Bad experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad experience

No such thread has yet been opened and I would never have imagined to open one until last week. It can help in the future those who want to share their poor experience on SQ though rare.

I flew SQ from SIN to IST on economy Y. It was my worst experience with SQ, with poor service and attitude from the crew, especially one of the male supervisors.

First, the crew served the meal without the drinks. Despite saying that the drinks would come soon, they only came after the dessert. A person next to me in her thirties ordered a Singapore Sling. One of the male supervisors (very rude) asked the passenger: "How old are you?" despite the fact that it was obvious the person was over 18. You could simply see that the only goal of the supervisor was to finish the meal service and turn off the lights. If he really wanted to make sure that that person was not a kid (of course it was obvious), he could check it in the system instead of asking the age of the pax. The fact that this is a night flight gives no excuse to such service.

I ordered wine from that same person, very rude to me too, and it came alongside my tea!!! I told the crew: "Really? You think it goes well with the tea?" and her answer was: "Yes, of course". I simply took it and tasted for the first time wine with tea, an original mix I have to say. Luckily one of the female crews was very friendly and smiling, sweetening the whole experience. I never experienced such a poor experience with SQ previously, especially such a rude crew. The rest of the flight was acceptable but it seemed that the usual SQ friendliness wasn't there.

I so far always praised SQ's service and sadly have to do the opposite this time. I hope this was an exception. Surely, SIN-IST route will need to be audited to avoid this kind of poor service and attitude from repeating.

Originally posted by r123 View Post
    No such thread has yet been opened and I would never have imagined to open one until last week. It can help in the future those who want to share their poor experience on SQ though rare.

I flew SQ from SIN to IST on economy Y. It was my worst experience with SQ, with poor service and attitude from the crew, especially one of the male supervisors.

First, the crew served the meal without the drinks. Despite saying that the drinks would come soon, they only came after the dessert. A person next to me in her thirties ordered a Singapore Sling. One of the male supervisors (very rude) asked the passenger: "How old are you?" despite the fact that it was obvious the person was over 18. You could simply see that the only goal of the supervisor was to finish the meal service and turn off the lights. If he really wanted to make sure that that person was not a kid (of course it was obvious), he could check it in the system instead of asking the age of the pax. The fact that this is a night flight gives no excuse to such service.

I ordered wine from that same person, very rude to me too, and it came alongside my tea!!! I told the crew: "Really? You think it goes well with the tea?" and her answer was: "Yes, of course". I simply took it and tasted for the first time wine with tea, an original mix I have to say. Luckily one of the female crews was very friendly and smiling, sweetening the whole experience. I never experienced such a poor experience with SQ previously, especially such a rude crew. The rest of the flight was acceptable but it seemed that the usual SQ friendliness wasn't there.

I so far always praised SQ's service and sadly have to do the opposite this time. I hope this was an exception. Surely, SIN-IST route will need to be audited to avoid this kind of poor service and attitude from repeating.
    Wow, so sorry to hear about that! That's really bad service, and any issues I've ever had with SQ don't even come close.

I really think you should write to SQ because there is no way management would think serving drinks after the meal is acceptable, nor is rude staff.

In terms of IST though, the route isn't a priority to them. It's the longest flight they still assign an old 772 to. Given the awful plane, good service to improve the experience is even more critical though, and that's not dependent on the age of the plane.

Comment

You should have told the male crew off there and then. That's what I did once when a LSS claimed that "we won't compensate passengers if the IFE is spoilt".

Comment

I have had this happen to me on an SQ flight and asked to produce my ID in public.
        I look young but definitely don't look under 18. Totally embarrassing for the pax and unnecessary,
        But what I would like to know as OP suggested, does the manifest have pax details like age?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          Wow, so sorry to hear about that! That's really bad service, and any issues I've ever had with SQ don't even come close.

I really think you should write to SQ because there is no way management would think serving drinks after the meal is acceptable, nor is rude staff.

In terms of IST though, the route isn't a priority to them. It's the longest flight they still assign an old 772 to. Given the awful plane, good service to improve the experience is even more critical though, and that's not dependent on the age of the plane.

Yeah you are right! I'm not used to complain for small flaws but that really wasn't acceptable, especially that I paid for a Y ticket and expect a service worth of what I paid for.

