St. Regis Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Singapore and Starwood are a strange one for me as it's my primary hotel programme, the city I visit as much as any other (more or less), yet I haven't stayed in a Starwood property there in the last few years.
    Ever since an esteemed SQTalker raved about the location of a certain other hotel, I haven't set foot in the SR. That said, I must reiterate again that the SR took care of my family like royalty when they last visited. That goes a long way with me in terms of loyalty.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    ...once in Osaka...
    The SR in Osaka is MUCH easier to access trains than the RC hike to Osaka Station, correct?

Having said that, I like the StR in San Francisco, although not as much as the W there, save for the Bentley ride to the restaurant that a fellow SQTalker managed to persuade them to take us to despite it being well outside the supposed allowed range from the hotel.
    MAN Flyer does hold his grudges! Had the SR upgraded you to the Astor Suite you had requested (and verified availability), I believe your tone might soften towards them.
    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
      Ever since an esteemed SQTalker raved about the location of a certain other hotel, I haven't set foot in the SR.
      If that certain other hotel is the GH, I don't think their room decor is particularly suited to anyone that prefers anything other than minimalist. The toilets in the standard room are also uninspiring. I'd rank the SR over the GH on that basis. Yes, location's not as great. There'll be people who like both. Some find the SR gaudy, but overall I stand by my experience.

The Sheraton SIN hasn't credited 3 nights out of 4 on the last visit 3 weeks ago now. Ridiculous.

Comment

The SR in Osaka is MUCH easier to access trains than the RC hike to Osaka Station, correct?
        It's only easier in the sense that from Osaka station, it's easier to get to the SR by taxi compared to the hike (i.e. walk) to the RC.

If not by taxi, then you'd have to take the subway to get to the SR and which would make it much more hassle than the RC hike:

http://www.moveandstay.com/osaka/pic.../osaka-map.gif

(Two stops from Umeda to Honmachi. The SR is right next to one of the exits from Honmachi.)
        Last edited by jhm; 14 June 2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          The toilets in the standard room are also uninspiring. I'd rank the SR over the GH on that basis.
          I can't say I've ever stopped to consider whether the toilets are inspiring when deciding were to stay. As a matter of interest, what hotels have these inspiring toilets you seek ?.

Comment

I can't say I've ever stopped to consider whether the toilets are inspiring when deciding were to stay. As a matter of interest, what hotels have these inspiring toilets you seek ?.

Comment

If that certain other hotel is the GH, I don't think their room decor is particularly suited to anyone that prefers anything other than minimalist. The toilets in the standard room are also uninspiring. I'd rank the SR over the GH on that basis. Yes, location's not as great. There'll be people who like both. Some find the SR gaudy, but overall I stand by my experience.
              I wouldn't know as I only stay in the suites there and enjoy the Club Lounge, where you've been guested.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              It's only easier in the sense that from Osaka station, it's easier to get to the SR by taxi compared to the hike (i.e. walk) to the RC.

If not by taxi, then you'd have to take the subway to get to the SR and which would make it much more hassle than the RC hike:

http://www.moveandstay.com/osaka/pic.../osaka-map.gif

(Two stops from Umeda to Honmachi. The SR is right next to one of the exits from Honmachi.)
              My American apparently wasn't clear. I meant: isn't it much easier to catch a train from the SR than the RC?

+1

And I thought it was just jhm who enjoyed his toilet paper embossed.
              HUGE AL

Comment

My American apparently wasn't clear. I meant: isn't it much easier to catch a train from the SR than the RC?
                American! Yes, it's easier from the SR because a subway entrance is right next door but if that was my only criteria, I'd stay at the Granvia (right inside Osaka station - I've not tried it).

And I thought it was just jhm who enjoyed his toilet paper embossed.
                Toilets (including the paper) are very important. A trip to the ones in the JL lounge are a highlight every time I pass through FRA! The same for the ones in the showers rooms in the CX lounges in HKG (although they get too hot and humid after using the shower). I think of LHR T5 and I think of the strange gurgling toilets inside the BA lounge. And so on!

