Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qantas/BA: These Are My Favourite Things (QF A380 J, BA 777 J, QF 744 F)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    Glad to hear that your plane arrived with all bits intact. Gosh, it seems it must be ... months since any news like that ? Hopefully 2009 will be a better year for QF on the news front!
    HUGE AL

Comment

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I just went on the QF A380 (QF12) LAX - SYD. It was the OQC so I assume this was the latest bird that Qantas took delivery.

I gotta say I love the J seats very much! Comparing it to SQ:

- It has more padding
      - It has more space when you sleep (I am 178cm and my legs always seem to get stuck when flying SQ's A380).
      - It is also nicer in lounging position (and everything electric) - unlike SQ which requires you to choose between sitting position or sleeping position.

However, SQ still wins on a couple of things:
      - Service - even after flying QF several times, I still miss the service in SQ
      - The width of the seat (shoulder doesn't feel so cramped whilst sleeping) - I guess you can't win them all. If you want both legroom and shoulder room, you have to pay F
      - Bathroom is noticeably larger (especially when sitting on row 11). QF one doesn't feel special or any different to the 747 or 330.

and there were celebrities on board as well! Tony Collete with her family and Eric Bana with his family. Both in F I think.

Comment

all in all SQ ALL THE WAY. YEP!!! Nothing beats sq.

Comment

Sector – LHR-AUH-MCT
          Flight number – BA73
          Class – Business
          Equipment – B777-200
          Seat – 10G

London Heathrow to Abu Dhabi

After a fairly quick bus transfer from T4 to T5 (no waiting for the bus involved for I was lucky with timing), I arrived at the fairly crowded transfer area at T5. I rocked up to the relevant desk to get my documents vetted – BA had trouble reading my boarding pass which was issued by QF in AKL, and so it was duly destroyed and replaced with a new bp on BA stock.

Security was relatively straightforward, though the attitude of one of the BAA staffers left a lot to be desired – literally screaming, in a rather condescending manner, at an elderly female pax who seemed unfamiliar with the security screening process. Plenty of people were shaking their heads at the completely unnecessary and unhelpful unfriendliness.

The first thing I did after clearing security was to head to BA’s Galleries Flounge (South, I think) to have a shower. After a long overnight flight of more than 12 hours, freshening up with a shower was my top priority. The showers were actually outside the Flounge, adjacent to Elemis Spa.

I'd taken much longer in the shower than I'd thought, for when I emerged it was almost time for boarding. I'd just realised that my flight departs from the satellite terminal and so took the train over there, a quick and painless train ride. When i arrived at my gate the flight was already boarding, so it was straight to the plane, settling down at centre aisle seat 10G and to another glass of Charles Heidsieck MEC.

As I stood up to grab some magazines, I'd accidentally bumped into the cocktail tray, which sent my glass of champers flying into the aisle with its contents partially spilled on to my jeans. An FA immediately rushed over with some wet towels, and poured a new glass of bubbles for me. Minutes later my seatmate across the aisle managed to do the exact same thing, so I didn't feel so embarassed about being such a klutz after all.

The amenity kit was also handed out. It contained the usual Elemis stuff, but the design of the kit itself had changed. I had a smart looking nylon and leather brown kit last time I flew Club World but now I got a rather dowdy clothed, blue kit.

In no time at all we were taxiing for departure, and we were off after minimal queueing for our go on the runway. After take off I lowered the ottoman and stretched out to a more comfy position. The usual bar service occurred after take off, so I had more bubbles along with a pack of nuts. I also checked out the IFE but I'd already watched most of the programs on offer on my last flight, which in some ways was a good thing as it wouldn't have been as enjoyable trying to watch IFE on that tiny PTV screen.

I enjoyed the service on this flight; the cabin crew were a rather charming and efficient lot. We had a good laugh about my champagne spilling incident from earlier. Also got some tips about things to do in Muscat as one of them had operated that particular sector a few times.