IST is not a priority service wise, there isn't any competition for the route since they codeshare with TK. That's still not an excuse and as you say well, they need to have an even better service given the outdatedness of the cabin.

Serving drinks after the meal has never been an SQ standard indeed neither has rudeness been. Actually the supervisor was rude, the rest of the crew was simply not smiling apart from one.

Comment

Originally posted by 76er View Post
            I have had this happen to me on an SQ flight and asked to produce my ID in public.
            I look young but definitely don't look under 18. Totally embarrassing for the pax and unnecessary,
            But what I would like to know as OP suggested, does the manifest have pax details like age?
            I only know that this was common on US flights, asking pax for ID isn't common with SQ. This is unnecessary too but you will always find a few people who want to use little power they have for the sake of doing so. Anyway serving to an under 18 would not be an issue, selling would be.

I am sure that they would never ask an id for a glass of wine but it seems they want to discourage people from drinking things that take them time to make...

Yes, crews can access the pax details on print or on screen; usually airlines use SITA systems.

Comment

You should definitely provide feedback on SQ on this flight if you felt the service was unsatisfactory. If a specific crew member was very rude, it might be worthwhile to provide that feedback directly on the flight itself, either verbally to another crew member or the IFS (Are they known as IFMs - Inflight Managers now?), or by asking for a feedback form. Just by asking for a feedback form, the cabin crew will usually come and ask if anything is wrong or unsatisfactory.

First, the crew served the meal without the drinks. Despite saying that the drinks would come soon, they only came after the dessert.
              When you say the crew served the meal without drinks, do you mean they passed out the Y meal trays and did a full round of meal service with no beverages at all (Which seems very odd), or did they at least give out soft drinks, beer wine, and only asked to come back later for drinks that need to be prepared separately, like cocktails or Singapore Slings?

One of the male supervisors (very rude)
              Do you mean the IFS / IFM, or just one of the leading cabin crew? The reason I ask is that if it is the IFM / IFS you are referring to, he/she very rarely works the Y cabin. I've almost never seen the IFS/IFM in Y on my flights, and on the one occasion I saw an IFS making the rounds in Y, it was in the rear of an A380 Y cabin, and on that flight, the service was exceptional.
              Last edited by yflyer; 28 December 2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I am puzzled.

Meals and drinks are on the same cart.It would take less than 15 seconds to serve a drink after the meal tray and why wouldn't the crew do so? Unless a passenger is asking for something that's not on the cart then the crew would have to go back to the galley for it. Given that every Y passenger would want their meals on time, it's expected to have some delays for something that is not on the cart. I used to ask for green tea during meal time and often it arrived after i was done with the meal. That's OK to me. If I had ordered for green tea and Singapore Sling during meal time, then both might arrive at the same time. Having that said, the crew should be mindful on the communication part too.

It is festive period now. SQ is short of crews?
                Last edited by SQ_326; 28 December 2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I think that is crew-dependent. Normally I will request a feedback form to feedback the situation.

Comment

I'm jumping in on the issue of less than satisfactory service of drinks on the flight.

I was on SQ861 HKG-SIN just this week flying in PEY. It was a completely full cabin and as I understand it the situation was the same in Y.

The welcome drinks were served after take off while I happened to have stepped away to use the lavatory. On my way back to my seat, I noticed that they were still handing out the drinks but were currently serving the row just behind me. I'd have thought the stewardess would come back to me to offer the drink, but lo and behold, she did not. As I wasn't keen on drinking anything at that point, I did not pursue the matter, but I was somewhat surprised and disappointed at her lack of proactive-ness and/or situational awareness.

The BTC meal I ordered was served quite promptly. However, I was not offered a drink at that point. As I understand, this is a common experience in order to speed up the meal service by distributing drinks to all PEY (and Y?) pax at the same time when the meal cart comes around. Again, I did not kick up a fuss since I was not thirsty and there was already a pack of water on my tray should I feel parched in that span of time. This would've been around the 1 hour mark after take off.

Approximately 20 minutes later, the meal carts came around for the other PEY pax, while I was almost done with my appetiser and main dish (and yes, I took my time to eat as I was waiting for the drinks to come around). However, as they were serving the meals to my neighbours, no one stopped to ask me if I needed a drink. At that point, either I was too engrossed with the movie or the food, it slipped my mind to inform them that they had one unloved pax in PEY (i.e. me). Only upon the clearing of my meal tray (this was almost at the 2 hour mark of the flight) did I get the opportunity to get hold of a stewardess to bring me a drink. At this juncture, I'd say I was downright annoyed at the ignorance on display by the crew in charge of this section of PEY.

