Getting silly: upgrade cost Y to C SIN-LHR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting silly: upgrade cost Y to C SIN-LHR

Now I know its a bit luck of the draw when you ring but we are booked on on a SIN-LHR trip in Feb in Y unfortunately so thought i'd see how much to hop up to J one way..

S$3005 per adult and S$480 for a 3month old!. Baring in mind we purchased the fully flexible Y tickets at over S$2000 each that's pretty absurd and what possible reason is there to have to pay 480 dollars for an infant?!

SQ do make me laugh.

Empirically loads seem to be good SIN-LHR so it's presumably working well at the current fares for SQ.

Comment

Round trip business class is north of S$8,000. S$3000 to ug one-way seems in-line with that.

Comment

Infant fares are 10% of FULL fare tickets not 10% of your fare so the maths don't always match your adult fares. I have once bought my infant an entire seat when it was extremely discounted as it cost less than the infant fare...

Comment

It is silly, but there are obviosuly plenty of people out there willing to pay the silly C fares on this route.

Have you had a look at other airlines? Some example fares in Feb:

Etihad: S$4600
          Emirates: S$5800
          Qatar: S$5400
          Thai: S$4500
          Turkish S$5200

I love SQ's business but I would much rather fly C both ways with a different airline than one-way with SQ
          Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

Originally posted by pogonation View Post
            It is silly, but there are obviosuly plenty of people out there willing to pay the silly C fares on this route.

Have you had a look at other airlines? Some example fares in Feb:

Etihad: S$4600
            Emirates: S$5800
            Qatar: S$5400
            Thai: S$4500
            Turkish S$5200

I love SQ's business but I would much rather fly C both ways with a different airline than one-way with SQ
            But SIN-LHR-SIN on SQ is non stop.

What you have posted are one stop flights.

A more relevant comparison would be non stop C fares on BA & QF

In any case, company pays for most C class PAXs flying between SIN & LHR..

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
              But SIN-LHR-SIN on SQ is non stop.

What you have posted are one stop flights.

A more relevant comparison would be non stop C fares on BA & QF

In any case, company pays for most C class PAXs flying between SIN & LHR..
              I understand that these are one-stop flights. Rather than making a comparison I was making a suggestion. I don't think you will be able to get fares anywhere these prices non-stop. Just assumed that because the OP is flying as 'we' with a child they are paying out their own pocket and schedule isn't as important as the price.

I understand why most pax travelling for business purposes would choose to pay more for the non-stop.
              Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

pogonation, it is indeed out of the 225 family's pockets so buying a business class just is not feasible at over 16K dollars. I am very temped by thai but as this is the first trip back with little man thought it better to get it over with all at once instead of trying to do a pit stop.

The woman in the call center actually laughed when I repeated it back to her so everyone knows how comically over priced they are, however as said the routes are busy so they can continue to keep charging ridiculous prices while people still pay them.

Comment

Originally posted by 225 View Post
                  ....The woman in the call center actually laughed when I repeated it back to her so everyone knows how comically over priced they are, however as said the routes are busy so they can continue to keep charging ridiculous prices while people still pay them.
                  Market price is whatever people will pay for a product. If enough people will pay the prices, then the prices are fair.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                    Market price is whatever people will pay for a product. If enough people will pay the prices, then the prices are fair.
                    Tis true but no less annoying!

Comment

Yes but how many originate in SG?

The problem on the SIN-LHR flight is that it is mostly just a sector from someplace else, and more often than not on the kangaroo run. I would believe that as a sector from some other place it is much cheaper than originating in Singapore.

It is the same case as the flights posted by pogonation, we might pay less (as a percentage) for the SIN-LHR as a whole than the IST-LHR originating in Turkey.

Home Market prices are always screwed up, more so when there is only one home airline.

Comment

I rang Thai to check the prices and the price from the call centre is just over 5K per adult in J, I mentioned about the infant and was told that would cost over 1K. You can NOT book an infant on the Thai website so you have no choice but to pay the higher adult fare from the call centre apparently. So what looked like 9K suddenly becomes 11K...

Comment

My advice to you 225 will be to take the non-stop in Y and get the journey over with.

Transits are not much fun with kids in tow.

Especially a 3 month old!

Speaking from experience here.

Go shopping or stay somewhere nice with the money you save

Comment

Yeah pretty much resigned to the fact, that's why we booked SQ so its direct. Maybe I'll just do a cheeky points upgrade, i'm sure Mrs 225 won't mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by 225 View Post
                              Maybe I'll just do a cheeky points upgrade, i'm sure Mrs 225 won't mind.....
                              Beware that your infant fare will now become 10% of the full Biz fare and that will now set you back over $1K.

Comment

Working...
                              X