Why I couldn't be an FA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I couldn't be an FA

Scene: last night, on BA821 from CPH to LHR. FAs are taking the dinner trays back in Club Europe, tray by tray. One FA has taken my tray and my seatmate's and is following a colleague who has a tray in one hand and who stops to ask a passenger if the pax had already finished eating. Passenger decides to have a little chat so the FA obliges, pausing with one hand holding one tray and the other beginning to reach for the chatty passenger's tray, while holding a conversation. Meanwhile, the second FA tiptoes around his colleague to get to the galley with his two trays. All this, while the plane is going through some mild turbulence that has triggered the "fasten seat belts" sign. Not a crumb dropped, not a single tray seemed in danger of spilling its contents onto a passenger.

With my sense of (im)balance, had I been an FA, I would've had a hefty drycleaning bill to pay on behalf of passengers around me.

I commended the FA when he returned with my Baileys (got me two instead of just one), and he just chuckled. "I'm usually less unsteady than this. I usually don't develop a case of 'air legs'."

Full flight, but a really enjoyable one, thanks to the FAs who seemed to enjoy what they were doing.

(P.S. The second reason I couldn't be an FA, is that I'd find quite a few of the passengers to be self-important boors I'd rather not force a smile for. )
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Missed you by a few hours in CPH then. I came in on SQ352 and went out on the first SK to MAN. I do like CPH, one of my favourite European airports.

Back to the topic. I would imagine it was fun years ago being an FA, but not so much now. Mainly for the reason you mention.

God help me when some of those idiots are allowed to use phones on board.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

God help me when some of those idiots are allowed to use phones on board.
      You ought to go to China and fly domestically. it's 20 x worse.

Comment

You ought to go to China and fly domestically. it's 20 x worse.
        Mmmm, yes! Reminds me of HU PEK-KMG in Y which I took this year when the cabin crew held an auction during the flight! My Mandarin is cr*p so I had no idea what everyone was getting all excited about. It sold for about £80 whatever it was.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          (P.S. The second reason I couldn't be an FA, is that I'd find quite a few of the passengers to be self-important boors I'd rather not force a smile for. )
          You won't be required to smile at all if you pick a US carrier to work for.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I've always entertained being an FA, but then I'd probably get fired for a few reasons:

1) Drinking all the Dom onboard instead of distributing it to the F passengers.
            2) Checking out and flirting with the cute SQ girls.
            3) Sneaking into the lounges. (Seriously, who goes to an airport and bypass the lounges? I sure don't.)

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              No doubt about that

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                You wouldn't be required to work much either

Comment

Working...
                X