No announcement yet.

SYD SKL : now open following refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitting in F side now (but flying NZ). Second the TPR comments. Actually the service is better IMO: staff more engaging, very attentive. Also my first flight on NZ's 789 coming up (in Y).

Comment

Had another enjoyable visit to this place yesterday. They had put 'Reserved' on the tables in the window which we were guided to on arrival. I thought they may be for FCL pax bit I heard the lovely Manager Ms P check that pax who were guided to another window table were TPP.

Comment

This place now opens at 04:00 (staff have to be there at 03:30) due to SQ striking an agreement for PR to use it and they have one of the first international departures from SYD apparently.

Rather amusing to see SQ open up what is supposed to be one of their flagship overseas lounges that recently had an expensive refurb to PR pax (and open it up earlier than before) while pax who could be spending a huge amount with them annually, but 'only' in Y, get booted into a sub standard lounge at their own hub.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          Rather amusing to see SQ open up what is supposed to be one of their flagship overseas lounges that recently had an expensive refurb to PR pax (and open it up earlier than before) while pax who could be spending a huge amount with them annually, but 'only' in Y, get booted into a sub standard lounge at their own hub.
          But that is typical SQ logic! LOL
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            While KF Gold is nice in that it gets you Star Gold privileges with Star Alliance carriers, I've always felt that SQ have missed out on a big opportunity to increase loyalty (and revenue) by targeting frequent travellers in Y.

I think SQ have done reasonably well to maintain loyalty of F and J pax. It is essential for a premium airline like SQ to pamper guests in F and J, and they need to maintain or even increase the exclusivity and benefits of PPS membership to retain (regain?) the loyalty of this segment.

But they have long neglected the frequent travellers in Y sandwiched between the top end and the budget conscious, giving them 2nd class frequent flyer benefits, for example, the mediocre KF Gold lounge in Changi, and the fact that if you travel Y, even if you do 150-200K miles a year (Which I do on a fairly regular basis), you will not hit PPS.

For that reason, in recent years, as soon as I hit 50K miles and qualify for KF Gold, I essentially stop flying SQ and move across to Oneworld, who treat their economy class frequent flyers much better. That effectively means my annual spend on SQ is between 25 to 30% per year of what it used to be.

I am probably not alone in that segment, and with recent corporate cutbacks, I am sure more business travellers are having to travel Y for shorter journeys, or consider alternative airlines with cheaper J options. If I were SQ management, I would refine their loyalty strategy to reflect this, and be more inclusive when it comes to their Y frequent flyers.

It's not going to restore my business to SQ to earlier levels, though. I've grown to like Oneworld carriers like QF, BA, JL and CX so much that even if and when I start flying J regularly, I will probably continue flying Oneworld, and not just SQ.
            Last edited by yflyer; 16 November 2015, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              For that reason, in recent years, as soon as I hit 50K miles and qualify for KF Gold, I essentially stop flying SQ and move across to Oneworld, who treat their economy class frequent flyers much better. That effectively means my annual spend on SQ is between 25 to 30% per year of what it used to be.
              That's a sensible strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                ...I essentially stop flying SQ and move across to Oneworld, who treat their economy class frequent flyers much better.
                Is there a reason you chose QF over all other OW FFPs?
                HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                  Is there a reason you chose QF over all other OW FFPs?
                  I signed up to the QF FF programme many years ago, even before Krisflyer was launched.

I've not done a detailed comparison of the merits of other OW FF programmes like CX / BA, but I chose the QF programme simply because among the Oneworld carriers, I flew them the most, and over the longest distances. Apart from SQ, they are my airline of choice to ANZ, and to London (If I decide to do a one-stop).

Even today, if I choose a one-stop to London, I will try to fly the DXB-LHR sector on QF metal.

They have treated me quite well as a frequent flyer (QF Gold / OW Sapphire this year), with the occasional op-up from PEY to J. And even though I fly only Y, I can use their superb lounges in Australia, HKG and elsewhere. The OW lounges that CX, JL and BA have in their respective home bases are very good as well. I've also been upgraded several times on CX and BA.

Award and upgrade availability has been ok as well.

As an unintended benefit, through the EK tie-up, I get to use the EK lounges too (Although I have never been upgraded on EK).

SIN is my home base, and if I had to go with one program, SQ and Krisflyer/Star would be the one. But being a frequent flyer on Qantas/Oneworld has brought me many benefits as well, and I am happy to have had the opportunity to sample what Oneworld has to offer.

Comment

I visited the SYD SilverKris Lounge in Feb 2018 before a flight in SQ's new A380 Suites. Coverage of this lounge available in the TR here.

Comment

Working...
                    X