A Wonderful Feeling To Be Back Aboard SQ After Eight Months Being Grounded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wonderful Feeling To Be Back Aboard SQ After Eight Months Being Grounded

Many of you here have known that since June 2008, I was grounded. Being a permanent resident of Canada, I had to renew the card. After the year changed into 2009, I received the notice that my PR card would be ready for pick up by the end of January. Since then, I made the plan to take a short break to South East Asia. To be sensible, I decided to make redemption. As always, planning far ahead is not a good thing in finding SQ award availability. I was able to book days off for certain days. Thus, it hinders the flexibility.

Since the announcement of the new A330 made, I had been thinking of doing the first flight training which was announced being 16th of February as the date. Therefore, I booked my days off from work around that date.

Being a risk averse, I decided to have a confirmed booking to fly into Singapore, while taking a chance of an opening of award seats on SQ. I was able to have confirmed flights on NW as paid Y and upgrade to C using miles.

Almost every day, I was diligently calling to check whether any award opened up in FC. Four days before my planned departure date to Asia, there was an O-class on SQ11. It was a really good news for me. My first transpacific flight would be on SQ. And here are the pictorial stories about my first flight after 8 months getting used to the idea of no travel.

Welcome back to the air! I enjoyed your wonderful trip reports tremendously.

Ahh! The smell of freedom.

Comment

With the departure of SQ11 around 1pm from LAX, I had to take a very early morning flight from YVR. I picked AC which departs at 7:15am.
      Being grounded has a bad impact on my trip preparation. I had to scramble around to find and to pack what I need during the trip. I did not sleep that night. Taking taxi to the airport, this time the check-in line was not that long. Yes, I can not use the check-in machine. Fortunately, everything movd quickly, from check-in process, immigration into the US side, as well as customs. The security check as usual was slow. But I still managed to visit Maple Leaf Lounge for a half hour.

At the lounge, I made a call to DL SkyMiles checking availability for SQ award for SIN-LAX. The particular date I wanted had been showing no availability due to the fact that SIN-NRT was sold out. Again, funny system made impossible to book SIN-NRT award in Y with continuing NRT-LAX award in C. But that morning at AC lounge, one O seat opened. Unfortunately, I had to go to the gate and to board very soon. The worst part is the fact that I did not have my credit card with me (yes, I change my wallet when traveling). We tried to use the CC on file but it failed. The DL agent was very professional and courteous. He suggested me to call back once I arrived at LAX, or else to go to DL ticket counter. DL award on SQ has to be ticketed immediately. But he tried to hold it for me knowing that that was the last seat available on SQ12 on the day that I had to travel.

I boarded the AC flight, and slept almost all the way to LAX. Disembarked in a rush, and once inside the terminal I made a call back to DL SkyMiles desk. Must be a peak time, but I was able to speak to an agent. The booking was still there, but my CC on file had been denied once again. The agent suggested to me to go to DL ticket counter and paid cash.

Unfortunately, the ticket could not be issued like that. The agent had to get a supervisor. The supervisor helped me, and she still could not issue the ticket. She called the help desk, and yes, it felt the time went by so quickly. I only had 2 hours left before SQ11 scheduled to depart.

Thirty minutes later, the supervisor was able to issue my award tix. It felt so good knowing I would be on SQ flight on the way back. But yes, it meant I had to deal with canceling my NW tix, as well as a UA tix.

Walking fast from DL terminal to TBIT.

Comment

SQ LAX TBIT Check-In Counter

Once inside TBIT, I know SQ has moved to different section. I saw someone was in the process of check-in in FC counter. So I decided to take these pictures.

Well, I had to make a quick call, and sent text messages. Suddenly when I went to the F line, no one was there. I just looked around and stood patiently.
        The security guard in the picture (well, I don't know exactly the term, but he does watching people and directing pax to where the baggage screening is) asked me whether I am in F. I said yes. And he rusjed to the back office and got an SQ staff. The check-in process was very quick. Got an invitation card to the F section of the Star Alliance Lounge.

