Money into Malaysia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money into Malaysia

Technically, not a Singapore-based question, but bear with me...
    Last time I went to Malaysia, I was told you are only allowed to bring 1000 MYR into the country.
    That was fine - though it did mean I needed to use a Maybank ATM a few times.

Now, I'm flying into Singapore next week, then a few days later, driving to Malaysia........does the 1000MYR still apply? Are there any checkpoints or something en route SIN-KUL via ROAD?
    It's all new to me...........
    Am I best off just using an ATM rather than risk it?
    If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

You can ask any question as this is not a country specific forum. , just an SQ aviation one...

MYR 1000 limit? That's news to me.

AFAI can remember, no checkpoints. Just watch out for cops trying to catch speeders. ATM at the various towns along the way, so no problem if you ever need cash.

Comment

well this suggests the limit I was subjected to on my last visit....
      http://www.malaysiatravel.org.uk/currency.html

similar wording to the malaysian customs site.
      I just wondered, as I'm flying MAN-SIN and my onward journey is overland, whether the limits still apply and if Changi customs would do anything about it.
      If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
        Last time I went to Malaysia, I was told you are only allowed to bring 1000 MYR into the country.
        You're right - exchange controls do or did exist, e.g.

http://www.melaka.net/currencylaw.htm
        http://www.bnm.gov.my/index.php?ch=138&tpl_id=11

However, I have a feeling that these exchange controls may have been abolished but I'm not sure (someone else can perhaps confirm). In any event, there is no requirement anymore to complete a Travellers Declaration Form on arrival.

Comment

It seems they do still exist -
          ran a currency request through my exchange - and it flagged that I was only allowed 1000 MYR.

But, I do wonder how this could be enforced -
          I'm flying into Singapore - no limits on foreign currency in/out exist.
          I arrive in Malaysia via car......so there is no TDF to be completed.....
          I suppose to save having to explain/run the risk of having to explain, I might as well only take 1000MYR and just get the rest from Maybank as and when I need it....... UK bank charges........

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post

I suppose to save having to explain/run the risk of having to explain, I might as well only take 1000MYR and just get the rest from Maybank as and when I need it....... UK bank charges........
            Honestly, I would not have bothered. G on, live a little. Assuming the website is correct (one can also check the M'sian Customs website), then it applies whether if you go into the country irrespective of the mode of travel. If you want to play safe, then take it out form the ATM. In the grand scheme of things, it's a 'smallish' amount unless you attempt to withdraw/transact a few times. Having said that, the bank charges and currency converion charges is enough to get yourself something nice in M'sia.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              In any event, there is no requirement anymore to complete a Travellers Declaration Form on arrival.
              There is, they have just reinstated them. I can't quite get my head around why they waved arrival forms not long ago and have now brought them back.

Comment

There is a limit on something like $30K singapore dollars into and out of Singapore. You must declare it though it isn't a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                  There is a limit on something like $30K singapore dollars into and out of Singapore. You must declare it though it isn't a problem.
                  Not a problem only if you have a legitimate explanation why you need to carry so much cash! The UK has a similar requirement for > EUR 10,000 of cash carried:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...E_PROD1_027380

Both the Singapore and UK requirements are meant to combat money laundering. The Malaysian requirement (assuming it still exists) is different - for currency control purposes, i.e. not allowing the Malaysian ringgit exchange rate to float freely.

Comment

basically it would not be a problem if one takes in more than 1k in ringgit as its almost never that the customs ever check unless one voluntarily tells them. But the main thing of the control is that supposedly not more than rm1,000 can be taken OUT of malaysia - but one can take the equivalent of not more than 10k ringgit in other currencies out (unless one declare that he have brought in more than 10k ringgit in equivalent of foreign currencies upon entering). But as mentioned travellers have never been asked abt currencies - unless of course they have inside info on one bringing out really huge amt of like a million or above out of the country in a briefcase.

Comment

You are going in by car....... the MY side rarely checks in such detail. On an odd occassion they may ask you to open a suitcase but more often than not the guys are sitting having coffee or reading the paper.

For all that's said about SG security, the same is virtually true but they WILL at least open the boot of your car 100%. They probably won't do anything else but at least they looked. I drove through last week and i have an estate car with a privacy cover..... the back was full of cases and shopping but the cover was pulled.

The last thing i put in the car was my son's pushchair, laid on its side. Opening the boot the customs only saw the privacy cover and the puschair, and maybe be the sight of a case but let me through. I had space for two humans that he would never have seen.

This is one year after i moved from KL to SG in the same car....when i did the move i sent most stuff by a removal company but the vital stuff was in my car. This included PC, clothes, golf clubs, the works. My whole car was full, including front seat and footwells. I had no visability out the back window for the trip. I even went through the Red channel just in case, and the guy simply waved me through.

The last thing you need to worry about is getting in a few thousnd more MYR!

As SQFAN says, keep a RM50 handy in the door pocket.......don't keep any more than RM200 in your wallet. If/when you get pulled over this will be your fine. I had to settle another RM50 on the last trip

Comment

Working...
                      X