Lunch service promptly began after the cessation of the bar service. Menu for this segment here. Some quality Australian drops on the wine list. I switched to the delicious McLaren Vale shiraz for my meal. Lunch commenced with the smoked salmon and salad - salad had a weird, bitter taste. I had the oxtail for my main course - despite the crew warning me against that choice (I couldn't pick the fish choice as it contained prawns, and the other options didn't really appeal), I actually quite liked it. Generous portions of meat, and full of flavour - enhanced nicely by the shiraz. Feeling rather full and also extremely sleepy as all the flying had caught up with me, I skipped dessert/cheese.

I changed into the PJs I got from the QF flight and got a kip. The NNCW bed felt rather narrow, as the handrests don't go down with the seat as it's reclined. My small frame fitted into the seat quite nicely, but anyone much bigger would have no choice but to sleep on their sides. Nonetheless I managed to get a rather good rest; I guess the fatigue and all that boozing helped a bit.

I woke up just as afternoon tea was served. It consisted of sandwiches served in their plastic wrap. A pretty poor effort with presentation, I thought. I quite enjoyed the sweets though - we were served both the tart and the scones.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 21 February 2009, 05:04 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

We landed promptly at Abu Dhabi. About half the plane disembarked there, however continuing pax were not allowed to get off the plane. So I sat onboard and watched the cleaners do their thing.

Abu Dhabi to Muscat

Not v much to report about this rather short tag flight of a mere 50 minutes' flying time. We got a plate of canapes in Club. I also managed to fit in a few glasses of champers.

There were zero aerobridges at MCT, and so everyone was bussed to the terminal. Oman has a visa-on-arrival facility, and so there were 2 queues to get through - one at Travelex to get an entry visa (which cost OMR6 or approximately AUD24), and another for passport control.

And finally, after almost 2 days sitting on air planes, I was at my destination. Wouldn't have it any other way either.

Next: BA72 MCT-(AUH)-LHR J
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Sector – MCT-AUH-LHR
              Flight number – BA72
              Class – Business
              Equipment – B777-200
              Seat – 10G

Muscat to Abu Dhabi

Check in took an age as the agent wasn't sure whether I satisfied the Turkish immigration regulations (no visa, weird itinerary), as IST was my final destination for the day. It took the BA ground manager at MCT to sort it all out, and finally I was on my way.

BA utilises the Oman Air lounge at MCT, which wasn't spectacular but pleasant and adequate. Limited selection of beverages but that's understandable.

Boarding calls for all airlines using the lounge were made, and it was a fairly short walk to the boarding gate. There was a security check point at the boarding gate, before we boarded a bus which delivered us to the aircraft.

Serving in my aisle was a delightful lad with a Scottish (at least that's what I think it was) accent but a French-sounding name. Phillipe acted like a fatherly figure and made sure everyone had plenty to eat/drink; my champers glass was topped up before I could even blink. Because I boarded the a/c very early, I think I got through half a bottle prior to take off.

broken cocktail tray

We got the same plate of canapes on this short tag flight as on the way over. There wasn't much for the FAs to do since the cabin was so empty. Only 2 FAs were working (Phillipe and a girl in the next aisle) whilst the rest were passing lollies to each other in the galley.

Arrived in Abu Dhabi ahead of schedule for our transit.

Abu Dhabi to London Heathrow

I changed into my PJs whilst waiting on the ground. After the ground crew were done cleaning and loading, Phillipe commenced with the drinks service. The a/c soon filled up, and we were probably 75% full on this flight. Got another amenity kit, as well as the menu for this flight - unfortunately I left it on the plane.

Not that there's much to report on for the catering, as this was a Sleeper Service. Meaning you'd only get a light snack after take off, with a hot brekky prior to landing. Sleeper Service flights ex-North America get a pre-flight supper in the lounge, but because the Middle Eastern flights depart so ridiculously late we don't get the lounge supper. I'd already eaten prior to the flight as I didn't think I could wait till 1am to eat something, and feeling rather tired all I wanted to do was sleep.