Head up for security check. A bit confusing. But it was not that bad. The whole SQ cabin crew joined the line 5 minutes later. Of course I hide my F BP. Don't want to attract attention. I always could not understand why people never listening. The TSA kept yelling about taking out laptop, LAG, belt, shoes, jacket etc, but many pax in lines just did not bother to follow.

From the security check, I just went straight ahead to the lift.

Comment

As you can see, 4th floor is the SkyTeam Lounge and 5th floor is the StarAlliance Lounge.

As you can see, you will find the lounge staff at the counter. I asked for taking shower, and she explained that she had to call the attendant, and I just needed to walked straight ahead to the right hallway, and turn left. The attendant was there, and she asked me to write down my name and flight number in the book.

The shower facility can be seen here.

Comment

I remember that Kiwi's post regarding the computer and shower facility at this lounge. Thus, a time to snap pictures. After shower, went into the F lounge, and only saw 4 other pax in there.

The more detailed pictures for this Star Alliance FC Lounge can be found here.

I was not interested in having any of the snack spreads. I just had water. As I mentioned before, the impression was a declining offerings in this lounge compare to a year ago. Perhaps it's the presentation that made them looking unappealing.

Comment

Turning on my laptop, and logging on to SQT, as well as trying to cancel my NW and UA booking on line, but it was not successful. An SQ staff went around and told everyone that SQ 11 was ready for boarding. She accompanied an old couple who later on were seating on 2D and 2F.

I went down the lift turning right following the sign towards Gate 103. Construction is happening. After passing See's Candy cart, the area reminded me of being in NY subway.

Decided to have the picture of the aircraft first. It's 9V-SPJ.

Comment

Went to the gate. Yes there are two lines. One for Premium Class and PPS pax. And the other one for Y pax. I don't remember whether EG & *G uses the same line as F/C/PPS. I got distracted by this lovely lady who rushed from the Y counter to greet me. Yes, cawhite and MovieMan, you met her 2 years ago. It's amazing that she still remembers me after a year ago I saw her. This made the start of my flight on SQ was more than expected. Made me feel at home. We chatted a bit about which inaugural I had done after first time I met her when I was doing A345 SIN-LAX-SIN inaugural.

I remembered when taking SQ11, I always had to take the door 2L. And yah, it was a sign that I had not flow SQ11 for a very long time. I was about heading out to the jetway where all Y pax headed, and of course I was reminded that I should use the other jetway which is to the left of the podium.

I boarded the door 1L, and the IFS looked at my BP, and told me to walk straight ahead and left. (I know no proper greetings but I don't care! )
                I saw 3A was occupied, as well as the couple on 2D and 2F. The LSS took my coat, and I stored my rollerbag.

It was thrilling, calming and a bless to see this view once again.

The LS came and offered me a drink. I said Krug, and he apologized due to customs duty, only 2000 Dom would be served while boarding. And yes, here is my first 2000 Dom Perignon.

In the mean time, additional two pax boarded and seated in 3CD. While enjoying the Dom, I observed other pax. Looks like they were all newbies on SQ SkySuite. I am sure you know what I mean here.

Comment

Welcome back to intl airspace Looking forward to all your trip report instalments.

Comment

As usual, LSS came around with newspapers choices as well as magazines. To my surprise, I was the only one who got an offer for PJs during boarding process. Yes, the pajamas is the black one with yellow piping - a combination that reminds me of Lufthansa. (BTW, the front zipper with the protection got a good grade from certain SQTalker. ) I changed immediately, and went ahead to the closet taking out one of the hanger. LSS rushed to the front and wanted to hang my clothes. I told her I would be fine doing it myself, and it was no trouble for me to do so. But she was waiting there, and made me feel bad. So she finished the rest of the hanging process.

Changing to PJs prior to depart is very comforting. I must say it helps a bit in giving more pleasure in flying. The relaxing moment did not last long. The bad news was delivered. Yes, no warm nuts. (Due to a pax who has allergy to nuts.) It was no big deal for me. Actually I was smiling and even chuckled a bit knowing that this board loves talking about nuts.

