Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about SQ1/2 (Transit)

Hi everyone,

As some of you may or may not know, there is a possibility of me traveling in November for Thanksgiving and some religious festivities for about 2-3 weeks to India. Just a question I wanted to ask: While we were doing a dummy booking (SFO-MAA, DEL-SFO), we see the following message:

Passengers who are transiting through Hong Kong SAR on SQ1 / SQ2 may be required to hold a valid Visa. Click here to check on your Visa requirements.

So, we basically hold a US passport and a OCI card/Indian passport (which is only used on the SIN-India sector), meaning we are dual citizens. Would we be fine transiting like normal just like the past few trips?

Just asking as my mom and I prefer to take SQ1 and come back by SQ2 and not SQ31/32 as we were debating on taking the nonstop for this particular reason. My dad is in the process of finalizing this.

Cheers!

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
    Hi everyone,

As some of you may or may not know, there is a possibility of me traveling in November for Thanksgiving and some religious festivities for about 2-3 weeks to India. Just a question I wanted to ask: While we were doing a dummy booking (SFO-MAA, DEL-SFO), we see the following message:

Passengers who are transiting through Hong Kong SAR on SQ1 / SQ2 may be required to hold a valid Visa. Click here to check on your Visa requirements.

So, we basically hold a US passport and a OCI card/Indian passport (which is only used on the SIN-India sector), meaning we are dual citizens. Would we be fine transiting like normal just like the past few trips?

Just asking as my mom and I prefer to take SQ1 and come back by SQ2 and not SQ31/32 as we were debating on taking the nonstop for this particular reason. My dad is in the process of finalizing this.

Cheers!
    Calling the airline will get you the most appropriate answer

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
      Calling the airline will get you the most appropriate answer
      I have just gotten off the phone and they do not have an answer and said I'd have to contact the US Embassy.

I would like to get answers from anyone who has flown SQ1 and SQ2 on this forum.

Cheers!

Comment

I found the answer by putting "transit visa hong kong" into a Google search. It took me a few seconds.

Comment

I have just gotten off the phone and they do not have an answer and said I'd have to contact the US Embassy.

I would like to get answers from anyone who has flown SQ1 and SQ2 on this forum.

Cheers!
          Sounds like a liability issue

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
            I found the answer by putting "transit visa hong kong" into a Google search. It took me a few seconds.
            I read thru that even before this thread was posted. What threw me off is that Indian citizens have to get a Visa and US Citizens don't.

For pretty much all my bookings we have used a US Citizenship but for Indian bound flights, we use both, for customs we do have to enter our OCI card as that is required.

So I guess I can say we'll be fine and go thru normal procedures as we have before.

Comment

I read thru that even before this thread was posted. What threw me off is that Indian citizens have to get a Visa and US Citizens don't.

For pretty much all my bookings we have used a US Citizenship but for Indian bound flights, we use both, for customs we do have to enter our OCI card as that is required.

So I guess I can say we'll be fine and go thru normal procedures as we have before.
              Indian nationals don't require any visa to transit through HKG. There are a small number of countries whose nationals do require a transit visa. Perhaps this is something new. That is why SQ in a booking advises you that you may require a visa while transiting through HKG as the website does not perform the function of checking your passport details against visa laws.

Regardless, airlines are not responsible for providing visa advice during a booking. All that HKG officials would want is to see a passport that is yours. You have a US passport. Show them that. I'd say "problem solved" but this was never a problem and didn't require a solution. It has nothing to do with Singapore Airlines.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                Indian nationals don't require any visa to transit through HKG. There are a small number of countries whose nationals do require a transit visa. Perhaps this is something new. That is why SQ in a booking advises you that you may require a visa while transiting through HKG as the website does not perform the function of checking your passport details against visa laws.

Regardless, airlines are not responsible for providing visa advice during a booking. All that HKG officials would want is to see a passport that is yours. You have a US passport. Show them that. I'd say "problem solved" but this was never a problem and didn't require a solution. It has nothing to do with Singapore Airlines.
                That helps a lot. Thanks for the info SQ228 and everyone else. I guess when we finalize the booking, SQ1/2 are fine for us after all.

Comment

Thanks everyone who was able to help, but unfortunately, SQ's price is a little too high and we've decided to take CX due to its convenience and better fare. I do appreciate your advice which will be kept for future reference trips.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                  X