Nonetheless I was talked into having some of the snacks post take off, and had some yummy cookies with hot cocoa.

A few more nightcaps of the bubbly nature were consumed before the day and the alcohol intake had caught up with me and I settled down for a solid sleep.

I didn't awake till the smells of brekky woke me up. I had the traditional English fry up. Unfortunately it was far too moist and soggy, so I didn't really enjoy it.

Chatted with Phillipe some and found out that he was also a crew trainer for safety procedures. He revealed that he'd also trained the UK-based QF crew; seems to me like the UK base is one outsourced operation through and through.

Arrived at Heathrow ahead of schedule, but we took an extremely long time taxiing and waiting for the Gate Guidance God to work his magic.

Next: QF30 LHR-(HKG)-MEL F
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 March 2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                I had the traditional English fry up.
                That looks like a huge dollop of what appears to be mash potato ?!? I've never had that for breakfast ever - it falls under the same category as spinach...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  That looks like a huge dollop of what appears to be mash potato ?!? I've never had that for breakfast ever - it falls under the same category as spinach...

Would've been much better if it wasn't so wet and soggy! Pity they didn't have black pudding. Or spinach.

Comment

Or spinach.
                    (Hums Popeye theme song)

Comment

Sector - LHR-HKG-MEL
                      Flight number - QF30
                      Class - First
                      Equipment - B747-400
                      Seat - 3A (and a bit of 4A on the LHR-HKG segment)

London Heathrow to Hong Kong

It's been a fair while since I've flown QF F now, and since then major changes to the already-fantastic soft product have been instituted, to rave reviews. QF F is indeed a rare treat, and I'd had to alter my itinerary in order to get the full QF experience. If i was going to spend that much miles I wanted the best bang for the 'buck.' Annoyingly though, F on both QF30 and QF10 opened on the original date desired a few weeks before departure by which time I'd already made non-refundable arrangements to visit Prague. No worries, I'd always wanted to check out Prague's famed nightlife anyway. The night before the flight, I was like a kid anticipating his first visit to Disneyland, and could hardly fall asleep.

I got my bp for the QF segment with BA at PRG, who was operating my first segment PRG-LHR. Bizarrely, BA claimed that they could not print my bp with my originally reserved seat in it, and kicked me out on to one of the 2 seats in the middle! Fortunately the situation was rectified at the QF transfer counter at LHR T4 and I was restored to seat 3A. I suspect it'd not had been as easygoing had the flight been fuller.

T4 was fairly empty, as most BA flights had shifted to T5. Only 1 lounge was open, the gate 1 lounge. I looked for the Flounge, only to be told that they'd merged the FCL and JCL lounges and there was no longer an actual Flounge. In spite of the subpar lounge facilities compared to T5, I actually quite enjoyed the peace and quiet at T4. No queues at transfer security, and the BAA staff were actually friendly for once! Perhaps they were so bored that they were glad to see the odd human being.

empty BA lounge

We boarded at gate 8. The line for whY snaked halfway around the terminal, whilst FCL/JCL/whY+ and persons with special needs boarded at a different counter which was empty when I got there. Saw the first glimpses of the Red Tail when I made my way down the jetway, and felt instant relief. After 1 month in strange foreign lands, it felt like I was home already.

first glimpse of home

I was greeted by name, directed to another FA, who led me to my seat. My coat was whisked away as soon as I took it off, similarly with my bags as soon as she saw that I was done with organising myself, before I could even stop her. The FA looked a lot like Anne Hathaway, but with an English accent. She offered me a drink, and who was I to say no to a refreshing glass of Krug. She did the whole 5 star routine of showing me the bottle before pouring the drink, and laid down a plate of nuts to accompany the bubbly. Ah... F is still F...

The usual amenity kit/PJs dance was also performed. We chatted whilst she was settling me into the flight, and she seemed at once surprised and pleased that I insisted to be called by my first name. She then proceeded to introduce herself as well as her colleagues in the cabin. We also shared some tips about where to hang out in HK, and of course I enthusiastically recommended the W Living Room in the faint hope that it'd have become established as the new QF crew hangout by the time I next visit HK LOL.

