Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting in Brazil GRU to GIG

Dear All,

I need to travel to Brazil (final destination Rio De Janeiro GIG). I checked SQ website and they offer an option from SIN-GIG via BCN and GRU.

SQ68 lands in Sao Paulo (GRU) T3 at 1720hrs and I need connect to Tam Linhas Aereas (JJ3668) departing GRU T2 to GIG at 1935hrs.

Please advise me:

1) I presume that SQ will tag my bags to final destination GIG.
    2) Do I clear immigration and customs at GRU or final destination GIG?
    3) Assuming SQ can only tag my bags to GRU, this mean I will need to clear immigration at GRU, collect my bags and then re check-in at T2 for the domestic flight. Is the transit time of 2.15hrs sufficient?
    4) How do I get from T3 to T2? I am travelling with 2 elderly folks who can’t walk fast.
    5) Is there a better flight option from SIN to GIG?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

others may be able to help further, and perhaps even correct me if i'm wrong, but from my experience (that is dated 2010):

2. as you will be entering Brazil in GRU (and the GRU-GIG is domestic) you will clear immigration & customs at GRU.

3. In 2010, I had only hand-luggage but my 2 hr transit had quite some spare time to spare.

4. iirc, both Terminals are under one roof, or at least connected and covered from elements. But I do remember its quite a walk, and possibly thru escalators. Have you considered asking SQ (or whichever carrier you decide eventually) to arrange for wheelchairs at GRU (i know some older folks might resist that tho).

5. In 2010, before SQ flew to GRU, I flew SQ to LHR and then TAM to GRU and GIG (see TR here). I was considering SQ to JNB and then SAA to GRU but I was flying during World Cup Finals in JNB. Several SQtalkers suggested SIN-DXB-GRU on EK and SIN-DOH-GRU on QR. You have to check whether those routings are still available given the 4 yr lapse since.

I hope you are flying J, with elderly folks esp, its a really long flight. All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
      4. iirc, both Terminals are under one roof, or at least connected and covered from elements. But I do remember its quite a walk, and possibly thru escalators. Have you considered asking SQ (or whichever carrier you decide eventually) to arrange for wheelchairs at GRU (i know some older folks might resist that tho).
      1 and 2 are under the same roof and were walkable in the past when SQ was in T1 however I believe the whole of star has moved to T3, and I haven't visited yet, but from what I hear from colleagues who passed through there it is a bus ride and not walkable anymore from the T1-2 complex.

As for alternative routes to GIG... i can only say this one thing: There is no shortcut.

None of the routes are short, none of them are easy, regardless of class of service. None of them will leave you smelling like a bunch of roses, nor feeling like a million bucks afterwards. It is a crappy crappy journey.

The SQ one you have is just about the best you can do. You can cut out one stop by going LHR-GIG or FRA-GIG or CDG-GIG on BA/LH/AF (or JJ) And that's just about as optimal as you can get.

Comment

Dear jammed and SQflyergirl

Thanks so much for the advice and tips. Unfortunately, we are flying in Y.
        The other options would be to fly to GIG directly with EK (transit in Dubai) or KLM (via AMS). EK's Y has 3-4-3 arrangement so I am trying to avoid that; while KLM has a 8-hour stop on the return leg. The long journey will be a big challenge in Y but I thought flying on SQ will be "the lesser of horrors".

Comment

Working...
        X