X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAX Airport Guide

http://www.lawa.org/lax/airportInfo.cfm
    Originally posted by LAX

Last edited by AndrewSQ011; 9 January 2007, 12:55 PM.
    "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Lived in the same metro as LAX in the past for many years, so I'll chip in with several tips on managing this war-zone.

International to Internation flight connections: No such thing as an airside International to International flight connection at LAX. For example, I am arriving from SQ12 and connecting to a same day LH flight. Both SQ and LH operates out of the TBIT. Can I remain airside in the terminal by just walking from the SQ gate to the LH gate? No can do. You must clear immigration on the lower level, climb back up to the departure, go through security and re-enter the airside gates at the departure level. Same exact procedure in the scenario of connecting from a NZ flight to a Canadian bound AC flight at T2. A true PITA but again it's no other than Uncle Sam himself that has created this PITA.

Curbside Colour Markings: Upon arrival after exit from terminal and you need to catch buses, shuttles, etc. you will need to cross the vehicle lane designed for taxis and drop-offs and wait over at a curb island. There, there are several colours that you will need to pay attention to as they will dictate where you should be standing to board.
    • Blue: Intra-terminal buses and buses to long term parking lots operated by the airport (LAWA)
    • Green: Flyaway Buses (to downtown LA) and vans to far distances
    • Red: Shuttles to Hotels and Private Long Term Parking Lots
    • Purple: Shuttles to Rental Car locations
    • Orange: Shared Ride Shuttles

Not the best location: LAX, unfortunately is located near some of LA's worst crime riddled neighborhood especially those areas east of the airport such as Inglewood, South Central, Watts, etc. If you are a first time visitor or one who is unfamiliar and plans on driving after arrival, please do not venture east on Century Blvd past the 405 freeway and continue further east. If you do need to head east directly, please follow the Sepulveda Blvd South exit and merge into the 105 freeway east. At least you're driving on the freeway....away from where all those gangland activities take place on the street. With the exception of merging to the 405 or 110 freeway, do not take any exits into side streets until you have passed the 710 (aka Long Beach Frwy).

Sepulveda Blvd Tunnel: Whatever you do, this is not a pedestrian designed walkway tunnel. It is a high speed vehicle passage tunnel that runs directly under the southern runways and not long ago, someone was killed trying to walk it.
    My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys but i had to learn LAX the hard way. For some reason my flight from YVR - LAX I was not able to get my luggage transferred automatically to my flight from LAX - TPE - SIN. I had to carry all my cargo and carryon from Canadian Terminal to Bradly International Terminal. Plus there were no carts and no elevator. So Travellers from Canada BEWARE.

Comment

December 9, 2007

Looking better now! Hope the Encounters will open soon.

Comment

"Not the best location: LAX, unfortunately is located near some of LA's worst crime riddled neighborhood especially those areas east of the airport such as Inglewood, South Central, Watts, etc. If you are a first time visitor or one who is unfamiliar and plans on driving after arrival, please do not venture east on Century Blvd past the 405 freeway and continue further east. If you do need to head east directly, please follow the Sepulveda Blvd South exit and merge into the 105 freeway east. At least you're driving on the freeway....away from where all those gangland activities take place on the street. With the exception of merging to the 405 or 110 freeway, do not take any exits into side streets until you have passed the 710 (aka Long Beach Frwy)."

Yes, you have to be careful on the city streets of the areas mentioned above. However, north of the LAX, Santa Monica is ok and south of LAX the city of El Segundo is a nice city.

Re: Inglewood, Jerry West, the famous basketball player, was mugged years ago on the way to work at the Forum in the morning and his championship ring was stolen. Talk about bad karma, mugging Jerry West....not nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rejuvenated View Post
            International to Internation flight connections: No such thing as an airside International to International flight connection at LAX. For example, I am arriving from SQ12 and connecting to a same day LH flight. Both SQ and LH operates out of the TBIT. Can I remain airside in the terminal by just walking from the SQ gate to the LH gate? No can do. You must clear immigration on the lower level, climb back up to the departure, go through security and re-enter the airside gates at the departure level. Same exact procedure in the scenario of connecting from a NZ flight to a Canadian bound AC flight at T2. A true PITA but again it's no other than Uncle Sam himself that has created this PITA.

Can someone let me know the minimum connecting time at LAX, please?

Since I have to clear immigration upon interantional arrival at LAX for an onward international flight to Canada, I assume immigration queues at LAX can get quite horrendous. Any ideas of times?

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post

Since I have to clear immigration upon interantional arrival at LAX for an onward international flight to Canada, I assume immigration queues at LAX can get quite horrendous. Any ideas of times?
              It really depends. From the number of times that I have flown LAX, I have cleared it as fast as about 20 minutes before or as long as 45 minutes. The time that you arrive(ie whether a lot of flights happen to touch down around the same time) or whether they open up more lanes and even if they allow you to use the US citizens lanes affects the time.

I must say that the baggage system is really bad there and you probably still have to wait a fair bit after clearing immigrations. In all, I would say give about 1.5 hours to clear everything. The condition at LAX airport is pretty horrendous and chaotic if you ask me

Comment

Thanks Zander...

I am looking at a 1930hrs LAX arrival and departure of 2055hrs. Looks like it's going to be tight. Alas, no NZ business class for me to try.

Comment

MCT (minimum connection time) varies by airline arriving and departing on, type of aircraft, etc. Eg some UA MCTs are under an hour yet AC->NZ is 3 hours (which is bloody ridiculous as you can connect airside in that case).

Comment

Thanks Zander...

I am looking at a 1930hrs LAX arrival and departure of 2055hrs. Looks like it's going to be tight. Alas, no NZ business class for me to try.
                    No way is 1:25 NZ->AC (or is it UA?) connection at LAX legal, so I guess you are on separate tickets.

I guess you are arriving on NZ1 from LHR. Even though you are transitting to another international flight, everyone must clear immigration and customs at T2.

Immigration for non-americans takes a long time at T2, but not as bad in the evening as in the middle of the day. Still, it can take an hour to clear immigration and customs.

If onward flight is AC then just go up the escalator to the right of the entrance on arrivals level. AC check in is just in front of you inside the terminal, or if no bags to redeposit & already have BP just go to security on the right. Security usually takes 15 minutes at this time of night, but can take more than 30 minutes depending on how many screening stations are open.

If onward flight is UA then stay on the arrivals level, turn left and take the crossing in front of Encounters. Walk past the carpark building and over the road on the other side. This takes you directly to UA terminal, but you will need to then go up one level for departures.

Comment

Thanks for the info, kiwi.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                        No way is 1:25 NZ->AC (or is it UA?) connection at LAX legal, so I guess you are on separate tickets.
                        1 hour 25 minutes is an illegal connection at LAX for sure. The easiest way to check is by building an itinerary LHR to YVR via LAX. NZ1 will connect to AC flight the next early morning. VS flight which arrives an hour earlier is listed and able to connect to the last AC flight to YVR.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                          1 hour 25 minutes is an illegal connection at LAX for sure.
                          Agreed. Looks like SQFAN is going to have an interesting evening...
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            Agreed. Looks like SQFAN is going to have an interesting evening...
                            Not if he can help it.

Thanks all for sharing.

Comment

I hope you are not flying today/tomorrow. GWB's visit to LHR is expected to delay flights by hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X