The 744 FCL seats are the previous generation individual seat pod type seats launched in the early 2000s. Though they've become dated and aged, the ones on QF are still in tip top condition as the seat fabrics have been refreshed not long ago with brand new seat coverings. The seats were a bit narrow but had plenty of legroom. A pretty light load today as there were only 4 of us in FCL on the LHR-HKG portion of the flight, everyone had at least 2 seats to themselves and liberal use was made of the spare seats.

Comment

The same FA then offered to take pics of me in my seat with my glass of Krug.

Take off was prompt despite the heavy traffic at Heathrow that afternoon. I changed into my PJs immediately after take off.

cool FCL toilet

And very soon after take off the festivities commenced with the handing out of the menu and more importantly - the wine list. Anne Hathaway-look-alike had disappeared, presumably to help in some other cabin; apparently whilst FCL was fairly empty, the other cabins were heaving. Bar service quickly occurred to save us from thirst, and I got my glass of Krug as requested. Canapes were also served, remembering my shellfish allergy they'd replaced the scallop item on my serving with more of the pear and cheese tarts.

The CSM came over to have a chat at this point, and we had a a pretty pleasant discussion - v nice lady who's been with Qantas for yonks and recently decided for a change of scenery and transferred her contract to London.

I was asked when I'd like to have my lunch, and as I was starving (for I'd skipped much of the rather unappetising meal on my previous flight) I requested for it to be served at once. My orders were taken and my table was laid for lunch. I was a bit confused by the new menu, as there seemed to be too many accompaniments with any one of the main course - the FA explained that I had a choice of a few accompaniments along with my mains. Apparently they were simply suggestions and I could even mix and match as i wished and ignore the menu, at my own risk of course she cheekily adds.

Menu and wine list here.

The meal service on the whole was beautifully executed, with a wide variety of choices showcasing the finest of Modern Australian cuisine, featuring high quality ingredients and exemplary presentation. Easily the best fine dining in the sky! I am not a Neil Perry fan by any means, having been underwhelmed at his establishments in both Sydney and Melbourne, but the QF menu is easily the most creative, diverse and just generally all round top drawer onboard menu I've ever seen. Only airline that comes close catering-wise IMHO is LH's rather classy and also inventive FCL menu.

And of course the all-Australian wine list meant there was lots of quality drops to choose from. I alternated between champagne, the sultry Stonier Pinot Noir, the v flavourful but hard to find Coriole Cab Sauv which I'd last come across when I visited the winery as part of the AFF RADelaide DO back in November, and the v refreshing Coldstream Hills Chardonnay.

I started with the most delicious Iberico ham; the FA suggested a vinaigrette to go along with it as it was rather dry and so I had a bit of the palm sugar vinaigrette as a dressing.

Next came the chicken and shiitake mushroom soup. I was warned that this was "just a little bit spicy" but it was in fact VERY spicy by my standards and I had to have it sent back after a few sips.

I was offered something else from the list of starters but chose to move on to the main course so as to avoid overeating. Soy Braised Duck - tasty, tender, beautifully presented and delicious accompaniments!

Dessert and cheese were next, always a delightful conclusion to any meal but one which I'd more often than not failed to reach; some serious encouragement as well as the tempting selections got me over the line this time. And a marvellous conclusion to the meal it was!

Assiette of Desserts

Watched some Thank God You're Here on the IFE, as well as Australia - even though I'd already seen it on the big screen, it was such a beautiful movie that I just had to see it again. After another bottle of Krug was consumed as well as a few glasses here and there of the pinot, the food, booze and fatigue had caught up with me. I asked for my bed to be made. You now get an actual mattress on top of the seat, with a snuggly duvet - v comfy! I'd never had such a solid sleep on a plane ever.

