Qatar Airways Airbus A350-XWB in Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qatar Airways Airbus A350-XWB in Economy

Yeah, I slammed the Qatar Airways Boeing 787 in Economy. They used the 3-3-3 config in Economy and many airlines are also using the same 3-3-3 in Economy for their B787. Stay away!

To be fair, the Qatar Airways new Airbus A350-XWB in Economy is much, much better. Also 3-3-3 in Economy, but the seats are wider and no nasty IFE box.

Here is my flight review video of the A350 experience.
    https://youtu.be/MeTxDyDYHyQ

Qatar calls itself a 5-star airline. This is my first experience in Qatar and in Economy, so I can only compare with other Economy products. Generally, I think Qatar has a very good Economy product, especially in the Airbus A350. However, the major, major blemish is the terrible seat space on the Boeing 787-8 product.

For this thread, let me commend the new Airbus A350 product from Qatar.
    This is the picture of the cockpit (from the aerobridge) of the Airbus A350,
    after landing at Changi.

Qatar Airways A350 Flight on the new Airbus A350 from Doha to Singapore. It was a 0700hrs departure from Doha and landed in Singapore at 1950 hrs local time.

We were travelling from London to Singapore, with a 45 minute layover in Doha. We had a 45 minute layover in Doha. The transfer was rather rushed, but still do-able. QR 002 landed in Doha on time, but we did not have an aero-bridge. We had to take a bus to the terminal, similar to earlier experience.

At Doha, we had to re-do security screening, which fortunately was very fast and hassle free. There were many transfer passengers, however, I noticed that they cleared us very quickly as compared to say LHR. Some kind of huge yellow ultra big toy in the middle of the hall? Didn't have time to take a look. This picture was taken while walking!

We boarded the aircraft rather late, i.e. almost all the other passengers had boarded. From the transfer security area, it was a rather long walk to the gate for the Airbus A350 flight to Singapore. I recall it was at Gate B8. See the time stamp on the Gate - 0647hrs! Yes, we got there just in the nick of time.

The plane was new. This flight was rather empty so I had an empty seat beside me. Seat space was decent and the IFE system was modern with a nifty touchscreen.I found this video clip on the touchscreen IFE. Exciting!

Onboard the aircraft now. Here is the safety card, Airbus A350-900. I found the safety card to be unexpectedly worn and used, I wonder why. I had thought the A350 was a very new aircraft?

I was seated near the front of the aircraft. It was a day flight and I think most pax were not sleepy, unlike us.

This is how the IFE system looked like. Very modern, and even better than the system on the Boeing 787.

Service on board was good. Overall, Qatar offers a top notch Economy product in their A350.

For the food, we had two meals. First meal of breakfast was served shortly after takeoff. We had three choices of the hot meal. I had the Asian inspired Thai-style with fried rice. As this was breakfast, it felt too early for alcohol, but I think I had some.

After breakfast, I had a decent sleep, about 4 hours. Woke up about 2 hours before landing. The next meal served before landing was a light one. Sandwich plus cake and drinks. Still, it was a definitely a good snack. Taste was good, presentation was good.

Landing in SIN was on time.

The FAs were very pleasant and attentive throughout. I appreciate the extra attention they showered on my two kids.

In this video, I also remember the recent earthquake tragedy in Mt Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. Several young primary school children and teachers lost their lives, due to falling boulders. Rest in peace.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for sharing!

But plastic main meal casserole and cutlery? Very LCC-ish...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
      Thanks for sharing!

But plastic main meal casserole and cutlery? Very LCC-ish...
      LoL. Well, Qatar was just voted the best Airline in the world! Check out their Boeing 787 Economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarsingapore View Post
        LoL. Well, Qatar was just voted the best Airline in the world! Check out their Boeing 787 Economy.
        By Skytrax, no less ....

Comment

Qatar's IFE

Well, to be fair, I really liked the IFE system on the Qatar Airbus A350-XWB and I am going to write another poem.

Comment

Thanks for sharing

I wish SQ's flight map would improve..

Comment

Qatar Airbus A350 IFE - Clear Winner Here!

Alright, another poem, this time to praise Qatar's A350 IFE system.

https://youtu.be/wetEFmoVYfQ

Qatar Airways A350 IFE - A Clear Winner Here!

Qatar, Qatar, your IFE is nifty
              Comes with the big screen, even Economy
              Much fun to fiddle, touchscreen is groovy
              Congrats to Qatar - your A-Three-Fifty

Qatar, Qatar, your IFE is clear
              The screen so sharp, nothing comes near
              Many features, movies in full gear
              Congrats to Qatar, clear winner here!

Qatar, Qatar, your IFE is clear
              The camera on the tail, also in the rear
              See so many cities, and drink my Heineken beer
              Congrats to Qatar, a clear winner here!

Qatar, Qatar, your IFE is nifty
              Great joy to fiddle, my fingers move quickly
              Screen responds surely, brightly and swiftly
              Congrats to Qatar - your A-Three-Fifty

Comment

I read that bulkhead seats has only 2 seats but I'm guessing no personal IFE? That would be kinda cruel on a 7 hour+ flight. Unless maybe it was a redeye and you slept all the way?
                Flickr, Reviews, SIN Credit Card Usage Reference Table

Comment

thanks for this GuitarSGP. Looks like QR A350 is one econ seat to be in - the colours seem bright and welcoming, did it feel so?

I like the IFE too - certainly a high benchmark for SQ to stretch twds.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                    thanks for this GuitarSGP. Looks like QR A350 is one econ seat to be in - the colours seem bright and welcoming, did it feel so?

I like the IFE too - certainly a high benchmark for SQ to stretch twds.
                    Glad you found the review useful.

Yes, overall the feel was good in the Airbus A350.

So far, am I correct that SQ doesn't use a touchscreen for their IFE?

I wonder why.

Comment

I wonder why.
                      I read somewhere (could have been this forum) that it was thought to be a bit of a stretch for passengers to use a touchscreen. Indeed I actually found it slightly tiring for my right arm when I used a touchscreen IFE on another airline.

Comment

Glad you found the review useful.

Yes, overall the feel was good in the Airbus A350.

I wonder why.
                        i cant recall any of SQ's IFE being touchscreen. I remember using EK's touchscreen (tho on J) as far back as 2010, so the tech is definitely out there for a while. maybe those who have tried SQ's new J can update whether its IFE is touchscreen?

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                          i cant recall any of SQ's IFE being touchscreen. I remember using EK's touchscreen (tho on J) as far back as 2010, so the tech is definitely out there for a while. maybe those who have tried SQ's new J can update whether its IFE is touchscreen?
                          The answer is no. The new J does not have a touchscreen for the big screen, though the seat control is a touchscreen.

See video.
                          https://youtu.be/UCSs8iQ3jOE

Comment

AFAIK, SQ's new Y on its 773ERs has touchscreen monitors.

After reading your review, I am looking forward to my QR A350 flights in Aug!
                            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

The newer 77WN does have touchscreen in Y.

Comment

Working...
                              X