Changi delays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changi delays

Was listening to SIN radio on LiveATC.net and overheard that there are currently 11 aircraft at holding point for departure and pilots can expect at least 25 minutes wait. Am I right in saying that this is a daily occurrence at this time of the day? Maybe it's time to think about adding another runway for civilian use.

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
    Was listening to SIN radio on LiveATC.net and overheard that there are currently 11 aircraft at holding point for departure and pilots can expect at least 25 minutes wait. Am I right in saying that this is a daily occurrence at this time of the day? Maybe it's time to think about adding another runway for civilian use.
    Nothing new. If I'm at the airport in the evening TWY NC3 will definitely get jammed up at least once (usually more often) with aircraft holding for 20C departures and I'm pretty sure that's the same case with TWY EP as well. Happens during the morning rush too.

The main problem is that 20R is usually an all-arrivals runway unless there is runway closure, and ALL departures are channeled to 20C (which also sees arrivals), causing such a jam.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
      Nothing new. If I'm at the airport in the evening TWY NC3 will definitely get jammed up at least once (usually more often) with aircraft holding for 20C departures and I'm pretty sure that's the same case with TWY EP as well. Happens during the morning rush too.

The main problem is that 20R is usually an all-arrivals runway unless there is runway closure, and ALL departures are channeled to 20C (which also sees arrivals), causing such a jam.
      That's plenty of jet fuel being smoked!!

Comment

My last two mid-afternoon departures have both been delayed between 30-60 mins, ostensibly due to weather. Have also wondered why they don't open 20R for departure in such instances.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post

If your office were in Changi North and Bozzie his holding his morning brief, I am sure he would be damn irritatedd with 02/20 R take offs

Someone should consider reclaiming Singapore all the way to Pasit Gudang

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
            If your office were in Changi North and Bozzie his holding his morning brief, I am sure he would be damn irritatedd with 02/20 R take offs

Someone should consider reclaiming Singapore all the way to Pasit Gudang
            If "Bozzie" was annoyed by aircraft noise he can bloody well invest in double-glazing or stop being a skinflint and situate his office away from the flightpath. Either way, I don't want my flight schedules hampered by the desire to not disturb Bozzie...

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
              Am in Changi South. Take-off are 'quiet' but you can certainly the landings into 02L. You get used to it. Bozzie too...

Comment

I do see the odd freighter aircraft from bay 500+ departing from 20R. Maybe ATC accommodates them as they are near the runway. Modern turbofan engines have come a long way that their noise footprints actually lessen as they climb out. You can just about hear them from CBP as they climb out of 20R. Unless if you are talking about B727 ! And with the offices insulated with full glass ceiling to wall, you should barely hear them. ATC should seriously consider diverting some departure traffic to 20R if the queue for departure is increasing with the priority given to "quieter" aircrafts.

Comment

On a sidenote, couldn't help wondering what could have happened, if LTA officials were managing the airport and saw this scene. Imagine ERP gantries along NC and EP.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                    On a sidenote, couldn't help wondering what could have happened, if LTA officials were managing the airport and saw this scene. Imagine ERP gantries along NC and EP.
                    Noooooooo........ ERP is one sista of Singapore worst man-made disaster. The other being COE

Let's just keep the Econs textbooks back on the shelves

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
                      Was listening to SIN radio on LiveATC.net and overheard that there are currently 11 aircraft at holding point for departure and pilots can expect at least 25 minutes wait....
                      11 is nothing. I have experienced 50+ at JFK during evening peak. We took off after 100 minutes and was 70 minutes late for arrival.

Comment

I wonder if this is why 3K has added another 5-10 mins to their KUL-SIN flights..

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                          11 is nothing. I have experienced 50+ at JFK during evening peak. We took off after 100 minutes and was 70 minutes late for arrival.
                          Yikes, what if one has an immediate connection.

Speaking of which the last time I was on bus 856 on 8/31 which pushed back at STD, took off +45 and eventually still made it at gate 15 at Chek Lap Kok on the dot. The boys in the cockpit must have really throttled

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                            I wonder if this is why 3K has added another 5-10 mins to their KUL-SIN flights..
                            I noticed that TR has also padded extra 5-10mins to some of their flights. My SIN-BKK flight in late Oct was "lengthened" by 5 minutes.
                            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post

It is exactly why, years ago, the flight times in the timetable between Heathrow and Edinburgh magically increased from 1hr to 1:30hr even though I'm pretty sure, no matter how hard we tried, Edinburgh didn't relocate much further away.

Comment

Working...
                              X