This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
    I wonder are the performance figures for the 787-10 that impressive for SQ to buy more?
    This is just the formalization of what was announced in February. 19 787-10s and 20 777-9s. Already included in FSJZ's usual fleet updates.

Comment

• Indeed, it’s already firmed up on Boeing’s order books under unidentified customers. Now it’s just a matter of giving Trump the impression Singapore is doing it’s part to help #MAGA

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
        This is just the formalization of what was announced in February. 19 787-10s and 20 777-9s. Already included in FSJZ's usual fleet updates.
        once again straits times has proven itself as a provider of false news.... should shut it down sooner....

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          once again straits times has proven itself as a provider of false news.... should shut it down sooner....
          I thought they were quite clear that it was a formalization of the earlier order:

"In February, SIA agreed to place firm orders with Boeing for 20 777-9s and 19 787-10 Dreamliners, for additional growth and fleet modernisation through the next decade.

Singapore Airlines spokesman Nicholas Ionides confirmed that the aircraft order announced as a letter of intent earlier this year is expected to be formally signed during PM Lee's visit to Washington."

Comment

• Interesting end to this article from a reliable source:
            https://www.ausbt.com.au/here-is-sin...ess-class-seat

Suggestion that the 787 will replace the 772 and that the A330 will be replaced by the A350. This would place a regional A350 back on the cards. I don't know how precise this translation would be, but AusBT doesn't just take wild guesses usually.

2018 is going to be a really interesting year to watch over the fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              Interesting end to this article from a reliable source:

Suggestion that the 787 will replace the 772.
              I can't see how 49 787-10's can replace 11 777-200's. Even if it meant the 777-200 & -200ER that will 49 aircraft replacing 21.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                Interesting end to this article from a reliable source:

Suggestion that the 787 will replace the 772 and that the A330 will be replaced by the A350. This would place a regional A350 back on the cards. I don't know how precise this translation would be, but AusBT doesn't just take wild guesses usually.

2018 is going to be a really interesting year to watch over the fleet.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, SQ228 – we certainly didn't take a wild guess, we were working off background from SQ, which told us:
                The Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-900 mid-haul aircraft will replace the longer serving aircraft currently in our fleet, including the A330 and 777-200 aircraft.
                Obviously the 787-10 isn't limited to a 1:1 swap with the 777-200s, as there's scope for growth and potentially other aircraft beyond the 777-200s.

Comment

• I think we shouldn't get fixated on the idea that the 787-10s are replacing the 330s and the 350s are replacing the 772s or the other way round. Currently it is not unusual for routes to get swapped between 330s and 772s (BKK for eg) so what we can say is a bunch of 787-10s and 350s in regional configuration will replace the 330s and 772s.

The purist in me would like to see only one aircraft type in regional configuration, but given the delivery schedules, I think we'll see both. My guess is once the 350ULRs are delivered next year, we'll start seeing regional 350s.

The number of aircraft on firm order exceeds the current fleet which is still relatively young, so there is going to be lots of flexibility on which aircraft replaces what. There is some debate on whether 777-9Xs will replace the 77Ws or the 380s, but most likely it will be some combination of both. Unless demand for used large aircraft increases dramatically, I'm quite sure the 5 380s yet to be delivered and the last 8 77Ws (SWU onwards) will still be in the fleet when all the 777-9Xs have been delivered.
                  Last edited by 259850; 27 October 2017, 10:36 AM. Reason: to improve word flow

Comment

• Not sure if this is a mistake but I flew with SQ recently and noticed something different regarding the number of 779s and 78Js on order. The fleet info page of the inflight mag shows 26 B779s and 55 B78Js on order instead of 20 B779s and 49 B78Js.
                    Last edited by maverick_lim; 29 October 2017, 11:35 PM. Reason: To clarify further

Comment

• Originally posted by maverick_lim View Post
                      Not sure if this is a mistake but I flew with SQ recently and noticed something different regarding the number of 779s and 78Js on order. The fleet info page of the inflight mag shows 26 B779s and 55 B78Js on order instead of 20 B779s and 49 B78Js.
                      Seems like the 6 options for each type have been mistakenly included in the total.

