Sao Paulo GRU INT-DOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sao Paulo GRU INT-DOM

Any first hand experience with INT-DOM connection at GRU?

Arriving on TK at 2020 and thinking of going to Brasilia on JJ at 2205 (1h45 to connect). We will be on separate tickets.

Is it too tight? Are queues and baggage claim long at this hour?
    Or will we be better off taking the next day's flight?

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post

Arriving on TK at 2020 and thinking of going to Brasilia on JJ at 2205 (1h45 to connect). We will be on separate tickets.

Meu Deus!

Have had many INT-DOM connections at GRU, and really Guarulhos is a mad house anytime of the day. I think you're cutting it awfully close....

I'm on a TK15 soonish, and definitely staying the night before going on to SDU the next day....

Comment

I agree with SQflyergirl 1 hr 45 mins is tight for GRU.... I am only comfortable(ish) with a 2 hour connections at GRU.

TK is Star Alliance, so if you are connecting with JJ, you may have the option to check baggage through to final destination, worth asking? I regularly fly SQ routing NRT > SIN > BCN > GRU then GRU > MVD or EZE (last sectors with TAM on seperate ticket) and SQ never have an issue checking my baggage to final destination (and it arrives!).

That will allow you more time to transfer between flights if you don't need to collect luggage etc.

Comment

Thank you both for your advice.
        We are skipping BSB and will head to RIO first, possibly on the GOL 23h45 flight.

On the return, thinking of making a day stop in Sao Paulo before the wee hours of SQ flight, any idea if there is a left luggage facility at GRU? And if it will be open till midnight or so.

Comment

If you are arriving into GRU off an international flight and plan to connect to a domestic flight leaving GRU, you will need to claim your bags after immigration and clear customs before heading upstairs to the departure level and check in for your domestic flight.

Btw, don't G3 flights from GRU fly into GIG and not SDU? Are you sure, you don't wanna rest one night in Sao Paulo and catch a flight to SDU leaving out of CGH the next day? That way, you'll be leaving out and arriving in the domestic airports in the respective city centers instead of the international airports (GRU and GIG) on the outskirts of town.

If you do end up flying out of CGH into SDU on G3, for example, sitting on the right side of the aircraft will give you that amazing view of Corcovado and Christ the Redeemer statue upon descent into Guanabara Bay in downtown Rio where SDU is situated.

Ditto, for your departure via Sao Paulo. Fly back into SDU, book a relatively inexpensive hotel room somewhere near Avenida Paulista, so you can walk around, do some shopping, and enjoy a good meal before you take a taxi (with a flat rate) to GRU later that night.
          Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

On the return flight, TAM has a flight out of SDU into GRU arriving at GRU at 2330. SQ flight is at 0225 (2h55min connection). How is GRU at midnight? If GRU at midnight is a madhouse like BOM is at midnight, then even with 3hours, it is still a tight connection.

Anyway, G3's late night flight from GRU is indeed to GIG and the price is 3x competitors' flights the day after from GRU/CGH into SDU so we decide to rest first in Sao Paulo on arrival. We are also off a 38-hour journey starting in Jakarta so don't think we will push another 6 hours to Rio the same night.

How much time should we plan for transfer to airports on a Tuesday afternoon? Av Paulista to GRU? Av Paulista to CGH? And how much would the taxi fares cost to each.

I am also picking a hotel. Either near Av Paulista (metro: Brigadeiro) or near Anhangabau. I am an architect and am very keen on visiting Brazil's modernist architecture (MASP, Ibirapuera, Ed. Copan, Ed. Italia, view from Banespa, Memorial da America Latina, Pinacoteca, etc). Based on what I check so far, Anhangabau seems to be more strategically located for this purpose, right? We are not into shopping, and not looking into fine dining for this trip.

Comment

I am also picking a hotel. Either near Av Paulista (metro: Brigadeiro) or near Anhangabau. I am an architect and am very keen on visiting Brazil's modernist architecture (MASP, Ibirapuera, Ed. Copan, Ed. Italia, view from Banespa, Memorial da America Latina, Pinacoteca, etc). Based on what I check so far, Anhangabau seems to be more strategically located for this purpose, right?
              Oh, then you should def spend a little more time in SP, at least two nights. The closer you are to Paulista, the more convenient it will be to get around. You'll be close to metro stops and the area is also saturated with taxis and taxi stands, very convenient especially at night. And in the daytime, you can walk around too. Take taxis to go around and see the sights, be super alert when taking the metro--even Brasilians get pickpocketed on the metro. The Anhangabau metro is close to certain sights to visit during the daytime, but I personally don't know anyone who's spent the night in that area.

How is GRU at midnight?...If GRU at midnight is a madhouse like BOM is at midnight, then even with 3hours, it is still a tight connection...How much time should we plan for transfer to airports on a Tuesday afternoon? Av Paulista to GRU? Av Paulista to CGH? And how much would the taxi fares cost to each
              On a Tuesday afternoon, I would leave Paulista 2 hours before the scheduled domestic flight at CGH just to be safe. Taxi fare Paulista to CGH on the meter should be less than R$20-25. Paulista to GRU taxi fares typically command a flat rate of around R$110, but you really should only be going back to GRU to catch an international flight (or if you run out of CGH flight options at the peak of summer).

GRU at midnight is pretty quiet, not at all like BOM. The only flights leaving around that time per my recollection is AA to DFW, Copa to PTY, and all the guys heading to Asia. If you do transfer same day between JJ and SQ, make sure both airlines know you're transferring in between the two, so they can tag your bags accordingly and rebook you in case of delays/cancellations (I myself prefer to spend a full night or book a day room in SP before I catch my EK flights back to the East)
              Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Working...
              X