Finding a hotel in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
    I'm now a bit scared of my safety at Nai Lert Park, because its next to the British Embassy.
    I never thought about that. You'd better take your NBC suite, gas mask and bullet proof vest as well as you just never know.

Fortunately I think the Al Qaeda SAM Battery in the Gulf of Thailand is down for maintenance at the moment.

Comment

Lol. I found very good rates on asiarooms, is it reliable, can it be trusted? Any problems booking with them? Their rates are very good, Grand Hyatt can be SGD313/night with breakfast. Is it to good to be true?

Comment

After much searching, I'm considering the following...
        1. Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok
        2. Royal Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok
        3. Royal Orchid Sheraton
        4. Westin Grande Sukhumvit

Comment

Have any of you tried the Sukothai?

Comment

Nope. Is it good?

Comment

I'm now a bit scared of my safety at Nai Lert Park, because its next to the British Embassy.
              On the upside they know how to throw a good party at the British Embassy. I got invited to several when I was posted to Bangkok and they were never a let down.

Comment

But, I really could not grasp the idea for being scared because of proximity to the British Embassy. I stayed at that hotel just after renovation was done. Good room and nice swimming pool. Nice food in the restaurants as well. But It's a bit a hike to walk to Ploen Chit BTS station.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                  But, I really could not grasp the idea for being scared because of proximity to the British Embassy. I stayed at that hotel just after renovation was done. Good room and nice swimming pool. Nice food in the restaurants as well. But It's a bit a hike to walk to Ploen Chit BTS station.
                  I did stay there before as mentioned before in this thread, yes its very far from Phloen Chit station. Room is good, Swiss Business Advantage is a nice, modern and clean room. Their suites still look very old, I rather stay in a hotel which is more convenient than Nai Lert. They have a good breakfast also.

Comment

Originally posted by QSG View Post
                    Have any of you tried the Sukothai?
                    Nope. Is it good?
                    Very warm service, fantastic design elements and very good breakfast. But I'm not a fan of the gym (not sure if they've renovated), nor of the layout that forced me to walk in the Bangkok heat between the lobby and my room.
                    Last edited by jjpb3; 15 June 2007, 06:18 AM.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok
                      I stayed at the Shangri-La (some parts a bit dated IMO) last time but for a night this August, my TA was raving about booking a Spa Cottage at the above so I'll be vegetating in one of those...

Comment

Nope. Is it good?
                        I've only been at the brunch on Sundays which I think is very well executed.

Comment

I see. I guess I'm staying at Swissotel Nai Lert Park again being it the cheapest and most convenient 5 star hotel in the city. Thank you for all your suggestions. Not my first choice hotel, but still better than some. I would love Westin and the Grand Hyatt Erawan but its too pricey.

Comment

I see. I guess I'm staying at Swissotel Nai Lert Park again being it the cheapest and most convenient 5 star hotel in the city. Thank you for all your suggestions. Not my first choice hotel, but still better than some. I would love Westin and the Grand Hyatt Erawan but its too pricey.
                            Next time when you start work, consider the Grand Hyatt Erawan (provided it's still around then!). It's my company's corporate hotel. Stayed there in March. Nice, cosy and compact. Easy to navigate around. I remember leaving the cafe and arriving at the ballroom opposite in a jiffy.
                            My Cafe Adventures
                            Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                            http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
                              Next time when you start work, consider the Grand Hyatt Erawan (provided it's still around then!). It's my company's corporate hotel. Stayed there in March. Nice, cosy and compact. Easy to navigate around. I remember leaving the cafe and arriving at the ballroom opposite in a jiffy.
                              Hope they renovate Erawan soon. Lobby and elevators look a bit old. Time for a modern looking lobby. I will stay in Erawan, stepped in there last year. Nice hotel, classy. Is the cafe really opposite the ballroom? Which cafe are you referring to? I'm actually referring to The Dining Room.

Comment

Hope they renovate Erawan soon. Lobby and elevators look a bit old. Time for a modern looking lobby. I will stay in Erawan, stepped in there last year. Nice hotel, classy. Is the cafe really opposite the ballroom? Which cafe are you referring to? I'm actually referring to The Dining Room.
                                Sounds like an aircraft in need of a retrofit pending the arrival of new aircraft 5 years down the road. Well, maybe they should put a couple of Spacebeds or Skysuites in Erawan's lobby. OK I'm getting cranky. Been a long day.

I'm not sure of the cafe's name, but it's the one where everybody goes for breakfast. You step out of the cafe, cut across the centre of the hotel (where the Front Desk is) and end up at the ballroom. The entire first floor is in the shape of a square, very compact. Very unlike say, Shangri-La Jakarta, where the (huge) cafe and ballroom are on different floors, and you have to make twists and turns to get to where you want to go.
                                Last edited by The High Flyer; 15 June 2007, 05:57 PM.
                                My Cafe Adventures
                                Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                                http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X