No announcement yet.

'Single Standard': from Europe to Asia on BT/SK C, QR & SQ J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There should be just a small delay in continuing this as I thought I could walk half of Singapore in one go y'day, so I went out of the Shangri-La at 3pm for my usual fast walk/run. Result was that I came back after 3 hrs only to find out later in the evening I had got a mini heat stroke...
    Last edited by N_Architect; 29 June 2010, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
      I had got a mini heat stroke...
      Yikes! Get well soon!

Comment

Thank you...

Comment

I thought I could walk half of Singapore in one go y'day, so I went out of the Shangri-La at 3pm for my usual fast walk/run. Result was that I came back after 3 hrs only to find out later in the evening I had got a mini heat stroke...
          Oh no! Poor N_Architect

The heat factor in Singapore has really gone up over the years thanks to global warming and all the forest fires south of the border. Gone are the days I remember in the early 80s when it used to actually be cool in the mornings and I enjoyed power walking from Tanglin all the way down Orchard Rd and back.

Even seven years ago, I could walk up and down Scotts or Orchard without feeling like I need to rehydrate along the way. There's also more cars and people nowadays on the streets these days.
          Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Poor N_Architect! Get well soon!

Me thinks you should get a nice Singapore girl to mop your brows and feed you ice-kachang.

Agree with B727 about the weather in Singapore. I used to be able to walk from lower River Valley Road to Killiney and Orchard. That was in the early 1990s. When I'm back home these days, I just stay in the house and rest with the dog, fans on full blast. It's too hot to do anything. I can't eat much in the heat either.

Comment

Thank you B727 and phaleesy

S'porean girls are beautiful indeed, actually

Comment

Thank you B727 and phaleesy

S'porean girls are beautiful indeed, actually
                wait till you see them sans makeup.....

did you go swimming along Orchard Road this morning??

see you this Friday...
                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Don't know about the make up but generally Asian girls are beautiful and apparently S'porean girls seem to look after themselves pretty well.

Went by Orchard Rd. around lunch, the cars were still laying around after the accident that had happened there earlier.

Glad you can make it this Friday...

Comment

stunning pictures as usual Excellent TR

Comment

Thank you so much SQFG, been too busy this week to get down to write more, will get on it soonest though.

Comment

N_Architect, sorry I'll miss you this time around! Hopefully on the next visit!
                        blog

Comment

Originally posted by haf View Post
                          N_Architect, sorry I'll miss you this time around! Hopefully on the next visit!
                          +1 Hope you're feeling much better after all the heat and flooding. Have a great time at the LD/mini DO
                          Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

This trip report resumes here.

We are at the very beginning of my journey, having just arrived in Athens, Greece (ATH) from Riga, Latvia (RIX). Original destination is in Asia, of course. One week in Shanghai and another in Singapore. Then back to Athens for a week.

My stay in Athens on the way to Asia is short, about 28 hours. As I intend to enjoy the whole process, making three successive flights does not sound appealing. If you do not enjoy what you do, it is much better you do not do it in the first place, if possible. This is what I believe. In addition, by having this short stopover I get to see the family a bit, take a rest before jumping on the QR birds on the way to the Far East. This time, though, there was a reason for which the stopover became even more important: my godfather had been diagnosed with cancer some years back; after an operation and chemotherapy, he had managed to stay healthy for some years. At the beginning of this year though, he started feeling worse again. The thing had spread, and there was not very much that could be done. A week before me coming to ATH, doctors were giving him few weeks of life.

I manage to sit next to him for an hour or so for a chat and also to give him a small present he always wanted – a pocket watch, engraved with my and his initials, following his request some weeks back. For sure he knows what lies ahead. His state is not good at all, barely being able to move, stand or eat. A rapid deterioration compared to when I had spoken to him on the phone few weeks back. Few bottles of Armani EdT, 4711 and Brut 33 in a ‘brand new’ state are displayed as deco items on top of the draws next to his bed. He used to collect bottles of everything, boxes of matches, perfumes, alcoholic spirits. He loved vintage items as well. In Greece we have a saying that the godchild always ‘takes’ something after his/her godfather/mother, a character trait. I believe in that, and from what I have seen, my godchild has also taken few of my traits. It may sound hard to believe, but it is true. There is some form of ‘connection’ established when you baptize a child.

Anyway, let us move on. My godfather eventually passed away less than a week later, 64 years old. Naturally he took none of his beloved collection items with him. Life is short, very short indeed – we come with nothing and leave in just the same way. That is why I have said it before and I will say it again: it must be enjoyed to its fullest, with no remorse or regrets. Every passion, every obsession, every desire (as long as it does not interfere with other people’s freedoms) must be pursued mercilessly.

The QR A320-200 in ATH getting ready to take us to DOH on a warm Saturday afternoon.
                            Last edited by N_Architect; 29 June 2010, 06:20 AM. Reason: Added short text.

