No announcement yet.

SQ A380 Economy to Shanghai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We arrived at Pudong Airport in the mid afternoon on Mother's Day to check in for our flight back to Singapore.

There was a short line at the Y check-in counters, but none at the F/J or KF Gold counters...

The cardboard cut-out of the SQ Girl at the check-in area seemed to be leaning a little too much that day...perhaps SQ should arrange a tie-up with the Singapore Police Force to have their iconic "cardboard cop" paired up with the SQ girl at each station. They would make a lovely SG couple...

As it was Mother's Day, Mrs yflyer was given a small gift at check-in...

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Before our flight, we checked out the Air China Business Class Lounge, which was the designated Star Gold lounge in that part of the terminal...

This is a large, two-level lounge with comfortable seating and dedicated bar/dining areas...

We were there in-between meal times...they were just clearing the spread from lunch, so we were not able to check out the food on offer...

There was a bartender mixing drinks to order -- not just a self service counter...thumbs up!

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Boarding took place on time. It was 9V-SKB again!

As we pushed back and taxi'ed for take-off, I noticed Emirates A380 rego A6-EEI (MSN 123), which, at two and a half years old, was a comparatively youthful aircraft compared to 9V-SKB (MSN 5). It looked good in Emirates livery with the Dubai Expo graphic near the nose, and the 2015 Rugby World Cup graphic along the fuselage.

Once again, we were on the upper deck of the A380, this time in the regular window seats.

Today's dinner menu...

I went for the oriental selection, the Kung Pao chicken...

Prawn starter, with a generous portion of larger-than-expected prawns...

The main was wonderful as well, tasting every bit as delicious as it looked...

An ice cream cone for dessert...

We landed on schedule after the 5+ hour flight -- yet another top notch flight on SQ...

And that wraps up this TR. Thanks for reading!
        Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
          Ya, hope they switch back to the headphones with the headband, or at least provide better quality earphones...

I couple of flights ago I got so naffed by the headphones I looked inside the KrisShop mag for an adaptor.....S$15. "Hmmm", I though. A little steep but let's see.

It was a couple of weeks before my TG flight to Europe in J so I let is slide, preferring to wait. At Frankfurt airport before boarding a flight to Aberdeen I looked in Duty Free......Euro8.00 (S$12) so I decided if I didn't find anything in Scotland I would pick up a piece on the return.

It was my mum that said....."Look on Amazon." Now, she's ~70yrs and simply blew me away.

GBP1.98........ for 2pcs, including postage and this wasn't even the cheapest option but I picked from where the comments were good and the contacts came "Gold Plated" though at less than a pound each

Anyway, long story short......used them a couple of times now, and most recently on SQ's 777 to Manila with a set of Sony buds....... work perfectly and the sound quality is a million times better than SQ's own rubbish.....for S$2.

Comment

At least they don't collect back that "rubbish" earpiece when the plane is about to land. Think you can bring it home too?

(By the way, can we bring home the food menu as souvenir?)

Comment

Nice TR as always!

Based on this and your Korea TRs it seems Mrs. yflyer really knows about lesser-known food places. Never knew about Mr. and Mrs. Bund despite visiting that area several times over the years. Unfortunately a google search of the place indicates that it's "permanently closed."

And I agree about the new headphones. My gripe about them is not only the sound quality, but also how easily I'm able to yank them out of my ears. Frustrating when it happens when you are in the middle of watching or listening to something.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                I couple of flights ago I got so naffed by the headphones I looked inside the KrisShop mag for an adaptor.....S$15. "Hmmm", I though. A little steep but let's see.

[...snip...]

Anyway, long story short......used them a couple of times now, and most recently on SQ's 777 to Manila with a set of Sony buds....... work perfectly and the sound quality is a million times better than SQ's own rubbish.....for S$2.
                I would not pay more than SGD5 for one of those (OK maybe SGD10 if I'm desperate if I've misplaced my own). You can get them at Funan Center or Sim Lim as well. These days if I see decent quality adapters on sale, I will buy a few. I try to have at least one spare one with me at all times, so that if I am on a flight with a friend, I can just pass him/her the spare if needed.

At least once, I gave an adapter to a total stranger because she asked how to get her headphones to work on her seat.

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                  At least they don't collect back that "rubbish" earpiece when the plane is about to land. Think you can bring it home too?

(By the way, can we bring home the food menu as souvenir?)
                  I wouldn't bring the SQ earbud headphones home -- to me they are unusable. But I'm picky about audio :-)

The menus are probably not meant to be taken (As I believe they re-use menus). But I doubt anyone would mind if you kept one...

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                    Nice TR as always!

Based on this and your Korea TRs it seems Mrs. yflyer really knows about lesser-known food places. Never knew about Mr. and Mrs. Bund despite visiting that area several times over the years. Unfortunately a google search of the place indicates that it's "permanently closed."
                    Thanks, SQGamespeed! I was quite intrigued as well when I saw Google list this restaurant as "permanently closed". I asked Mrs yflyer about it. Turns out they were closed for renovations for some time, and only just re-opened in early May. She ate there (Without me) on a previous trip, before the renovations, and she liked it so much that she kept checking back with them to see if they had re-opened so that she could make a dinner reservation for our recent trip!

Comment

Working...
                    X