Changi delays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
    Paya Lebar Airbase is not just an airbase but an MRO base as well, so you do see commercial jets going in for maintenance.
    Yup, am aware of that. As far as I'm aware, commercial jet's flying in and out of PLAB do so during the daytime. This, coupled with the low noise signature of their engines, is easily drowned out during the day by the din of traffic. Not unlike fighter jets turbojet engines, which can be heard for miles.

Comment

• New taxiways to be built at Changi Airport

It was earlier announced that as part of the Changi Airport expansion plans, a new Terminal 5 will be constructed and a three-runway system implemented to accommodate long-term air traffic growth and support Singapore’s continued success as a global air hub.

To implement the three-runway system, there is a need for new taxiways to be built around the existing Runway 2 to facilitate safe and efficient aircraft circulation. The new taxiways will link existing airport facilities, such as Terminals 1, 2 and 3 and Runway 1, to the new facilities at Changi East, such as Runway 3 and the future Terminal 5. Please refer to Annex A for an illustration of the three-runway system.

Land acquisition

The Government will be acquiring a part of Tanah Merah Country Club (TMCC) (Garden Course) for the new taxiways. Based on existing estimates, six holes of TMCC’s 18-hole Garden Course, three tennis courts and two storage sheds may be affected. The Singapore Land Authority (SLA) will gazette the land affected by the acquisition on 17 Feb 2014.

As part of the Government’s engagement with TMCC on lease extension decisions, the Government had earlier informed TMCC about airport expansion works that could affect the Club. SLA and CAAS are in touch with the management of TMCC to assist the club in mitigating the impact of the acquisition.

Illustration of the runway system at http://appserver1.caas.gov.sg/caasme...way_System.pdf

Comment

• The loop taxiway looks like an excellent idea to circumvent the issue of waiting for the runway to be clear if an aircraft needs to cross the it. One of my earliest memories of arriving at LHR was having to wait a long time to cross the active runway to get to Terminal 4.

Comment

• That looks like a seriously long taxi ride. Better pray one is not landing on Runway 3 and disembarking at T3 or vice versa, unless of course you're a plane spotters in which case you'll be one happy camper.

My two cents would be to create extra taxiways at each end of Runway 3 so that aircraft don't have to taxi to the central crossfield taxiway - this saves time especially for departing planes which normally go to the ends. The cost benefit of it, of course, would depend on the number of planes needing to do this cross over.

Comment

• I think they will start off with the two central taxiways as most of the land in between are planned for T5.

Comment

• The southern loop would be fantastic for photo taking

Comment

• Changi looking into reducing aircraft separation to reduce delays. Glad to see them considering options (I have been 'stacked' inbound to Changi a few times this year) but I can't help thinking full mixed mode use of runways would be a quicker and easier option....

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) and the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) have signed a Working Arrangement to conduct a study of aircraft wake turbulence at Changi Airport, with the aim of reducing aircraft separation standards safely.

Wake turbulence is turbulence which is generated by the passage of an aircraft in flight. It will be generated from the point when the nose landing gear of an aircraft leaves the ground on take-off and will cease to be generated when the nose landing gear touches the ground during landing.

The outcome of the study could increase runway capacity at Changi Airport and other airports globally.

Due to the safety hazard posed by wake turbulence, an aircraft following behind another aircraft, for example, in departure or landing, must maintain an adequate safe distance. The minimum safety separation between two aircraft, in turn, determines runway capacity. Recognising this, CAAS and EASA will work together to conduct wake vortex measurements of aircraft operating at Changi Airport.

The study will involve real-time data collection via the use of laser imaging detection and ranging technology (LIDAR), as well as a review of air traffic control working procedures and methods to ensure safe aircraft separation. Outcomes and recommendations from this study would potentially provide the scientific basis for further enhancement of aircraft separation standards, without compromising on safety.

Executive Director of EASA, Mr. Patrick Ky, said, “CAAS and EASA have established a long-standing cooperation for the development of the highest aviation safety standards. This new Working Arrangement will bring valuable data and information on wake turbulences in an operational environment and will further improve our understanding of this complex topic in order to guarantee the highest level of safety to passengers.”

Director-General of CAAS, Mr. Kevin Shum, added, “This study is timely, as Singapore and others in the international aviation community are finding various ways to optimise runway capacity to handle more flights in a safe manner.”

Comment

• I do recall reading some studies on the optimisation of LHR's runway capacity by reducing the time and distance separation.

Granted, there are differences between Changi and LHR such as environment and airspace congestion, but I am not sure if wake turbulence differs that much from runway to runway that it warrants a new study on this, taking into account that wake turbulence is due to aircraft size more than anything else.

Comment

• speaking of congestion, I noticed apart from the flight congestion, the immigration is also congested now. The longest I've been queuing was 1 hour 30 minutes. The most recent one was 30 mins. back in 2000s this thing did not happen.

It seems that they need a Narita-style check before allowing people to queue. A lot of people (certain groups of peoples - I will not name what is it - you know well enough if you travel to changi often) can't be bothered to fill the immigration form in before heading to the queue. I even encountered one person who is confused on how many days s/he will have to write on the form and asking his/her colleagues. Illegal immigrant?

Comment

Working...
                    X