FlyScoot TZ 220 and 221, SIN-HKG-SIN, new B787-9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlyScoot TZ 220 and 221, SIN-HKG-SIN, new B787-9

FlyScoot - TZ 220, Singapore to Hong Kong. We were going to Hong Kong for a short holiday. Booked very cheap flights (total less than SGD700 return) for my family of 4.

The flight departs at 0155hrs and flight time was short, slightly over 3 hours.

This is the flight review video - https://youtu.be/yLPiAOd1mPk

Flight departs from Changi Airport Terminal 2. Flight departed on time. As FlyScoot is a low-cost carrier, expect zero frills. We had some food (for a light supper) at the Changi Airport Terminal 2 at a place called Wangz before the flight. We had boiled eggs, toast and a hot drink. The place was rather crowded at about midnight.

After getting our food, we took a slow stroll to the gates, which was rather far away. Anyway, we had plenty of time.

At the gate, we got in quickly and waited in the waiting area. Here is a picture.There were a good number of kids on this flight as this was the March Singapore school holiday week.

Boarding was swift and we got to our seats quickly. We didn't purchase any checked luggage. Instead we travelled light and had 3 cabin bags for the 4 of us. I had no problems finding overhead space for our bags. Here is a photo of the cabin, in a 3-3-3 configuration on the Boeing 787-9.

Another view of the cabin in the 3-3-3 configuration. Seat width were rather cramped.

The flight was uneventful. Everybody just wanted to sleep. Take note Scoot is a low cost carrier and no blankets are available, unless you pay for them. ($12). The plane was rather cold. All of us brought our jackets and we slept wearing our jackets.

We were all awoken when the pilot announced that we had started our descent. This was about 30 minutes before landing. Landing was smooth and the flight arrived on time. The plane turned on these rainbow lights during disembarkation. Quite cool!

The flight landed on time. However, the gate that Scoot used was very far from the Immigration counters and the people mover only started operations at 0620hrs. So all of us had to take a long walk to the Immigration counters. The sign-posting was not clear and many of us made a wasted trip down to the people mover area first before realising that the trains were not yet operational.

When we arrived at the Immigration area (after a long walk), the lines were really long. Credit to the HK Immigration officers, they were working at break-neck speed, just 8 of them, to clear a super long line. Other flights (including one an Emirates A380 from Dubai) had landed at about the same time.

Thanks for posting, Guitarsingapore!

Having experienced the 787 only in 2-4-2 config Y on JAL and in J on BA, it is quite painful to look at 9-abreast 3-3-3 configurations of this plane.

However, Scoot pricing is quite good on some of their routes, so I would not mind trying a 3-3-3 Dreamliner once, if I was on a family vacation. Whether I will be a repeat customer or not would really depend on how that first experience goes...

Comment

I am not a fan of narrowbody jets, thus I've never liked the A320 and B737 favoured by low-cost airlines. I have actually been looking forward to trying Scoot, but looking at the 3-3-3 configuration, I'm having second thoughts. Tell me that the bigger jet does make a difference to the flying experience.

Comment

Thanks for the TR. looks very tight indeed. These days I can't contemplate dealing with an 01:55 departure.

Comment

Thanks for the report. I did the SIN-HKG 01:55 departure before on the 772. The seats are really narrow, but on the bright side, I thought the recline was quite deep on TZ. Is that still the case for the 789?

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
            Thanks for posting, Guitarsingapore!

Having experienced the 787 only in 2-4-2 config Y on JAL and in J on BA, it is quite painful to look at 9-abreast 3-3-3 configurations of this plane.

However, Scoot pricing is quite good on some of their routes, so I would not mind trying a 3-3-3 Dreamliner once, if I was on a family vacation. Whether I will be a repeat customer or not would really depend on how that first experience goes...
            The experience was acceptable. The price was really good. We paid about $600 (all inclusive) for the 4 of us, for SIN-HKG-SIN.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
              I am not a fan of narrowbody jets, thus I've never liked the A320 and B737 favoured by low-cost airlines. I have actually been looking forward to trying Scoot, but looking at the 3-3-3 configuration, I'm having second thoughts. Tell me that the bigger jet does make a difference to the flying experience.
              Yes, it does. Well, no harm trying it once to experience it for yourself. You could pay a bit more to get those seats with more legroom.

Well, flying with Scoot is all about saving money.

Comment

Originally posted by dfs24 View Post
                Thanks for the report. I did the SIN-HKG 01:55 departure before on the 772. The seats are really narrow, but on the bright side, I thought the recline was quite deep on TZ. Is that still the case for the 789?
                I think the 787 seats felt a tad wider than the 772 seats, but I could be wrong.

Recline felt the same, but I can't be absolutely sure.

With such flights, I am not expecting great comfort. I just want to get to the destination safely.

Comment

Working...
                X