I woke up 2 hours before landing feeling peckish and thirsty. Quenched my thirst with yet another glass of Krug. The FA offered to make me a snack and suggested a few things on the menu; but I noticed that she had all the brekky items out in the galley and realised that brekky was going to be served soon - I simply opted for a few of the coffee eclairs to tide me over until brekky time. The CSS, a fellow Melbourne boy, was chilling out in the FCL galley, as it was a lull time in whY before the morning brekky rush.

As 4A was vacant I was able to keep my bed for a bit whilst I moved to 4A to snack and watched some of the IFE. I think I prefer 4A to 3A after comparing the 2 side by side; I like the vast amount of shelf space at 4A.

I noticed a v cosmopolitan crew onboard today, more so than usual even though I've had a few flights crewed by the UK base. The only Aussies I met were the FA at the aircraft door, the CSM, and the CSS. From their accents, I'm sure that all 3 crew members in the FCL cabin were British. The CSS mentioned that indeed there were FAs today from all over Europe. Quite a different feel from the mainly Aussie crew on non-UK crewed flights; but in a way also v Australian as we're such a cosmopolitan nation anyway. (cue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuKpJv0PlSE)

Though the UK crew were fantastic in most ways (most importantly, v prompt and eager with top ups), I note that the girls serving in FCL were trying a little too hard to come across as all polished and refined and were also comparatively formal. Perhaps they felt like they had to act in a different way in FCL, but I've also had more relaxed crew in FCL. Or most probably, perhaps due to their youth they've not had the experience and hence confidence that more experienced crew members have. Although v friendly, I thought some of them seemed to tread on eggshells just a bit too much. OTOH this is a rather minor complaint in the grand scheme of things, after all the service is still amongst the best I've had in the sky.

Comment

Brekky was served some 20 mins after I've finished my eclairs. As in JCL, we also had the freedom to put together our favourite brekky items except of course there's a wider variety of stuff in FCL. I was also able to pick out individual items from the smoked salmon concoction to add to my brekky platter. Brekky was a thoroughly enjoyable affair.

bircher muesli and apricots

chocolate roll

scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, sauteed spinach, sausages, mushrooms, baked beans

I changed back into my street clothes and gave my pearly whites a clean after brekky, and all too soon it was time to descend and bid farewell to the wonderful crew members who looked after us so well. One advantage transitting in HKG over SIN is that you're required to remove everything from the plane at SIN whereas this is not needed at HKG - handy! QF029 shall be my choice flight to LHR in future over QF009. *ahem*

To be continued...
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 13 March 2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

QF30 LHR-MEL Part II: Hong Kong to Melbourne

Got a cheesy QF sticker on my shirt from the ground staff, as well as a transit card. Boarding would occur in about an hour which would be just about sufficient time for some fragrance shopping and a shower. No queue at security. I ignored the ground staff ushering people to the QF/BA lounge, and made my way to one of CX's Flounges, the Wing for a shower. On the way there I picked up some duty free colognes, a spiffy Dior Homme and a sensual Terre D'Hermes.

All the cabanas at the Wing were booked out but in any case I had no time for them anyway. Had a quick wait for the showers, and of course took some obligatory pics whilst I waited.

My v spacious shower stall was soon ready. I think I still prefer the QF/BA showers at SIN which had some nice Molton Brown amenities, though the Wing's shower seemed better appointed - I was able to request for deodourant, which I'd mistakenly checked in.

I went back to the gate feeling rather more human. Boarding was about to occur and so there wasn't any point lingering in the Wing, as nice a Flounge as it's. And this way I get to drink more of the premier QF champers. I'd hoped that my fave bubbles would be onboard today, the Charles Heidsieck Blanc des Millenaires '95 - a great drop and, anecdotally, seemed to appear a fair bit ex-HKG.

The flight boarded shortly after I arrived at the gate. Was enthusiastically greeted at the door of the aircraft, and once again shown to the FCL FA who led me to my seat. I was quickly offered a drink as I got settle, and on this segment we were offered a choice of Dom Perignon 2000 or Krug. I was disappointed that there was no CH, oh well. Went for the Dom for a change. I was given another set of amenity kit and PJs, whilst the pax behind me asked for a female kit as he was “under strict orders” from SWMBO to collect one to which the FA was more than happy to oblige.

