Jogging/Cycling along Changi Coast Road and Tanah Merah Coast Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Durian View Post
    A few sundays ago, as I was not sure on how far it is, I rented a bicycle on EC park, only for 2 hours to go around the airport (I thought !)... did not realize how far the airport is and how long Changi Coast rd !
    So I could not even reach Changi Beach as I had to return the bicyle
    But on the way I still could see landings especially around this place called the Belly View Cafe, very inspired name
    a few months ago I tried cycling there too. Parked at the new McD and cycled all the way till Changi Airport. Took quite a while but it was worth it. Able to take photos of of planes with my phone.

It was especially exhilarating when cycling along Changi Coast Rd to planes landing and taking off. Felt like Maverick from "Top Gun" when he reached Miramar and riding parallel to the runway.

Of course, I had forgotten that East Coast Park's carpark requires parking coupon even on Sundays and came back to a $30 parking fine.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
      Glad you made it to East Coast Park, Durian!

From the East Coast Seafood Centre (i.e. next to the the Cable Ski), it is about 5.5 km to Belly View Cafe at the NSRCC Sailing Centre, which is right under the approach to runway 02C, so that is a great place for plane spotting.

Another 1.5km further, and you would have hit the start of Changi Coastal Road, parallel to runway 02C.

Yes, good to try it out by bike first. There are many more cyclists than joggers along that route!
      I cycle that route all the time. I don't think I would have the stamina to run that route though

Comment

Originally posted by RCTP View Post
        It was especially exhilarating when cycling along Changi Coast Rd to planes landing and taking off. Felt like Maverick from "Top Gun" when he reached Miramar and riding parallel to the runway.
        Yes, a great stretch of road to be on when you are racing (and losing to) an aircraft taking off...

Earlier this year., during the Singapore Airshow, I was doing just that on foot, running along the Coastal Road, and I was taken aback when an Airbus A350 took off right beside me..."Where did that come from???" I was thinking.

Turns out it was doing a touch-n-go (as 9V-SPL pointed out in this thread...)...
        Last edited by yflyer; 28 May 2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GLAM82 View Post
          I cycle that route all the time. I don't think I would have the stamina to run that route though
          Some folks enjoy cycling, others like to run...for me, I find myself aching in places I never knew existed after cycling, and prefer running, although many of my friends are cycling fanatics! And Singaporean drivers just don't have a clue how to deal with cyclists...

Comment

Some folks enjoy cycling, others like to run...for me, I find myself aching in places I never knew existed after cycling, and prefer running, although many of my friends are cycling fanatics! And Singaporean drivers just don't have a clue how to deal with cyclists...
            Being a driver and a cyclist, I stick to the Park Connector whenever I cycle. I will not take the risk of cycling on the road.

Comment

Being a driver and a cyclist, I stick to the Park Connector whenever I cycle. I will not take the risk of cycling on the road.
              Good on you. Much safer to stay on the park connector track. That said, when I was running there this morning, there were many cyclists who chose to ride along the road itself, sharing the road with all manner of cars and heavy vehicles.

The view down the Park Connector from my run this morning...

Comment

I've personally seen the Police death tent there and also know of someone whom had an accident there. There's just no way I would cycle on the road there knowing full well the number of incidents that occur there every year.

Comment

As both a driver and cyclist, I drive and ride defensively. Knowing how most drivers aren't tolerant of cyclists,I try to keep as much as possible to the road kerb. And at least I'll know how drivers will react to cyclists like me.

But thank goodness for the park connectors, makes it a lot safer.

Comment

On my run along Changi Coast Road this morning, I saw this TAM 777 taking off...Does TAM fly here, or was the plane here for maintenance?

And we have this on flightradar24...

TAM aircraft aside, there were quite a few cyclists out today (Fairly overcast...great day for a run or a cycle). Not much interesting traffic observed on 02C along the way between 10.30am and 11am...just lots of Jetstar, Silkair and Air Asia A32x's and a whole bunch of SQ 777s.
                    Last edited by yflyer; 21 December 2014, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I was there cycling as well on Sunday morning around 7am.

Comment

I was there cycling as well on Sunday morning around 7am.
                        Missed you by a few hours! Very pleasant in that area in the early morning.

Comment

I used to park my car at Emergency Gate E2 to gawk at the beautiful birds. Nothing beats witnessing these majestic flying machines speed down the runway and taking to tbe skies right before your eyes, with the thunderous roar of powerful GE or P&W engines to complete the experience!

Yeah, I know Changi's nothing compared to Manchester but we just take what we've got. And yes, I have been caught by the police many, many times.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
                            ...Nothing beats witnessing these majestic flying machines speed down the runway and taking to tbe skies right before your eyes...
                            Yup...when I am running along that stretch, time passes faster when I am watching the planes take off as I run along the straight 6km path...at least when something more interesting than a 737 or A32x comes along.

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
                            ...I know Changi's nothing compared to Manchester...
                            Never been to Manchester and didn't realize how busy it was..after reading your comment I googled the airport, and was surprised at the amount of traffic, and how popular it was with spotters...

Comment

Never liked B737 and A320. Give me a B777 or A330 anytime! I miss those days when the A345 was still around. I've never been to MAN too but I've seen enough of those YouTube videos to want to visit that place. These birds literally take off right in front of you. And you don't have to worry about getting caught by police!

Comment

Cycling and Jogging Track between East Coast Park and Marina Barrage / GBTB East Open

Good news...they have recently completed the footpath/cycling bridge and linkway along the East Coast Park footpath/cycling track (after Fort Road) that leads right up to Gardens By the Bay East, and the Marina Barrage.

That means that you can now cycle (or jog...) all the way from Changi Point (including Changi Coast Road) and Changi Beach Park, along various Park Connectors and the East Coast Park, all the way to Marina Barrage, Gardens By the Bay, and from there continue to Marina Bay and the city heritage district, along a dedicated cycling track and footpath.

This video (Not my video, a public FB video from 12Cycle) shows the section of East Coast Park after Fort Road, which is now open.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=794693693940078

Comment

Working...
                                X