Comment

I was very inspired by the toilets at the WA Shanghai, actually. In fact, the Sheraton Saigon's Towers feature some of the most inspired toilets and I'm sure you, of all people, would know what I'm talking about.

I hear UMD raving about Kempinski Jakarta's toilets also

I should start Kyo's hotel toilet review. I find myself extremely picky about toilets, more's the pity. It irks me when I find a poorly designed toilet.

I also like certain toilets in airport lounges - whether it's water pressure (SGN), the walls (VS in JFK), the amenities (NRT/HKG UA and NH F). It all adds up. I pay more for movies at Siam Paragon because I appreciate their Ultra Screen toilets. And I am delighted to admit that I'm not the only one that gets excited by embossed toilet paper... it does make a statement!
                  Last edited by Kyo; 15 June 2012, 12:42 AM.

Comment

MAN Flyer does hold his grudges! Had the SR upgraded you to the Astor Suite you had requested (and verified availability), I believe your tone might soften towards them.
                    I don't hold any grudge over that, it was an pleasant stay and we enjoyed it. I don't mind not getting a Suite if none are available, but I cannot stand being lied to about it, which is what happened. If it wasn't for the missus who said 'We don't need a Suite, this room is fine' I would have gone back down and 'discussed' it with them.

In fact, the Sheraton Saigon's Towers feature some of the most inspired toilets and I'm sure you, of all people, would know what I'm talking about.
                    I've stayed there around 30 times and I couldn't even tell you what the toilets look like. I try to spend as little time as possible in them to be honest. I'm back there before the end of the month so I'll have a good look to see if I can find this inspiration.

I should start Kyo's hotel toilet review........I am delighted to admit that I'm not the only one that gets excited by embossed toilet paper...
                    I am sure there are websites somewhere were this stuff is discussed with great enthusiasm, presumably with accompanying pictures. However, we have no need of such threads on here, thanks.

Comment

I am sure there are websites somewhere were this stuff is discussed with great enthusiasm, presumably with accompanying pictures. However, we have no need of such threads on here, thanks.
                      Umm... I think we've already had plenty of discussion with great enthusiasm and accompanying pictures. Do I need to remind you about the FCT bathroom take 1, FCT bathroom take 2, and the review of the "A380 facilities"??
                      Last edited by stargold; 15 June 2012, 07:17 AM.

Comment

http://www.worldtoilet.org/wto/

I think we have OTed enough...

Comment

And...Kyo+ takes the whole thread down the drain...

I don't hold any grudge over that, it was an pleasant stay and we enjoyed it. I don't mind not getting a Suite if none are available, but I cannot stand being lied to about it, which is what happened. If it wasn't for the missus who said 'We don't need a Suite, this room is fine' I would have gone back down and 'discussed' it with them.
                          I remember. Was just seeing if THAT incident made you prefer the W (YUCK!) over the SR.
                          HUGE AL

Comment

So any of you SPG Plats gotten the Plat treatment at the Park Regis lately?

Luxury chain St Regis Singapore loses trademark battle
                            Four-star hotel wins appeal; trademarks are visually different, says judge

By k.c. vijayan law correspondent

Six-star hotel St Regis Singapore was not amused when a four-star rival called Park Regis Singapore opened in 2010. Afraid that the public would think both names were linked, it successfully applied to the Registrar of Trade Marks last year to stop Park Regis from registering that name as a trademark.
                            It also argued then but failed to convince the registrar that Park Regis was "passing off" as a St Regis brand, which would have potentially stopped the Park Regis name from being used.
                            Park Regis filed an appeal and the High Court has now allowed it to register its name as a trademark. It overruled the Registrar of Trade Marks and said while both names bore some similarity, there was no possibility of confusion.
                            Justice Judith Prakash, in her 38-page judgment grounds released last week, noted the trademarks accompanying both names were visually dissimilar and there was enough doubt in people's minds that both were associated.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...attle-20121016

Comment

Working...
                            X