The cabin was much fuller on this segment, as there were only 2 empty seats. We were looked after by the Australia based crew. Despite the much fuller cabin, an extremely high standard of service was maintained throughout the flight with a noticeably more relaxed approach by the more experienced crew members. The v amiable FA serving my aisle couldn’t do enough to serve and added his own personal greetings to every pax along with those of the CSM’s.

Take off was once again on schedule. As per usual I changed into my PJs after take off.

The post take off bar service quickly began. I got chatting with the FA and couldn’t help but express my slight disappointment at the lack of CH. He had a thoughtful look, and explained that it’s a Russian roulette game as to what’s loaded so much so that even the FAs themselves couldn’t really work it out. He poured me a glass of Krug and promised to see what he could do. Next thing I know he was sweeping through the champers cupboard in the galley. And returned triumphant with a bottle of CH on the flight, which he put aside to chill whilst I worked through the glass of Krug. He discretely advised that it’s the only bottle on the plane and that he’d put it aside for me; in return I promised to finish the entire bottle.

At last, after much anticipation I was going to sip on one of the most heavenly elixirs known to humankind...

I was once again asked when I'd like to have my meal. I wasn't v hungry, so elected to have a light meal then and a heavier meal 2 hours before landing.

Once again, menu and wine list here.

I had the cauliflower soup and the steak sandwich. The latter was a bit too spicy for my liking. A spicy steak sandwich? Seriously?! i think Neil Perry is taking his "Asian influence" concept a bit too far. I love QF's v creative menu, but I also do think that some things are best done the traditional way. It was much better with the chilli relish scrapped off. The beef was v tender and fresh.

I tried to stay awake in an attempt to normalise my body clock. I had my bed made so that I could watch TV and sip on champagne or wine in bed. It was a v comfy set up, like a lazy Sunday arvo at home. The v attentive FAs came around proferring snacks from the menu every so often. Unfortunately my body clock was still stuck in European time, and before too long I'd fallen asleep, but not before I'd finished 'my' bottle of CH.

I was gently shaken awake 2 hours prior to landing as promised. I'd requested for the roast chook, to be served with the cherry tomato and oregano sauce. It was a little bit dry but was much better when more sauce was added.

The meal finished up with the v chocolate hazelnut tart, a sweet tooth's delight! And fended off the FA who was concerned that I wasn't eating enough and eagerly offered the cheese and dessert wine.

We had a longer than expected flying time due to volcanic activity somewhere in Asia which caused the flight path to be altered. As I'd felt that "the flight was too short" and given that I had no connections to worry about - this unexpected delay was most welcome! This way I also had more time to change back into street clothes and freshen myself up before getting off the plane. Also, more champagne supping at any rate. I'd moved on to the DP 2000 to neutralise the acidity left by the CH.

Descent commenced all too soon, a nasty habit that all these nice flights tend to have. The FA who'd been serving me added his goodbyes to the CSM's, which was a nice touch. Due to the longer flying time, we landed in Melbourne Tullamarine approximately an hour late.

Qantas First - an exceptional experience! The product on the whole continues to excel, with the new soft products exceeding expectations in every conceivable way.

THE END

Apologies for the slow updates this time around, work and uni have been heinous since I've gotten back from overseas. Yes it isn't a full TR in the sense that I've not accounted for the entire trip but quality over quantity as they all say. Nonetheless I hope you've enjoyed this TR, and have found it informative, as much as I've had fun sharing my experiences onboard my 2 favourite airlines.

Till the next time,
                            KeithMEL
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 13 March 2009, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks KeithMEL for finishing the trip report.

Reading about QF F has whetted my appetite nicely for tomorrow's EK F flight.

Comment

...in return I promised to finish the entire bottle.
                                You're just too kind!
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X