No announcement yet.

When Did You First Fly Business Class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Did You First Fly Business Class?

I had my first taste of Business Class hardware when I was serving my mandatory 2.5 years in the army. A fellow unitmate and I were attached to the Officer Cadet School (OCS), where a cohort of cadets was on the way to Taiwan for the topography exercise.

The Singapore Armed Forces kindly chartered a China Airlines jet. While the officers-to-be all sat in Economy Class, their trainers and the bunch of us, all attached signallers, had the luxury of flying in Business Class. I was sitting in the upper deck of the Boeing 747. But service was next to nothing, since this was a non-commercial flight. After the trip, I heard from some of my outside friends they actually flew in the C-130 on overseas exercises.

As for my first commercial Buiness Class flight, it happened in May 2005, when a vendor invited me to Las Vegas for an event. The trip manifested itself as a Singapore Airlines Raffles Class experience on SQ20, operated with the Airbus 340-500.
    Last edited by The High Flyer; 6 August 2007, 09:01 AM.
    My Cafe Adventures
    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Gate op-up as a KrisFlyer Elite Silver to 20HK on the upperdeck SQ63 BKK-SIN on New Year's Day 2004. Still have the handwritten boarding pass.

I did fly a company-paid SIN-DEL-BOM-GOI-BOM-MAA-SIN on AI in C back in 2002, but that hardly compares with Raffles.

Comment

My first experience in Premium hardware was an F ride from TGG-SZB aboard an MH 737 in 1990. Domestic premium was sold as F then, and only later got renamed to C.

But to answer the question as best I can - it'd have to be 1993 MEL-KUL on an MH 744. Got an opup. I thought it was very cool that the seats were bigger, and I got food off a trolley service, and drinks in a nice glass.

Comment

My first J class trip? Well I've been on TG J from BKK-MEL but it was 99 so I cant remember much (I was small then). The first business class flight I can remember was on a UA 744 from ORD-HKG-SIN round trip in June of 02'. The hardware was aged and the movie screen was tiny with no AVOD. The service varied from pretty good to complete rubbish and the food was pretty much just OK. I remember the desserts were some cheap Eli's cake. But at least the seat was comfy enough for decent sleep. But at least it was Business and not the infamous B744 UA Y. I remember going to the red carpet club in O'Hare and ordering iced chocolate (I'm not exactly drinking age or want to become an avid drinker ) and eating a few random nibbles. So, yeah thats it. My next and only J class flight after that was SQ from SFO-HKG-SIN round trip on SQ1 in 04' in the spacebed. It was my first lie-flat bed seat so I was pretty excited and I played around with it a lot with all the reclining positions. Service was SQ usual and everything was great!
        Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          But to answer the question as best I can - it'd have to be 1993 MEL-KUL on an MH 744. Got an opup. I thought it was very cool that the seats were bigger, and I got food off a trolley service, and drinks in a nice glass.
          Were Economy meals not served off the trolley then? These days, I only get non-trolley service when I fly in SilkAir Business Class and United Domestic First.
          My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
            Were Economy meals not served off the trolley then? These days, I only get non-trolley service when I fly in SilkAir Business Class and United Domestic First.
            No, even back then Y meals came already pre dished on a casserole, at least that's the way it was on MH.

Comment

Back in the mid-90's when SIN-PEN-SIN was flown on A310s, Business class on that route was called 'C-Class'. Don't remember the exact date but sometime in '96, that was my 1st SQ biz experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                No, even back then Y meals came already pre dished on a casserole, at least that's the way it was on MH.
                In Singapore, it's difficult to find the traditional trolley service when you visit a dim sum restaurant these days. Most restaurant now serve food pre-dished. Seems the airline catering industry is going the other way?
                My Cafe Adventures

Comment

On AA, ORD-NRT (and return) as part of a trade delegation.

Comment

My first Business Class flight were in 1994 on SQ, LAX-TPE-SIN SQ005.
                    My sister and I were studying in Los Angeles. Economy was fully booked and my parents wanted us to return home for the holidays.
                    A very memorable experience.

Comment

I do not really remember my first time. It's on JL (HKG-NRT-LAX return) and was also actually my very first flight. I was only 3 then.

My first SQ JCL experience was April 2006 MEL-SIN-HKG return, on both Spacebeds and regional configs. Ab fab experience!
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 6 August 2007, 02:31 PM.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

First Business Class experience was SQ LHR-SIN-SYD for honeymoon in May 2005 - mrs nickbot and I almost looked forward to that more than the wedding Raffles, upper deck 744, mileage upgrade (had to fly back in Y though!!). Fantastic experience, and Dom from the F cabin all the way

First *ever* time in premium cabin was a strange one,...1992 I think, flying QF back from MEL to MAN via BKK and LHR in Y (99% of pax deplaned at LHR, leaving me pretty much alone for the final LHR-MAN segment) - I noticed that First was empty and asked the FA if I could upgrade myself for the final short trip She said that would be fine, but that she'd still get my meal from Y. Had a very pleasant (albeit short) hop in the front cabin of the 747 - can't remember much about it apart from playing with the electric recline features of the seat and looking out of the window
                        Last edited by nickbot; 6 August 2007, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                          I noticed that First was empty and asked the FA if I could upgrade myself for the final short trip She said that would be fine, but that she'd still get my meals from Y.
                          That was great, nickbot! In future, if I fly SQ28, can I request to be upgraded to F when everyone has deplaned in TPE? OK, that would be a long call. How about the HKG-SIN leg of SQ1 then? Reasonable?
                          My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
                            That was great, nickbot! In future, if I fly SQ28, can I request to be upgraded to F when everyone has deplaned in TPE? OK, that would be a long call. How about the HKG-SIN leg of SQ1 then? Reasonable?
                            I think you need the nickbot touch Doubt it would ever work for me again, but I certainly wasn't afraid to ask, and on that occasion it certainly paid dividends Wish I'd have taken pics at the time

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                              I think you need the nickbot touch Doubt it would ever work for me again, but I certainly wasn't afraid to ask, and on that occasion it certainly paid dividends
                              You certainly aren't afraid to do other things as well, nickbot! OK, just kidding!
                              My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Working...
                              X