We pulled out from the gate 103 on time. While taxiing, the sunny day started to fade away. Shower started to fall. The sky got darker. The pilot made an announcement about the route we would fly over. It was very familiar one. Yes, I am seating on 3 F. I am supposed to be able to see Santa Monica and further north till Santa Barbara. But the clouds were bad. It made me sad. But for the sake of ritual, by looking at the map on the screen, I made a toast somewhere above or near Santa Barbara to peter11. We all miss you, Peter! Yes, it was a glass of Dom Perignon.

It was sad indeed to miss the whole scenic view of California coast when taking off from LAX. After we passed Santa Barbara, the sky got cleared away.

Comment

Welcome back to the air, and onboard SQ.

Comment

I remembered reading in this forum that being seated in the last row would get last choice since the meal order is taken from the front row. Well, no one was in row 4. Thus row 3 would be the last row. Again, a pleasant surprise, LSS came to see me first, and asked me for the choices from the menu. I told her that for:

APPETISERS
                        Steamed Maine lobster served with choice of coctail sauce or Thai sweet chilli sauce

Poached duckliver in red wine, spiced shallot compote, mirco salad

SOUPS
                        Double-boiled clear spring chicken soup with wolfberries

Lobster bisque
                        I am completely indifferent. I said that I would take whatever left since I want other pax got what they wanted. The LSS was taken a back. She tried to make me to choose, but I was being pita who is very stubborn. At the end she gave in.

Later on she came back and informed me that everyone else had the lobster as appetiser. So I told her that duck liver would be lovely for me.

Another matters came up during this conversation. I had BTCed all the way to LAX. One for lunch (veal) and one for light meal (beef sukiyaki) on LAX-NRT segment, and dinner for NRT-SIN (lobster thermidor.) LSS informed me that I had three of them on board (including the lobster). I said to her that it's kind of funny that the lobster that I would have for my dinner from NRT would be uploaded from LAX.
                        She assured me that she would ask for clarification by telex, and would make sure that NRT catering will upload the lobster.
                        Soon enough, the lunch service began.

Here is the table setting.

Garlic bread and soft bread

Poached duckliver in red wine, spiced shallot compote, mirco salad

Lobster bisque

So far, everything was great! I noticed only pax in 2F who had kyo-kaiseki.

Next, I had the salad.

Caesar salad
                        Romainne lettuce with bacon, Parmesan cheese, croutons and anchovy-garling dressing

Comment

Glad to see you're back in action again. SQ LPP and not being in the air was just too paradox for me to actually believe From what I see you had a great time once again... you deserve only the best! Have a great un-grounded time up in the air!
                          Home is where your heart is.

Comment

MAIN COURSES
                            Seared veal loin with veal sweetbread in madeira sauce, puy lentil salad, sweet-sour cherry and parsnip puree

Chinese style halibut in hot bean sauce served with stir fried vegetables

Pan roasted chicken breast served with Madeira wine sauce, baby carrots, mashed parsnip and potato

Fettucine with creamy assorted mushroom ragout, arugula lettuce and shaved parmesan cheese

After looking at the menu in the beginning of my flight, I determined not to swap my BTC veal chops with the regular main menu. Here is the veal chop.

I skipped fruit and cheese service. Went for the sweet dessert.

Warm frangipane pear tart served with vanilla ice cream

The dessert put me back on the ground. Yeah SQ 11 departs from the US and I always feel that majority prefers this pear tart, cheese cake or some kind of pies as dessert.
                            But, over all, the meal service was great. And I do feel at home.

Comment

After having two cups of Blue Mountain, I was a bit awake, and decided to watch a movie. I did not asked for the bed to be made at that time. At the end I fell asleep. I missed the opportunity to have light bites. Yeah, I see in the menu soba, buritto, Krispy kreme doughnut.

I woke up couple hours later, and had the pleasure to enjoy the light meal prior to land in NRT.

Comment

Working...
                              X