Another Award Chart Devaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
    It just means the fuel surcharge will be factored into the base fare of a ticket instead of being a seperate fee. It's not being done away with, per se.

This primarily benefits redemption tickets because the miles cover the base fare, which in turn covers the fuel surcharge. Although, whether this is a nett positive after the increase in burn rates, is debatable.
    Seems like a fair deal. Cos YQ often goes up to S$500 or more for long haul - and that is hefty..

Comment

Dropping YQ is a great move and I tip my hat off to SQ for going through with this. There is no explanation why this is charged separately.

In terms of value, it's easier to calculate total cost for comparison. I value my miles at 2 SGD-Cents:

There are NO changes to Zones 1 to 6 and Zone 8.

SIN-BKK in Biz: Was 17.000 miles one-way plus 100 SGD fuel surcharge [440 SGD total]. Now is 20.000 miles and no surcharge [400 SGD total]. I am better off.

SIN-CPT in Biz: Was 38.250 miles one-way plus 240 SGD fuel surcharge [1005 SGD total]. Now is 45.000 miles and no surcharge [900 SGD total]. I am better off and no complaint.

Prices increase slightly for other zones.

SIN-SYD in Suites: Was 63.750 miles one-way plus 190 SGD fuel surcharge [1465 SGD total]. Now is 80.000 miles and no surcharge [1.600 SGD total]. That’s increasing my total cost by 9%.

SIN-FRA in Suites: Was 91.375 miles one-way plus 250 SGD fuel surcharge [2.080 SGD total]. Now is 115.000 miles and no surcharge [2.300 SGD total]. That’s increasing my total cost by 11%.

SIN-JFK in Suites: Was 93.500 miles one-way plus 330 SGD fuel surcharge [2.200 SGD total]. Now is 120.000 miles and no surcharge [2.400 SGD total]. That’s increasing my total cost by 9%.

Comment

I'm looking to book SIN-TPE RT for my mom for end May departure, currently it's 46,750 miles + $360++. New chart is 55k Miles + ???. Hopefully it's just $50 or less on the new chart.
        Flickr, Reviews, SIN Credit Card Usage Reference Table

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post

In terms of value, it's easier to calculate total cost for comparison. I value my miles at 2 SGD-Cents:

SMK77, how do you arrive at SGD0.02 per mile ?
          If I do a reverse calculation, say SYD-SIN in Suites, the value of a mile drops from about 4.36c to 3.57c under the new rates. About 18% devaluation, on this sector.
          F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by SQJunkie View Post
            SMK77, how do you arrive at SGD0.02 per mile ?
            If I do a reverse calculation, say SYD-SIN in Suites, the value of a mile drops from about 4.36c to 3.57c under the new rates. About 18% devaluation, on this sector.
            That's my acquisition value. I get miles for 2 Cents and use them if I get more than 2 Cents out of them.

The changes are fair and balanced and in the bigger picture the total cost for my award travel will be more or less the same.

The only disadvantage (for others) is that money will be replaced with miles so less people will be able to redeem as you need to acquire the miles first. That's positive for others who will enjoy better availability.

Comment

Originally posted by lcpteck View Post
              I'm looking to book SIN-TPE RT for my mom for end May departure, currently it's 46,750 miles + $360++. New chart is 55k Miles + ???. Hopefully it's just $50 or less on the new chart.
              It should be. Previously, when I get the SQ flights using UA miles, the taxes were always around $50.

Comment

I don't have any access to the figures, but does anyone know how it changes for SIN-LHR return?

Comment

Originally posted by lcpteck View Post
                  SIN-TPE return today is 46.750 miles and 360 SGD YQ and airport taxes.
                  SIN-TPE return going forward is 55.000 miles and no YQ and airport taxes.

You spend additional 8.250 miles but save 360 SGD. That's 4.4 cents per mile.

Comment

Originally posted by iflyy View Post
                    I don't have any access to the figures, but does anyone know how it changes for SIN-LHR return?
                    The links to the figures have all been provided.

SIN-LHR goes from:

68.000 miles +240 SGD YQ
                    to 85.000 miles and no YQ.

You spend additional 17,000 miles and save 240 SGD.

Note that the Standard Award is 120.000 miles. For 40% more miles you basically can take any flight you want.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                      The links to the figures have all been provided.

SIN-LHR goes from:

68.000 miles +240 SGD YQ
                      to 85.000 miles and no YQ.

You spend additional 17,000 miles and save 240 SGD.

Note that the Standard Award is 120.000 miles. For 40% more miles you basically can take any flight you want.
                      Thanks! The problem with the figures is that the YQ fees have always been opaque to me, not so much the miles. I just wanted to figure out what the trade-off is in terms of YQ vs miles, which you have illustrated very clearly for me!

Comment

I don't think it's too crazy a devaluation. However, for those based in Australia and credit their loyalty points to KrisFlyer, this is a bit of a double whammy as banks are also starting to devalue Points earn rates on credit cards as a result of the forthcoming regulatory changes to interchange fees which will limit most banks' ability to fund rewards programs.

For what it's worth when I rang up to book something with a stopover, I was told that date changes won't result in an additional miles charged as long as the award ticket is still valid (12 months from date of first flight).
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

The enhanced redemption upgrade chart is not out yet? I only see the full redemption one.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                            It just means the fuel surcharge will be factored into the base fare of a ticket instead of being a seperate fee. It's not being done away with, per se.

This primarily benefits redemption tickets because the miles cover the base fare, which in turn covers the fuel surcharge. Although, whether this is a nett positive after the increase in burn rates, is debatable.
                            It'll be good if claiming a redemption in low season and one has plenty of miles. Last year I booked YX return to SIN and it cost me 70% of the paid fare because most of it was fuel surcharge.

Comment

I'd like to see this devaluation with a bit more context to understand the overall value of KF as a loyalty program. Granted being able to redeem miles for award flights is one of the key value elements and this needs to factor in both amount of miles required plus availability. In the absence of availability figures to compare with other airlines it is difficult to say whether SQ has better or worse availability than others. What definitely I find hugely annoying is the waitlisting policy and having to chase them for this. It is not very customer centric to say the least.

Where the proposition is hugely diluted is in the non-written benefits, which, in my humble opinion, have a great impact in the perception of recognition. Little gestures in moments of need, a surprise upgrade here and there, getting you on an earlier flight back home even if that means a bump up... those are the little moments that matter where any other premium carrier would see the opportunity to wow, and SQ decides to abide by totally rigid policies - no exceptions.

I was (and still am, to an extent) a huge fan of their onboard service and crew, despite the continuous cost cutting exercises that have impacted it. But when I l look at the overall value proposition, I am feeling more and more detached over time. I used to go out of my way to fly them, now I find myself not being really bothered.

When competition is working really hard to wow customers on every single step of the journey and one decides to stick to the same old recipe, this can only lead to a continuous decline, as we are sadly seeing in their results.

Not pretending to troll SQ or anything like that, it is still a company I admire in many aspects, but rather share my feeling regarding this latest twist - I expected to be really upset by it but I just found myself pretty indifferent, and that I guess is a bit sad when it comes to customer loyalty.

Comment

Despite the impending changes,I am pleasantly surprised to be able to book a pair of J for SIN/JNB/SIN(Dec 2017),SIN/IST/SIN (Nov 2017) and a pair of F for SIN/SYD/SIN (Jan 2018) & SIN/AKL/SIN (Feb 2018). All saver awards.. with availability! I am happy to clear all my KF miles and pay the high YQ before 23/3! I am astonished that there is no rush from KF members to redeem before the devaluation or am I missing something??

Comment

Working...
                                X