Comment

Flying C or J, I seldom go to the airport early. I do not usually like spending time in the lounge. Either spend time at home, or do some shopping; sitting in the lounge is too boring (unless you’re too tired or on a business trip). This time I arrived at Athens International Airport ‘Eleftherios Venizelos’ about an hour before the departure of my QR flight. I find one check-in desk open, the ‘Business Class’ one, plus the female station manager who was also alongside. I am the third passenger waiting in line. The girl getting checked-in, I suppose she’s in Y, is 8 kg in excess of the 20kg check-in limit. She gets away with the 4kg, but is asked to pay Eur 160 for the other 4kg. The whole things takes time. After something more than 15 minutes, I do manage to get checked-in. A minute’s or two job, since I had already checked in earlier on through the web and also printed my boarding pass.

Overall impression is that this is the first time this happens to me with QR (but wait till you see what happened in Changi on the way back…) and that it could be better, to be honest. In any case, no worries, I proceed to immigration and into the duty free zone, with less than half an hour from scheduled departure time. Station manager had already informed me during check-in that it would be hard for them to allow me spend time in the lounge, as time for boarding was approaching.

I tour the duty frees a bit, mind you that ATH has pretty good prices; perfumes were few quid less compared to DOH DFS, for example. Anticipating I may get a wider selection in DOH, I pass. Having got the ‘shaving/grooming goodies addiction in the last 6 months, this time it was the ‘perfumes’ section of my den that had to be considerably reinforced. The after shave lotion or balm can be used after one shaves, which is not every day for me. The perfume, however, can be used every day. But which items were to be purchased and added to my daily rotation?

A shot at the boarding gate for our ATH-DOH flight that evening.

Prior to boarding the aircraft in ATH, the gate announcement says “J class passengers may board at their convenience”. The reality: neither of the two available lines at the gate is dedicated to J or silver/gold Privilege Club pax. I wait. Let the masses get in, they think that if they board 20 seconds faster they will probably arrive in DOH an hour or so earlier… Sure, go ahead.

Connection time in DOH was just over an hour. Piece of cake, I’ve done it before. QR seems to operate this with many flights from Europe connecting to other flights bound for Asia. I am in 2F, stbd side window (middle row, as there are three J class rows on that QR bird) and take no pictures throughout the flight. This is where I cease to seize opportunities, where I do not live life to its fullest. No images captured, no memories conveyed to all of you. Too lazy, too bad. More opportunities will come in this or in future travels, but why miss this one?

On my left, a doctor, psychiatrist. He’s from Greece, flying to a medical convention in Hong Kong with about three or four of his fellow colleagues (few of them having their wives with them). They are all in J, most of the cabin being full this evening. Noisy (considering their age), not that mindful to other passengers and generally conducting themselves as if they are in the living room of their own villa. One of them, sitting with his [‘xcuse the phrase] cow body type resembling wife, dares to take his shoes off and stretches his legs straightening them out forward and up diagonally, to the back of the front seat’s headrest. How polite! And naturally a photo opportunity missed, simply because I had left my camera up in the overhead compartment…

ATH-DOH is a 4 to 4 ½ hour flight. Choice of hot or cold towels on departure, nice indeed. Meal service prep starts right after we take off from ATH. I did eat this time (my health is fine now) but did not take menu details for you. In summary it was either Greek meze or something else for starter and fish, chicken with saffron rice, Greek mousaka or beef for main if I remember correctly. I went for the chicken. The Greek meze was really nice, while the rest nothing so special. Dessert followed, some kind of mocha type mousse fairly light and nice in taste but not very inspiring. Green tea with honey completed the meal for me, naturally assorted by the classic small Godiva box containing two lovely chocolates. Having been long-haul grounded for almost 9 months, the flight went by (as expected) pretty fast.

I tried to let myself fall asleep for some time, however this proved to be a rather hard task with the ‘doctors’ being very and loudly talkative. I am surprised how the remaining three pax managed to go through their flight without any express of annoyance or discomfort. We had left ATH at 19:30, and were to land in DOH about 30 minutes earlier than scheduled, just before midnight. The new, modern and quite flashy glass buildings in Doha’s Finance Center district were nicely lit and the final approach to landing view from seat 2F was beautiful. A normal landing, then taxiing to the terminal with 33 deg. C outside (remember, it is early June and close to midnight in Doha). We disembark the aircraft and take the transfer bus to the exit gates or to the Premium Terminal (PT) for those who have a connecting flight. Upon arrival in DOH, QR J class pax disembark from the front of the aircraft while Y pax disembark only from the rear. This is a nice touch indeed.

Comment

So sorry to hear of your loss.

But words of wisdom indeed...

Life is short, live to the fullest with no regrets, avoid successive flights!

Looking forward to rest of TR.. especially your flight on QR... I really should try other airlines

Comment

Working...
                                X