[HKG] SKL at HKIA (post-renovation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the pics SQFG.

Sorry I missed the new SKL by a few days!

Comment

Wow.. Looks beautiful. Too bad I went to HKG in May and probably won't be going there anytime soon

Comment

Looks good. Thanks for the pictures.

Comment

Here's why there's no shower facilities :

=========
          http://asia.businesstraveller.com/as...ongkong-lounge

Singapore Airlines (SIA) is to open a new First and Business Class lounge at Hongkong International Airport.

The lounge will be ready on September 25 but goes into operation from September 9.

Harry Chu, SIA public relations manager for Hongkong, said the facility would be around twice the size of the existing lounge with a “classier new design”.

Extra space for computer terminals and workstations has been included but there will be no shower facilities. Improved catering can be expected, Chu said.

“Since most of our departures are directly out of Hongkong, we found there was no demand for showers and so we have used the space for other amenities.”

The new lounge will be able to host around 210 passengers at a time and will be open from 6am until 10.30pm. It is situated next to the current lounge opposite gate 15 in the departures area.

For further details about SIA’s lounges and Hongkong services, visit www.singaporeair.com

Kenny Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by Dickson View Post
            Here's why there's no shower facilities :

“Since most of our departures are directly out of Hongkong, we found there was no demand for showers and so we have used the space for other amenities.”
            Is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking??? What kind of a statement is that? They could say the same for many places they serve...

Comment

If your flight is out of HKIA and is only 3 hours plus to your destination, do you really need to take a shower at the airport?

Comment

You may well need to yes; consider one of any number of scenarios - a long stressful day at work, combined by rush hour traffic to the airport, leaving you sweaty and uncomfortable before a long flight,...would a shower not be desirable?

Comment

It's Hong Kong, Sir nickbot. Anyone who stressed out from rush hour traffic instead of using the train to the airport chose that additional stress.

It's a poorly worded statement: I bet Mr Chu meant SQ found little demand for showers from their own passengers who depart from Hong Kong.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    It's Hong Kong, Sir nickbot. Anyone who stressed out from rush hour traffic instead of using the train to the airport chose that additional stress.
                    Fair point, but I must say we experienced moderate stress when getting the bus from the hotel to the train station, although this was in part due to our driver demonstrating suicidal driving techniques

Comment

I still think regardless of whatever the demand is, there's always the expectation that there's a shower in an SKL.

I walk into every single one of them thinking there's a certain standard that applies. There's a "standard look", and a standard "feel". And that's part of the experience - I'm at home before I board.

I fire up my laptop, and there's a wireless network waiting for me. I go to the fridge, there's a diet coke waiting for me I go the toilet - and there ought to be a shower waiting for me (KUL aside).

Never thought to ask if these things were available before - you just expected it. Now, having to consider these things, which I never had to consider before....

Comment

For a much-touted A380 hub charging Suites pax R fares ex-HKG, it should not matter. On the off-chance that an R pax wants a shower, they should by all means have at least one stall available in HKG. Even if its a unisex one.

You really wonder sometimes who they get to give statements like that... someone from PR should've been all over that - better to not say it at all than say that, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jadivindra View Post
                          If your flight is out of HKIA and is only 3 hours plus to your destination, do you really need to take a shower at the airport?
                          What about HKG-SFO or SFO-HKG which are 11 to 13 hr flights? I have flown this segment a few times and always taken a shower in the lounge before or after the flight.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                          .....Never thought to ask if these things were available before - you just expected it.....
                          High demanding....lol +1 I am with you on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post

High demanding....lol +1 I am with you on this one.

Lol.. I'm not demanding... this IS a Silver Kris Lounge after all

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
                              What about HKG-SFO or SFO-HKG which are 11 to 13 hr flights? I have flown this segment a few times and always taken a shower in the lounge before or after the flight.
                              I agree with you. I'm on SQ2 HKG-SFO (10:45PM departure) in about a month and I need to check out of my hotel by 12PM (well I can request a 4PM checkout but I need to dramatize my reply don't I )
                              Anyway, a shower is a must for F passengers on such a long flight. This is actually pretty outrageous.
                              But for me it actually gets even worse since I need to take a connecting flight to Miami (AA272). Since there is no arrival lounge at SFO (or any lounge for that matter) I won't shower for over 24 hours... Sshhh...

Comment

I visited the renovated lounge for the first time today. I must say that I'm disappointed with the changes.

The positives are the ambience feels better and not so dated; and the lounge size is greatly expanded, almost doubled.

But to me, the negatives outweigh. As pointed out, there's no shower facilities - heck, they do not even have toilet facilities. You have to go next door to the public toilet. This is a major letdown. I also wonder whether its necessary to have such a large space. The lounge is less than 30% full during the few hours I was in transit here.

I also feel let down by the First Class section. SIA carved off a small space (accounting for say, <20% of total space) for First Class sitting. But the ventilation in that area is poor - it feels stuffy. Its also a long walk from the common food / buffet area. So you're better off sitting in the common area.

The magazine racks are also poorly designed. You have to stoop very very low to discern the title of the magazines.

I do not see any difference in the variety of food, compared to the old SKL.

But the main grouse I have will be the lack of toilet and shower facility. What I did was that I went to the Thai and United Airlines lounge near Gate 60 for a shower. Its a 10 minute detour each way - but if you need to freshen up, at least there's still a place (far away) you can go.

Comment

Working...
                                X