Comment

• I spoke to a member of SQ A350 crew in a hotel in the last few days. Without me prompting they said they believe the regional A350 plans have been scrapped in favour of the 787-10.

Comment

• SWV has hatched, and according to the calendar it has exactly been 6 weeks. I already conclude it is a 77WR, and is currently doing LHR (SQ318/319). No airtest performed as with every 77WN (except for SNA). EDIT: As of today (11/13), SWV is flying SQ12/7, coming back and making its first visit to Seoul-Incheon on its way back. So it has PEY. Hope when FSJZ has the chance, he'll update the fleet information where we no longer have 77WN designation.

That being said, there is no more 77WN designation. It is still between 77W (2006 products) and 77WR since all 77WN are a 77WR. I think the current number of frames we have should cover SQ211/212 and SQ836/825 because it's going daily 77WR on November 20th, as reiterated in an earlier post. Because SQ212 arrives to SIN next day afternoon (instead of early morning), it would obviously be 2 frames. It looks like the entire 77W fleet will be retrofitted only in 2018....As far as the other routes (i.e. When MEL goes 380 in December, NRT will get back its 77W, which will only be 3-class, MEL (237/238) has gone 77WR on some days, but it will go back to daily 77W for now at least, and HND (634/635), which at times is rotating between a normal 773 and 77W, and seldom gets a 77WR). When MEL's 380 gets switched back to a 77W, it will be a 77WR in January, but right now it's using just a regular 77W for the time being (217/218). It's definitely going to be 2018 for sure that every 77W will have PEY, at least I'd assume February or March (latest). Let's just wait and see.

On the other hand, I think SWG is in for a refit, it has not flown anywhere since it has come as SQ218. Also, has anyone noticed that SWQ has a new Wifi hump? I think it is the OnAir Immersat Wifi, and if anyone has recently flown SWQ, do you know if it is time based or volume based? (NOTE: NZ happens to have a hump similar to that of SWQ)
                          Last edited by SQfanatic; 13 November 2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                            Also, has anyone noticed that SWQ has a new Wifi hump? I think it is the OnAir Immersat Wifi, and if anyone has recently flown SWQ, do you know if it is time based or volume based? (NOTE: NZ happens to have a hump similar to that of SWQ)
                            I haven't seen the hump but at the product launch event last Friday, it was confirmed to me that "Whisky Quebec" does have the new faster Inmarsat wifi.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
                              I haven't seen the hump but at the product launch event last Friday, it was confirmed to me that "Whisky Quebec" does have the new faster Inmarsat wifi.
                              I discovered that thru Google and YT, first I thought my eyes were deceiving but it is not true at all. Whiskey Quebec has the new hump but not at the same part as some of the 77WRs. I hope it is time based.

Comment

• From the analyst briefing on Wednesday morning:

Slides
                                http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...ngq2fy1718.pdf

Transcript
                                http://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pd...pt-2fy1718.pdf

Key takeaways with regards to fleet:

1) Although 1 772 and 1 772ER will exit the fleet by end March, only the 772 (SRL) will be going to NokScoot. Not sure what happens to SVF, but it will be out.

2) There will be a launch event for the regional business class in 1st half next year. It will be launched on 787-10s. Although there's no mention of it in the transcript, slide 26 suggests that there will be regional A359s as well.

3) We'll have to wait till early May when they give the next analyst briefing for next fleet update. That would be an interesting one - we'll know which planes are exiting in the next fiscal year (2018/19). Additions are pretty certain now: 3 A380s, 7 A359ULRs, ? B787-10s and ? A359s. But they are now budgeting only S$5.6bn for new aircraft purchases for next fiscal year compared to the S$6.4bn announced just 6 months ago. The CFO says in the transcript that there is a "small number of movements in delivery positions." 12.5% cut is not small to me. But sounds like they won't take delivery of any A359s beyond the 7 ULRs next fiscal year.
                                Last edited by 259850; 10 November 2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X