Coronavirus : Flight cancellations and contingencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
    Now with the latest new government restrictions prohibiting visitors in Singapore, including transit passengers through Changi, Singapore Airlines has announced that it is slashing capacity by 96% through to the end of April 2020 and grounding 138 of its 147 aircraft across the SIA and SilkAir fleets. This represents 94% of its aircrafts being grounded. This is very bad.
    On the terminals side, if possible CAAS should look into the possibiliy of closing the other 3 terminals and using only one terminal for the next 30 days at least to save thousands on electricity and manpower, and equipment.
    You can't. How are you going to deal with the retail tenants?

Comment

• Originally posted by kevin-sg View Post
      Yes it could be a hiccup here. But CAAS could still try as some have other shops in the transit area in other terminals. However given that traffc have fallen well over 90% by tomorrow, there's no point even for tenants to keep their shops open and to have staff operating the shops with barely or no business at all. Even if CAAS have extednded 50% off rental, there's still staff costs and other operating costs to consider. And tenants will see that do and even some will look forward to the closing. Least the CAAS can do is to try and reduce the costs of runnig the terminals.

Comment

• Originally posted by kevin-sg View Post
        For T4, only 5 departures n 5 arrival yesterday. So not sure how the shop will survive even with the airport staff. Today even worst for T4. 1 arrival n 2 departure for CX.

For T1/T2, each have only 20+ departure today. So guess the retail shop might be more happy to close for the time being

Foresee many staffs will be put on unpaid leave or go for training course etc.

Comment

• In light of the new restriction imposed by the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC), SIA flights to PEK (SQ802 only) will continue to operate as a cargo only flight with passengers rebooked through PVG via CA, MU or SQ.
          Last edited by Not You; 25 March 2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
            Yes it could be a hiccup here. But CAAS could still try as some have other shops in the transit area in other terminals. However given that traffc have fallen well over 90% by tomorrow, there's no point even for tenants to keep their shops open and to have staff operating the shops with barely or no business at all. Even if CAAS have extednded 50% off rental, there's still staff costs and other operating costs to consider. And tenants will see that do and even some will look forward to the closing. Least the CAAS can do is to try and reduce the costs of runnig the terminals.
            I think it is CAG's decision to make now, not CAAS.

Anyway, I have just been told that combining terminal operations may well be an option now once they can sort out the tenant side and that DFS outgoing is also part of the issue.

Comment

• God speed for all! This is really unprecedented event. May the virus go away at soonest and normal lives can be back soon.

Comment

• Hi SQtalkers!

I couldn't find this already written in the thread, but does anyone know approximately how long it is taking to process refund payments with all this going on?

Comment

• I heard that flights to Australia till be suspended will April 11, that is after the Easter break.
                  Last edited by zilchster; 23 March 2020, 06:44 PM. Reason: Spelling error..."will" to "till"

Comment

• Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                    I heard that flights to Australia will be suspended will April 11, that is after the Easter break.
                    Shanghai is the only regular daily flight from Sunday, for an initial period of two weeks. After that - who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by maestro View Post
                      Hi SQtalkers!

I couldn't find this already written in the thread, but does anyone know approximately how long it is taking to process refund payments with all this going on?
                      Two weeks for mine. But it could have been much earlier, as it took me a few days between calling to cancel and getting the cancellation letter of my leave signed by my boss and emailed to them. Then they could not credit back the refund to the card I used for booking which had expired until I supplied the new expiry date. Under the current circumstances, thumbs up to SQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by maestro View Post
                        Hi SQtalkers!

I just cancelled my SIN-NRT-SIN booking last week. From the day of when I cancelled to when I received my credit card refund it was within 48 hours so great job by Singapore Airlines during these trying times

Comment

• Heard SQ is extending the KFEG/S/PPS membership of “selected” customers. Wonder how they’re going to “select” their customers... my kfeg expires end May.

I have accumulated 8k elite miles...based on travel plans would have easily made the 50k by May if not for this chaos. So I wonder....

Comment

• There’s an SQ8845 scheduled to leave Changi for HKG @2030hrs tonight. flight to be operated by A320 (MI craft?)
                            Anyone knows what this flight is for? Repatriation? Odd...there’s SQ872/871 also operating, that should provide enough seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                              Heard SQ is extending the KFEG/S/PPS membership of “selected” customers. Wonder how they’re going to “select” their customers... my kfeg expires end May.

I have accumulated 8k elite miles...based on travel plans would have easily made the 50k by May if not for this chaos. So I wonder....
                              I would have gotten my first PPS this May when I fly to Seattle.

I hope SIA will extended the accumulation period in light of the current situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                                There’s an SQ8845 scheduled to leave Changi for HKG @2030hrs tonight. flight to be operated by A320 (MI craft?)
                                Anyone knows what this flight is for? Repatriation? Odd...there’s SQ872/871 also operating, that should provide enough seats.
                                I believe there are some flights to pick/send special cargo or government arranged flights to repatriate/pick up stranded people.

Just that such news now they don't really want to make it public as some online trolls just faulting anything Govt do.

Comment

Working...
                                X