Confirmed: SQ to restart SQ21/22 to EWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spaniard View Post
    Fun fact, there is a single seat row 10 (10A) - would this be the first time that J doesn't start in row 11?
    I think so.
    10A and 17D seem to be blocked for the non-stop flights. Both for crew rest?

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
      I think the 6 solo PEY seats (3 on each side) at the rear are brilliant!

You get a window AND aisle access...talk about having your cake and eating it.

They would be my first choice if travelling alone on this flight!
      I do wonder if its due to the curvature at the rear bulkhead a la the A330? I thought the A350 was marketed precisely that it does not have such a "feature" as on the A330. If that's the case, I've got to wonder if the IFE for the first solo seat after the pair of seats will be at an offset from the centre as is the case on the A330. That wouldn't be very ideal imo. In view that I'd probably be binge watching TV shows / movies.

Comment

Originally posted by young View Post
        They used to operate each flight with 2 sets of crew. I remember on one particular flight towards the end, we actually had more crew than passengers. Go figure

Also, 345 crew were exclusively trained. Hence many of them did back to back rotations and were renunerated handsomely.

Unfortunately, quite a number of senior 345 crew have since developed Cancer in recent years, propagating the theories of harmful effects of prolonged cosmic radiation exposure.
        I wonder how does that work. For instance, does one set of crew work the first 10 hours of the flight (with crew rest in between). Then, the entire set of crew goes to sleep while the 2nd group of grew wakes up and continues that 10-hour remaining? And for each set of the crew, they are just operating a 10-hour flight?

This is very interesting, I am into learning more about the crew pattern here.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
          I think the 6 solo PEY seats (3 on each side) at the rear are brilliant!

You get a window AND aisle access...talk about having your cake and eating it.

They would be my first choice if travelling alone on this flight!
          40A is mine! I called it first!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
            I do wonder if its due to the curvature at the rear bulkhead a la the A330? I thought the A350 was marketed precisely that it does not have such a "feature" as on the A330. If that's the case, I've got to wonder if the IFE for the first solo seat after the pair of seats will be at an offset from the centre as is the case on the A330. That wouldn't be very ideal imo. In view that I'd probably be binge watching TV shows / movies.
            Yes, I do remember the lack of curvature on the A350 as being one of its "features". By my observations on the current A350 though, it is largely achieved by having a lot of the galley space curve around the sides, beyond the last row of Y in the centre.

With this ULR variant, less passengers, mean less galley and it's probably impossible to get the rather boxy PEY seat, designed specifically for the widest point of a plane, to jam into a slightly smaller space, compared with a regular Y seat that is designed with adaptability in mind.

You raise a very good point about the IFE though, and indeed, it remains to be seen whether these last few rows are really "window" seats or an aisle seat with a great big gap between it and the window so that the screen lines up.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              You raise a very good point about the IFE though, and indeed, it remains to be seen whether these last few rows are really "window" seats or an aisle seat with a great big gap between it and the window so that the screen lines up.
              One couldn't obviously tell from just looking at the seat map, but then again, looking at it, the cabin curvature and seat arrangements at the rear reminds of the the rear seats on the B747 - i.e. on the 747 the 2 seaters at the rear is more aligned with the BC and HJ seats - that would probably make it not a "true window" as there could be a gap between the seat and window.

40A and 40H are definitely the seats to go in travelling solo on PEY...
              Last edited by wlgspotter; 1 June 2018, 09:17 AM. Reason: Corrected typo

Comment

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
                I'm not sure but I would recommend at least 3 hours headway. For one, you will need to claim your bag at EWR upon arrival at the US regardless of final destination for customs inspection.

But if you are planning to go to JFK,
                I definitely don't want to go from EWR to JFK! I'm sure proper onward connections will become available for booking in the near future.

One thing I like about SQ26 is that immigration at JFK is usually a breeze, and I'm usually out the other side in ten minutes. The one time it took much longer was when we were delayed ex-SIN by three hours, and the lines were horrible.

Does anybody know how crowded immigration is at EWR when SQ22 is scheduled to land?