Again, I'm not one to kick up a fuss with the crew who may (understandably) be under pressure to serve a full flight, but clearly, SQ's service lapses here are glaring.

[Edit: TLDR - I wasn’t served a drink with my meal despite others around me having been served one; none of the meal service crew stopped to ask if I needed a drink until I brought it to their attention. Expectations were not met.]
                    Last edited by 9V-SML; 29 December 2017, 06:07 PM.

Comment

What on earth is the issue here? If you’re unhappy with something, deal with it on the flight. No point coming here and bleating. If you wanted a drink, just press the call button at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
                        I'm jumping in on the issue of less than satisfactory service of drinks on the flight.

I was on SQ861 HKG-SIN just this week flying in PEY. It was a completely full cabin and as I understand it the situation was the same in Y.

The welcome drinks were served after take off while I happened to have stepped away to use the lavatory. On my way back to my seat, I noticed that they were still handing out the drinks but were currently serving the row just behind me. I'd have thought the stewardess would come back to me to offer the drink, but lo and behold, she did not. As I wasn't keen on drinking anything at that point, I did not pursue the matter, but I was somewhat surprised and disappointed at her lack of proactive-ness and/or situational awareness.

The BTC meal I ordered was served quite promptly. However, I was not offered a drink at that point. As I understand, this is a common experience in order to speed up the meal service by distributing drinks to all PEY (and Y?) pax at the same time when the meal cart comes around. Again, I did not kick up a fuss since I was not thirsty and there was already a pack of water on my tray should I feel parched in that span of time. This would've been around the 1 hour mark after take off.

Approximately 20 minutes later, the meal carts came around for the other PEY pax, while I was almost done with my appetiser and main dish (and yes, I took my time to eat as I was waiting for the drinks to come around). However, as they were serving the meals to my neighbours, no one stopped to ask me if I needed a drink. At that point, either I was too engrossed with the movie or the food, it slipped my mind to inform them that they had one unloved pax in PEY (i.e. me). Only upon the clearing of my meal tray (this was almost at the 2 hour mark of the flight) did I get the opportunity to get hold of a stewardess to bring me a drink. At this juncture, I'd say I was downright annoyed at the ignorance on display by the crew in charge of this section of PEY.

Again, I'm not one to kick up a fuss with the crew who may (understandably) be under pressure to serve a full flight, but clearly, SQ's service lapses here are glaring.
                        In Y class, a round of drinks will be served shortly after lift off. If someone missed it for whatever reason then it is unlikely the crew in-charge of that aisle will return back for the same again. Would it be different in PY? I doubt so. Yes, the sexy P is there but nonetheless it is very much a Y product albeit 0.5 to 1" wider and 6" longer. In J, they will fill up before you ask for it and in Y, please press the button. So where is PY? Well the meals in PY are almost the same as Y and why would meal/drink services not a Y?

I think it is expectations rather than SQ....

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post

So on two occasions you weren’t thirsty and on the third you were preoccupied and it “slipped your mind to ask”. But now it’s an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
                            So on two occasions you weren’t thirsty and on the third you were preoccupied and it “slipped your mind to ask”. But now it’s an issue?
                            Didn’t mean to sound like I’m talking out of my arse . What I wanted was something to wash down the meal with. It’s too dry without a drink!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
                              In Y class, a round of drinks will be served shortly after lift off. If someone missed it for whatever reason then it is unlikely the crew in-charge of that aisle will return back for the same again. Would it be different in PY? I doubt so. Yes, the sexy P is there but nonetheless it is very much a Y product albeit 0.5 to 1" wider and 6" longer. In J, they will fill up before you ask for it and in Y, please press the button. So where is PY? Well the meals in PY are almost the same as Y and why would meal/drink services not a Y?

I think it is expectations rather than SQ....
                              You’re probably right there. But I’ve definitely got better service than this on other Y flights on SQ, on average. Just as an example, when I asked for water on a recent Y flight (SIN-ICN), I got a bottle from the crew. On this PEY flight, however, I received a packet of water similar to the one from the meal trays. Maybe this is due to the short duration of the flight?

Comment

Working...
                              X