPG has been inop in SYD since 22MAY. SPA was put back into svc to cover for SPG.
                      That explains why the real active # of 744s is nine, while the frame count always comes up ten. SPA isn't supposed to be out there, and is; and SPG is supposed to be out there, and isn't.

What happened to poor ol' SPG? More than a typical tech fault, it would appear........

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                        Just drove past Kingsford Smith and saw a very forlorn (and grubby) looking SPG in the a**e end of the airport, all by itself.

Does not look like any work is being done on it.
                        Almost looks like it's been led out to pasture.
                        Last edited by SQJunkie; 27 May 2009, 02:24 PM.
                        F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Deleted

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                            Pretty bad - especially because it was an overnight flight. SQ is still charging a premium in J over 747 services.
                            I don't know about ex-SIN fares, but for my corporate fares (ex-CGK), all restrictions with regards to aircraft type was removed at the beginning of April.
                            Now it does not cost more to fly the newer products.

Comment

Originally posted by mec View Post
                              Deleted
                              I'm most curious to know what you had originally wrote. Something juicy I presume

Comment

Working...
                              X