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                  2) As others have pointed out, the timings are different. Ex-SIN it departs 45 minutes after the JFK flight. I get JFK and EWR are different airports, but I wonder if SQ has ever considered retiming the JFK flight to maybe a later departure ex-SIN so it can spend less time on the ground in JFK.
                  I think SQ needs an overnight flight to FRA departing around midnight, so if they retime SQ26, then they'll probably have to move SQ326 to depart around that time. If SQ26 were to depart, say, eight hours later, it would arrive in FRA around 2pm, and JFK 6pm or so, enough for a quick turnaround. A gap shorter than eight hours may not work as you probably don't want too early a departure out of SIN.

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                    Is me, or the premium economy class to EWR (and even JFK) is actually quite cheap now?

Cheaper than almost all European and other US destinations.

Very enticing indeed. Thought of booking it for my birthday next year, but my bonus haven't come in yet.
                    I just realised another thing. They added a new fare class for Premium Economy, called Premium Economy Lite (booking code R).

That explains why the fare to NYC in PEY is rather cheap.

Also, upgrade with miles is now allowed in Premium Economy Standard (booking code P).

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                      2) As others have pointed out, the timings are different. Ex-SIN it departs 45 minutes after the JFK flight. I get JFK and EWR are different airports, but I wonder if SQ has ever considered retiming the JFK flight to maybe a later departure ex-SIN so it can spend less time on the ground in JFK.
                      The current SQ 25/26 flight timings are as perfect as can be, with overnight flights on 3 of the 4 sectors: SIN-FRA, JFK-FRA, FRA-JFK. Business travellers (and leisure travellers like myself) like to depart overnight and arrive in the morning.

Between an early morning arrival into EWR, late morning departure ex-EWR VS late afternoon arrival into EWR, night-time departure ex-EWR, I would prefer the former. As someone who's based in the US East Coast (but not NYC), I would need to connect to a short domestic flight after a flight from Singapore. If the SQ non-stop arrives at EWR in the late afternoon/evening, my domestic flight options would be more limited after factoring in the time taken to clear immigration and customs, as compared to an early morning arrival which opens up more options for the domestic connection. The only issue is the early departure for EWR-SIN which means that I would have to catch the first domestic flight out to EWR and hope it lands on time...

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                        I just realised another thing. They added a new fare class for Premium Economy, called Premium Economy Lite (booking code R).

That explains why the fare to NYC in PEY is rather cheap.

Also, upgrade with miles is now allowed in Premium Economy Standard (booking code P).
                        Indeed, what a subtle change with no announcements. When the fare classes were revised earlier this year, PEY only had 'Standard' and 'Flexi', whereby standard was not upgradeable (http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us.../jr2017-171215).

Now with 'Lite' PEY fares, 'Standard' fares are upgradeable (http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg...us/fare-types/).

I do wonder if the new 'Lite' fares are what 'Standard' fares used to cost, and if 'Standard' fares are now what 'Flexi' used to cost, with 'Flexi' even costlier!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                          Indeed, what a subtle change with no announcements. When the fare classes were revised earlier this year, PEY only had 'Standard' and 'Flexi', whereby standard was not upgradeable (http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us.../jr2017-171215).

Now with 'Lite' PEY fares, 'Standard' fares are upgradeable (http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg...us/fare-types/).

I do wonder if the new 'Lite' fares are what 'Standard' fares used to cost, and if 'Standard' fares are now what 'Flexi' used to cost, with 'Flexi' even costlier!
                          Actually the Standard fare still remains the same. Was looking at the so-called promo fares to Sydney at S$1800+, and that's Standard fare (same price and same fare code before and after the introduction of Lite).

Comment

Is it just me or does having 3 lavs for basically 70 J pax seem odd? For some reason I can't help but think that there should be 4...

Comment

https://www.rolls-royce.com/~/media/...t-1000-TEN.pdf

" Rolls-Royce has introduced package ‘B’ and ‘C’ improvements. The first was predominantly to improve fuel consumption. Package ‘C’ further improved sfc but also delivered the additional thrust needed to power the new -9 version of the aircraft."

Comment

Originally posted by cyralax View Post
                                Is it just me or does having 3 lavs for basically 70 J pax seem odd? For some reason I can't help but think that there should be 4...
                                The handicap lav is essentially 2 lavs that can be combined when needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X